The Crowdfunding Thread

I dipped in on their Token Sesame and honestly, it’s fine? It’s everything they said… but I just don’t find myself getting around to taking it out and using it, let alone messing with the configurations. Because a lot of my games lately are coming designed with their own trays that, crucially, are also storage that go into the box. And the ones that don’t, eh. The table is fine tbh.

2 Likes

The token Sesame is okay at best. It’s hard to separate the bits and the holes are just too small really to hold enough bits - leaving an enlarged dice tray.

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s a bit too much friction in reconfiguring and not quite enough room to make it worth the effort, I think.

2 Likes

Visited Gamefound on a whim, just to look around. That was silly of me. Only $20 silly including shipping, but still. Pledged for this:

2 Likes

Looks flimsy, no way would I pay 400 USD for that.

1 Like

It does look flimsy, but that size of good honest steel tube ought to leave the frame pretty strong. I wonder about the base of the game area, though - the animations make it look as though there’s a series of rods and maybe some hardboard on top of it, rather than something solid.

1 Like

I also prefer my tables to be made of solid wood, not rods, plyboard, and veneer (I am making assumptions, I haven’t looked into it).

2 Likes

I am right on the fence about For Northwood. It’s so cute and compact, and only 20 dollars, and I love solo trick-taking games as a concept… but it also looks like a very simple card game with a trick-taking “theme” over it? You only have one other opponent, and you never lead the trick, which is roughly 70 percent of the enjoyment of trick-taking games for me.

1 Like

In all honesty, I’m not expecting it to feel much like a trick-taking game (although willing to be pleasantly surprised); I suspect it’s more of a hand-management puzzle, with strategic use of the special powers to mitigate the luck of the draw. So despite the label, I pledged more in the hope of a fun solo puzzle with a cute theme and good replayability than for a trick-taking game.

2 Likes

There’s always the free print and play version if you want to try it out?

Files on BGG

6 Likes

The Kickstarter for Quodd Heroes 2nd Ed was stopped and is being redone.

This gives me a great sense of vindication. I wanted to love Quodd Heroes, but it’s just… not… there? Like, the pieces are great, but the game itself…

And then The Guy (Ryan something?) offers to fix the 1st edition with this new second edition and I’m like… maybe? Because it’s just not there? But then I decided not to back it because he didn’t get it right the first time why would he get it right the second and then boom, he pulls it, which is kinda proof that he didn’t get it the 2nd time either.

So now I feel much better. But I also have to sell my copy of Quodd Heroes to less… picky… players than I.

2 Likes

Homeworld?

2 Likes

… arghhhh… I love Homeworld… but there’s no way this can be good. Why would they do this? It already exists in the perfect format! One of the “big things” about Homeworld was the admittedly-wonky 3D element to it but any attempts to put that into a tabletop game…

Argh, I say. Argh.

Now, I will say that I also expected Deserts of Kharak to be awful, and it was pretty solid. So maybe it won’t be as bad as I expect? That’d be nice.

1 Like

Has there been a boardgame conversion of a computer game which has (a) been good and (b) played anything like the computer game? (Sniper Elite is getting good press but by all accounts it’s not much like the original game.) Frag (generic FPS boardgame) can be quite fun but is very random. X-Com I guess?

2 Likes

Doom was okay. I have complaints about it (namely that it should be a single marine against multiple demon players), but it was an early and solid attempt at the FFG-RPG system that they ended up refining and improving.

Bloodborne is good, if not great. Not much like the video game in the later stages, but the early parts are pretty true to form. Ditto for the card game.

Dark Souls the Card Game is good as far as I can tell. The board game is expensive trash, IMO, but the card game feels right from reading the rules and setting it up. I will play it some day.

Fallout was a mess on release, but they eventually fixed it. Does that count?

Other than that… Adrenaline is supposed to be good, as is Sanctum (same design team) but those are both generic “video-game-esques.”

2 Likes

Seems very in keeping with a computer game adaptation. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m curious about how frost punk fairs. A small scale real time strategy game could be good. Although it also could be you doing all the upkeep the computer was doing instead.

4 Likes

We need a crying emotion hot that

1 Like

I honestly don’t know, but I will say our distributors that carries it has been pushing it for months if not years at this point, and I have never seen a copy.

95% of the time, if a distributor is really pushing a product, it’s awful. There are exceptions, but they’re rare.

7 Likes

Good to know.