Selling/ Buying/ Trading Games

In the post today

Forbidden Island - one co-op is enough (too many in my opinion)

Hey That’s My Fish - I forked out £0.89 for the app.

The Estates - Sold it for the third time now. Brilliant game but very group dependent so I’ll let others own it.

2 Likes

If you still have New Bedford in the new year when I’ve finished my game-buying moratorium I’ll happily take it off you :grin:

5 Likes

Currently the chances seem high.

3 Likes

So, I have decided to participate in the SHUX '22 math trade. I have listed my games and tomorrow will start doing the matching for what I would be willing to trade them for.

This is my first ever math trade, so I want to ask those more familiar with it. Is it frowned upon to put unreasonable matches down? I mean, sure, I will trade Sonar for $10, but I would also trade it for $100, or for Return to Dark Tower, or other nonsensical matchups. I know the odds of those panning out have to be astronomically small, but is there any reason not to do it, in addition to more reasonable matches?

4 Likes

There is no reason not to do it.

5 Likes

Definitely go for unreasonable trades. As each person chooses what they are happy to trade their game for you’re not taking advantage of anyone. You could get lucky from a loop and value ascribed to games is subjective so just go for it.

6 Likes

Agree with the others. Everyone is looking for value so you may get lucky

5 Likes

There are some people who complain about it (especially when cash is involved), but if you end up being the good link in a chain that lets the rest of the trades happen that otherwise wouldn’t have.

4 Likes

Since all the matching is done automatically you aren’t causing any more work for anyone by proposing unlikely trades - it’s not the same as messaging someone with a lowball offer because they don’t have to deal with the “socially appropriate rejection dance” or even reading a message and feeling mildly annoyed. More possible matches means more overall trades means more happy gamers :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I agree with you 100%, but there are still whiners on the FB group complaining how people try to match their relatively low value games with theirs on UK Maths Trade and it annoys them. But oh well, you’re dealing with people on Facebook.

7 Likes

One of many reasons that I can’t be bothered with Facebook any more!

6 Likes

Definitely go for trade value (to you) plus everything above it. Possibly even a little lower too.

As everyone has said, the chance of it happening is small but more potential matches means more trades.

Also look at the ‘trading down’ as losing a game you don’t want for one you do.

7 Likes

Have to agree with the rest. There’s no reason to not list every single item you are willing to trade for something. Yes, I will trade you this pack of gum for your beach house; do I think it’s an equitable trade? No, but that’s not the point.

3 Likes

What aspect of it are they whinging about? It literally doesn’t affect them at all so I can’t really fathom what the issues might be.

5 Likes

Their own perception of value, more than anything

2 Likes

Beats me. I’ve been typing this response for minutes and I cannot really do a proper response. Is it because they want other people to act “honourably”? Because they have a poor understanding on how pricing system works, in general? I’m not a qualified Sociologist to talk.

I do wonder if these are the same sort of bellends who get pissed when someone makes a post, selling games for OOP prices. Or are they completely different circle. IDK

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice, everybody!

2 Likes

Anyone want Hansa Teutonica?

Love the game, but can’t be bothered to teach it. Ever.

Happy to post worldwide, but sending stuff out from the UK is potentially expensive.

5 Likes

(nerves self up)

All right. Sakura Arms new L99 games edition, all three boxes. In the UK. Make me an offer.

3 Likes

I might be interested. Will have a think

3 Likes