Show off your boxes (photos of your collection)

I hadn’t planned to post again until next year but we’re not even into April and things already look dramatically different over here. I’ve also come to the realization that I’m kind of tapped in terms of interest for anything new. I put a lot of effort into retooling the shelves for solo gaming and nights with my partner and/or family, and I’m pretty keen to just enjoy what I’ve got for a while. There’s no hard rule about it, but I figure I’m more likely to jettison one or two boxes than to add anything new, so for now this is a pretty good representation of where I’m at.

Brimstone still needs a retooling, as that large bin really isn’t doing the job, but the top shelf will remain dedicated to it, no matter what it ends up looking like.

8 Likes

This looks very minimalistic on the one hand and opulent on the other. Do you hang on to Labyrinth for nostalgia or does it get played? It’s been ages and I’ve never personally owned a copy but I would totally play if someone wanted to.

As an aside: I saw collection photos posted on r/boardgames yesterday of a somewhat larger but also somewhat similar collection to yours… and what shocked me that among the boxes shown there the Gloomhaven box looked average sized (it was placed right next to Fortune and Glory).

3 Likes

You may have answered before, but what is in the wooden box under Men at Work?

1 Like

I’ll take a guess: Flick em Up wooden edition

1 Like

I’ll guess I’ll wager Junk Art then.

5 internet points to the winner.

2 Likes

I will guess the wooden box version of “The Game of Things”, hoping that I am wrong (it’s not awful, but it’s not a great game either… certainly nowhere near as good as either Men at Work or Junk Art)

Labyrinth definitely gets played. My partner got it for me for Christmas thinking it looked cute and would play well with our nephews (it does), but we’ve played a few times together as well. My daughter loves to pull everything out and put it all back away, too, so it’s a keeper one way or the other. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

P.S. @raged_norm wins the cookie. Junk Art is the woody box that survived (Flick em Up did not).

[EDIT] @yashima I forgot to mention I’ve got zero nostalgia for Labyrinth whatsoever. So from a blank slate I can confirm it holds up just fine. This is one of those kids games that’s just fine for adults if you like the puzzle of it, and it can get real mean if you want.

7 Likes

Time for my first entry in this thread. The occasion being that the shelves for our new apartment finally arrived. Due to the growth of board game collections most of you are certainly familiar with, this is the first time in years that I have enough space to fit all my games in one room.

Although on paper (or on BGG) I feel comfortable with the size of my collection, seeing all of them together like this took me by surprise. That’s a lot of games!

18 Likes

Still a little room for expansion.

I get what you mean about collection volume though.

2 Likes

Core Worlds! Polis! There’s some rarely talked about gems.

What does everyone think about Pipeline? Seeing it here, and then on Tom’s SUSD shelf has me wondering if everyone else likes it.

I thought this morning I should do an update to my shelves … it’s been a while since last time.
I still don’t have the 5x5 I dream of. But I think I could get everything in a 5x5 as long as I am allowed to use the top :stuck_out_tongue: That is until Frosthave arrives…

In any case this is most of my collection as it is currently distributed around the apartment. The Kallax is behind me in my office. The rest is hiding out in the living room.

I also have a bunch of boxes that are in my “out tray” hiding away in boxes and other shelves.

PS: Ghost Stories expansion box is not a Ghost Stories expansion but my collected Leaving Earth Stuff. I should really craft myself something nice for Leaving Earth. Such a great game I wish there was a collector’s big box for it.

PPS: missing 3 games my Brass Birmingham, Cryptid and Pandemic Fall of Rome will return home when my cousin comes to visit on Easter :wink:

17 Likes

Ooooh love the German name of Battle for Rokugan. You have to love that Kampf!!!

Great collection, you should be proud!

3 Likes

SVWAG recommended Core Worlds highly and I’ve had a lot of fun with it so far. It could use a prettier second edition though. I’ve only two-handed a game of Polis, but I really enjoyed what I saw there. Unfortunately, I don’t have the gaming partner to get even this euro-y kind of wargame to the table.

If you enjoy both the spatial puzzle of the tile laying and economic games, I’d suggest to give Pipeline a try. Because both of these quite different aspects are integral parts of the game, this puts it at a somewhat awkward spot. I really like it!

2 Likes

Something like that?

It’s also periodically available at Fantasywelt.

1 Like

This is what made me sell Polis. Grognards in my group would rather play War of the Ring or Napoleon’s Triumph or any 2 player GMT games. Fair enough, but that means solid Polis only collects dust.

1 Like

Partly as a record, but game collection as of April 2022. I do want to get rid of some big boxes but I’m not rushing to do so as I have space.

Happy City might be a contender for only I own it, it really needs moving into the kids games.

EDIT Not shown - Martian Dice is permanently in my work bag and Klask is at work.

5 Likes

I got a nice Xmas hamper with a magnetic closure like the one Railroad Ink has. So naturally it’s now storing all my Railroad Inks and some other smaller games.

Hanabi and The Mind are underneath the expansions.

9 Likes

Thanks for the tip! They just got in 3… one of those is mine!

2 Likes

First attempt at filling the shelf. We got my daughter a new bookshelf at last, and this one got free, so I released the beast (my games) out of the boxes they’ve been in for just over 6 months. I might need to swap things around a bit, I am not very convinced with the middle two shelves. Also, awkward shapes(!)

12 Likes

Awkward shapes merely confirm you only care about the gameplay possibilities within. Or so I tell myself constantly.

[EDIT] Also, solidarity brother! “Tiny” collections forever!

6 Likes