Selling/ Buying/ Trading Games

I need some tips on how to handle something.
I want to be polite but I am also miffed.

I have a bundle up for sale for 60€ and 8.00€ shipping because the package is 5kg and costs 8.50€ with DHL and I will only ship with DHL b/c the rest is too far from here for me.

Now I got a request for the bundle minus 1 game which they already own and they ask to get it all for 50€ including shipping.

I know my bundle has a few games that have been hard to move but so far my pricing has always been okay and I have never had people try to negotiate. Last time I had a bundle up one person said they were interested but they were already buying something else from me and had too many games. So I offered to lower my price and got rid of the games. Both sides ended up happy I think.

Maybe this time I miscalculated and 60€ is still too much. But I am miffed that they are effectively trying to negotiate for something like 25% off the price immediately.

I am not in a hurry to sell. The box with the games sits in my office and doesn’t bug me.

Possibly, I just don’t like the tone of the message. It’s less negotiating and more “here I am being nice to take it off your hands”

Now what do I write to this person? Do I make a counter offer? Do I just tell them no?

This is the price, these are the games.

If they already have one, let them resell it.

10 Likes

Wow, that’s poor trading skills.

On the other hand, if you’re not in a rush to sell, he’s at a disadvantage. I’d go with Ross. This is the price, it is already a good offer, take it or leave it.

4 Likes

There is a subset of people who just want to feel like they made a deal, no matter how small, and no matter how good the deal already is. It’s definitely advantage Yashima here, so depending on how you feel I’d handle this in one of two ways:

1. Sorry I’ve bundled the price to sell, maybe you could make up the difference by trading the duplicate game.

2. Sorry, I’ve priced this to about as low as I’m willing to go. I could knock 2,50€ (3€, whatever pittance you’re willing to extend) if that helps? You can always try to sell the duplicate.

I’m generally willing to take option 2 because it’s quicker but if your price is good and you have time on your side, hold firm.

[EDIT] Adding you aren’t interested in breaking up the bundle for both options.

[DOUBLE EDIT] Speaking of advantages, make local buyers come to you. Jerks enjoy haggling over agreed upon prices once you’ve made the trip and effort. Good buyers/sellers will adhere to this courtesy (I always assume I’ll travel when buying) and anyone putting up a struggle about it or at least not willing to meet halfway isn’t worth the time.

6 Likes

I think Ross put it very succinctly.

3 Likes

The hassle of delivering a second parcel eventually shouldn’t be dismissed.

Charge them 65 for one less game.

5 Likes

Agree with @RossM you don’t need to sell so just politely decline!

3 Likes

I only give discounts when they bought, say, 3 or more individual items and asked for a discount. Ross already said it. Also, Bundle price is already a form of discount.

Also, I assume these are small box games so it’s not like youre hurting for space.

4 Likes

While I largely agree with everything written so far, I also have to note that all the bundle sales I see locally are terrible deals. Typically I find I only want 1 or 2 games from a bundle, maybe 1 or 2 that I wouldn’t mind having, and the rest actually reduce the value of the package for me. Nevertheless, they get priced as if every item has a value of some % of retail price.

No idea if that is the case with your bundle, but depending on the priorities of the buyer it may well be impossible to reach a price you both find acceptable.

7 Likes

For me it comes down to what do you value more. The space (mental/physical) or the money?

I agree with all the points above. I find myself never buying bundles because it’s games I want mixed with games I don’t.

Equally a full 25% off is a hell of an opener. Maybe discount the postage and sell as a whole bundle?

2 Likes

This could very well be the case as I noted in my own post.

Over night, and reading everyone’s posts here, I come to the conclusion that I really do not mind negotiating so much, as I resent the tone and style the person chose in their initial message.

I’ll tell them no.

If I have to put it all up again in the New Year, I will just do that. And I will possibly split up the bundle into separate sales once again. I am collecting smaller boxes now to enable selling games in smaller batches.

At some point I’ll probably make a “please take these games of my hands” bundle for something just above shipping. But this bundle is not that–yet.

Thanks everyone for helping me come to the conclusion :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Update on the bundle “issue”: So I wrote them the price was as low as I was willing to go.
They came back asking if 60€ was including postage. My add clearly stated it wasn’t but whatever. So I didn’t answer them yesterday and they came back today asking again if 60€ was okay and I decided I am going to do it. The next texts were a bit less “dreist” and a bit more like they really wanted the games and that’s what I need to know. So we’re meeting in the middle, I am paying the postage.

I was going to go down with the price in the new year anyway… so. I might as well. And maybe they need a lot of Christmas presents–that’s what I am telling myself anyway.

15 Likes

Nice resolution.

5 Likes

In a way, they get something, and you don’t have to deal with an odd game. So nice “meeting in the middle”.

1 Like

Oh, selling games leads to interesting things.
I got a request from someone interested in buying all the remaining 25 games in my ad. oO.
I am offering them a 10% discount and they would have to come pick up the games because I don’t even have the boxes put all of the games in. Nevermind that postage would eat up most of the rebate I am willing to give. I hope they were aware that so many games were unlikely to be mailed…

(I was willing to offer 20% but my partner convinced me that I should start with 10%–he actually said my first offer should be 8%)

Mostly, I do not want to sell to a reseller but if they are one then they are not on this service.

I am also reasonably sure I didn’t underprice any rarities. I checked for almost all games. The only ones I added without checking later are 2 older Knizia’s one of which is a bit rare (Samurai).

edit: they already got back to me–they cannot pick up the games. What then did they think?! Ah well…

7 Likes

I wish someone would buy all of mine in one go! I’ve sold 17 in the last fortnight with a used game selling day at a FLGS and eBay. another 21 up on eBay and hoping to clear them out in the next fortnight. So many post office trips incoming. What I wouldn’t give to just send a couple of huge boxes to someone!

3 Likes

What are you selling? Having not bought anything for a year I’m in the mood to spend money!

1 Like

You might have to zoom in! Ignore the necrons!

1 Like

Cheers, nothing that’s my bag unfortunately. Hope you can bulk sell

1 Like

They thought “someone with a bunch of stuff they don’t want. A little money is better than none.”

I bought a bunch of tools that way a decade or so ago. Bad ads that kept running in the local craigslist, poorly showing what was there. After a couple months, I offered 50% of asking for the two things I was actually interested in for the whole deal. Lots of it was literal garbage, but I kept the stuff I wanted, and sold the rest for almost enough to be worth the time it took.

2 Likes