Sizes of boxes that feel... right

Wait until you get to Paladins… that has even less air.

Might play it next week at some point. Definitely looking forward to that.

It’s bollocks.

It’s not like there’s even a big board to justify the box size! At least the cover art is nice …

7 Likes

I took out the minimal carboard inlay of my Architects… box which gave me enough space to also store within the Age of Artisans expansion and the metal coins.

3 Likes

Two boxes (for size comparison) that feel right. I was rather surprised how small Beyond the Sun is. I expected something at least the size of my Pandemic Legacy boxes and lots of air.

The insert is non-existent basically but this game is absolutely going to get one of my foamcore builds :smiley:

6 Likes

If they sold just the slim Brass box form for the deluxe game, I’d probably get it.

2 Likes

Damn. This is very encouraging. I just joined a BTS game without reading any rules and I’m enjoying it (also know how to play the game now)

3 Likes

It is not horribly difficult to understand that you get to place your action token one a single new hex each round, do whatever the action tells you (read the iconography for either–research, colonize, make ships|people|ore, jump to new places) and then produce either ore or people… or … trade (only @Benkyo ever does this)

Keep having a look at your automation and running out of people in the columns that produce for you.
Scan what the achievements for your given game are and remember that 4 achievements trigger the end of the game: the current round is finished and 1 more full round gives you time to finish whatever you were doing or find some more VP.

Strategywise: Level 4 tech give an awful lot of VP, in a 4 player it is almost impossible that no action slot for level 4 techs will be revealed. In a two player that can happen.

Check if planets give you bonuses for controlling them. Check what planets give you nice bonusses that mesh with your strategy.

@pillbox hope this helps :wink:

PS: dual layered player boards to hold all your nice tokens in place. Advanced boards look soooo tasty, I need to check out the details like now. Also additional expert modes in the box…

1 Like

Mysterium Park is my newest contender for Most Pleasing Box. No wasted space at all. Lovely!

1 Like

Carolus Magnus - reprinted as Eriantys - has a standard square “TTR” size box. I manage to place everything in a Carcassonne expansion box.

6 Likes

Superb box art too!

6 Likes

I’m nominating @lalunaverde for Boardgame Artist of the Year.

8 Likes

You havent even seen my final form!

Deluxe edition of Innovation :sunglasses:

How it looks on the shelf

10 Likes

Note how the artist cleverly emphasized the title of the game with the use of not one but two irregular horizontal lines. With the title being ever-so-offset from center, it creates a feeling of “a beginning”, leading the observer to seek out more. A parenthetical bit of whimsy lets us know that there is more than the bold claim at the top awaiting us in the package, and the unevenly scribed name of the designer presents “CHUDYK,” perhaps, as a question rather than a statement; asking us all “Chudyk?” To which, perhaps, nobody has an objective answer.

9 Likes

(Rolls up sleeves for a silly internet fight, meant entirely in jest:)

Your Formalist approach to the artistic merits is as lacking in imagination as it is off base. By using an appropriately Modernist approach to analyzing the post-war scarcity of the imagery used here, one can see the massive work that burying all that detail layer after painstaking layer of white snow, each flake painted uniquely, meshing into a homogeneous whole that reminds us not only of our impending mortality, but to the futility of life, the fruitlessness of effort, and the barrenness of modern artistic efforts.

Note the smiley face, an obvious reference to the “Etude en Vie” by Di Sparno in 1547, but at the same time that causes us to recall the Brutalist architecture of Cold War Yugoslavia. In conclusion, no other observation of this work can be made other than:

it all depends
upon
the simple white
cover
strewn with black
letters
in a colourful
shelf

I think I’ve made my point perfectly clear.

9 Likes

That the box for A Few Acres Of Snow should be covered in paper the colour of desert sand, yes?

6 Likes

And Through the Desert in muffins and cherry topped cakes to throw everyone off…

6 Likes

Took the opportunity of getting a boxless German Railways to make a right sized box for it. Can’t hold a candle to the stark minimalism of LLV’s box art though

8 Likes

Did you print the image yourself? If so where did you get it from? BGG image?

3 Likes

Yeah, BGG image.

Some high tech background gradients on Photoshop PowerPoint and print it on A3 at work.

3 Likes