Selling/ Buying/ Trading Games

Board Game: Owned: 966
Board Game Expansion: Owned: 464

Cripes.

1 Like

UK Maths Trade August 2022 | BoardGameGeek

August Maths trade! Will make a massive dump. I’ll do a fire sale on those that weren’t traded away.

3 Likes

BGG GeekMarket beta test is shutting down

so I may actually sell offer things via BGG again.

7 Likes

I got an email with the same announcement. I really enjoyed some of the features of the GeekMarket Beta, but the fees involved were pretty aggressive. Hopefully they backport some improvements from what they did with the GeekMarket Beta back to the Classic Market, such as bundle items, as well as being able to pre-populate estimated shipping.

Nope, the whole damn lot is going. Thanks Obama.

3 Likes

BGG is unable to keep up with the expectations of a modern marketplace

What the heck? I don’t think the users will complain if it remains as-is. My only “expectations” of it were that it continued to work the way they’d implemented it.

That’s very sad news.

3 Likes

I wonder if it’s a matter of supporting/mediating complaints by buyers and sellers?

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised if it had something to do with taxes and other potential legal issues. Feels like the new marketplace was trying to address some issues, but almost nobody liked it, and with reverting back, the issues remain and they don’t want to be liable for anything.

3 Likes

It’s actually probably this:

2 Likes

The post has been edited saying that BGG has taken user feedback into consideration and is moving forward with a plan to turn the classic market into a classified system.

Which is basically what it is today… isn’t it?

2 Likes

Well, currently BGG gets a percentage of the sale, right? I think the idea is now it will just be a bulletin board for people to post games they are selling and the entire transaction is just between the buyer and the seller. This way, BGG does not need to keep any records for tax purposes,band cannot report any details to the IRS, so the sellers won’t get dinged either. At least, not because of BGG.

2 Likes

If you list something in a newspaper classified, you pay a listing fee. I guess that’s a key difference?

Could be. I have never listed anything in the classifieds: )

Nor have I… Who wants to pay a listing fee?

They specifically tried “just a new forum section, look after it yourselves” but that apparently wasn’t working, so now I think there’s going to be something a bit more formalised.

1 Like

I would if it guaranteed me a sale at a price I’m happy with. I’d also guess it will be a fixed fee per listing, making it cheaper for expensive stuff

I guess by asking for an upfront cost they can be hands off and claim to not know the final sale price. By taking a cut after, they the know the final sale price and therefore on the hook for IRS reporting.

3 Likes

Another UK GeekList auction popped up, so I figured I’d continue to offer the service to those in the UK who, maybe, don’t pay as close attention to auctions as I do.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/298813/

4 Likes

Huh. New Geeklist interface takes away the one-title-per-line view mode. What a shame.

2 Likes

Click on the number of items and it’s there instead.

You know, they could have a banner saying as such but this is BGG

4 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, I don’t expect things that are visually cued as inactive items to be active items.

4 Likes