The Crowdfunding Thread

A legacy version of Sagrada? I’m not sure everything needs a legacy version and I love legacy games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/floodgategames/sagrada-artisans

4 Likes

The cool version of this is you end up with a full church of windows that look cool.

The realistic version of this is that the last mission is a bake sale to help repair the frames.

6 Likes

Does it come with a giant picture of a thermometer for tracking the progress of the church window fund?

6 Likes

Only in our dreams I suspect.

2 Likes

Is anyone paying £260 for foundations of Rome? Assuming the exchange rate is dollar to donut (aka pound sterling)

1 Like

If I have a job that pays a lot and have a big f-off house, then sure.

3 Likes

“We had to build a Foundations of Rome room. It wouldn’t fit in the games room.”

3 Likes

Was Foundations of Rome talked about in a recent SVWAG podcast as an example of a light game in a hug box that’s expensive due to all the unnecessary plastic?

2 Likes

Possibly - it’s a good description. It looks a bit like a lighter suburbia.

Yeah I’m not judging - if I had it spare I would but it feels like a lot still. I guess what would be really interesting would be to see who would be willing to divert a normal gaming budget for it ( a little bit like how I “rationalised” dice realms - that’s two games, but this is closer to four games).

If i were to characterise dice realms the feel it gives which is unusual For a game is an oddly physical and aggressive deckbuilder which feels like it fills a niche that doesn’t exist and so can sustain its premium on that basis.

I noped out of a Foundations of Rome playthrough video about 15 minutes in because once play started I was like…oh, you’re literally just buying lots to put buildings in. That is the game. Probably that is fun to someone but not me!

1 Like

Ah no. Didnt took it that way. Kinda difficult to justify it in my position, which will be different to another person’s

2 Likes

Whereas I thought. “That looks interesting. I’d like to play that… Why all the plastic? Why 3D? This would have been fine with cardboard (or maybe thin plastic like Blokus pieces) at 1/3 the price.”

2 Likes

What’s dumb is it is cardboard for the smaller buildings. So it’s not even consistent.

1 Like

In my earliest interactions with the hobby I was amazed at the end lay out of Carcasonne, that collective cool map we’d created with it’s janky open towns, sleeping farmers and giant fields. But I wonder if in the modern era of plastics a plenty to get even close to a similar feeling you need a three-d environment, so in the current culture with a lot of scattered minis seeing a small collectively made town with plastic buildings is a cool feeling that would not be replicated by card tiles.

4 Likes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cloudpunchergames/project-ironwood-a-399-swedish-design-board-game-table?ref=f02boo&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZGYBhCEARIsAEUXITW8V8pkicvgyO17BW8gC3_BvoGWFS4FqQSDoDTaQjlfR6sHf-Jz9kQaAiHCEALw_wcB

Very tempting, $399 for a gaming table, however the wooden plank toppers basically double the price, and it is pretty useless to me without those. And shipping would be over $200 with the toppers. Just not in my budget.

This is by the same group who did BoxThrone, which always seemed really overpriced for what you got, but overall this campaign is looking decent when you compare it to the prices of other board game tables. And the sales pitch video is worth the watch!

2 Likes

That shipping…which I guess is to be expected, that’s a lot to ship. They certainly seem to have covered everything you might want in a gaming table.

3 Likes

That’s one ugly-looking table.

2 Likes

Don’t do it. The BoxThrone is awful. I can’t stress this enough. I have 4 towers and enough space to hold about 200-250 games of various sizes and, at a quick estimate, it cost me 5x as much as the same space in a Kallax while somehow also being less sturdy and incredibly, incredibly bad to setup and use.

This company is awful and they will never get one more dollar of my money.
(Strictly speaking the company might be fine but their products are literally the worst)

4 Likes

That’s how I always felt about the BoxThrone, just from looking at it. Way too much cost involved for a modular shelving unit that you likely aren’t going to configure in any special way because a standard sized shelf is just more convenient.

Really, I would want to see a floor model of the table before pulling the trigger, as the table just doesn’t look super sturdy.

But the question is moot, as again it is too much for me if you factor in the wood toppers and shipping.

2 Likes