Rallyman GT on BGA: Async Recruitment

Better watch out

2 Likes

To the happy owners (@Rogerbw and ???) of this game… how much of it fits in the base game box?

Let‘s say I want the basegame, the GT4 and GT5, Championship and possibly World Tour? Extra Dice are sold out… Adrenaline doesn‘t sound like I want that. Edit: And Team Challenge is just a bit too much…

I have base game, Championship, World Tour, Team Challenge, GT4, GT5, and the Adrenaline Pack tucked nicely into a very full, very hefty base game box. I suspect with a little finagling, I will be able to get my extra copy of GT4 and GT5 and spare dice in there as well, when those arrive with my Rallyman Dirt pledge.

Everything so far fits nicely

1 Like

That sounds good… :slight_smile:

That feeling of a game box full of expansions is something special, isn‘t it?

Edit: why do you need extra copies of the GT4/5??? Is it just for the dice?

1 Like

And, unlike some games, it does not create an overwhelming sense of “too much” when you open the box.

There are some games where having all the expansion content packed into the base game just makes me less likely to play any combination of base and expansion content. But not so with Rallyman GT… and I’m not entirely sure why; possibly because the expansion content just feels natural.

1 Like

I have everything GT in my base game box, which is:

• core game
  • 2 × GT5 (cars + car cards + dice)
  • 2 × GT4 (cars + car cards + dice)
  • Championship tiles
  • World Tour tiles
  • Team Challenge (tiles + cars + car cards)
  • Kickstarter extras
  • 5 extra dice packs

It’s not a perfect fit, and I’d put a band round it if I had to transport it vertically, but the box is very nearly shut.

The bridge is under the soft tyre tokens at bottom centre. At top right, the car cards are in two stacks under the dice:

The reason for the second GT4 and GT5 in my case is Team Challenge: so I can run a full race of twelve cars in any class. (OK, I’ve only played face-to-face multiplayer about three or four times, and as I say I suspect I’d now avoid more than six unless I had experienced enthusiastic players.)

@pillbox: I think it helps that the expansions don’t make a huge change in the gameplay the way they do for some games; any given game is “pull the tiles you want, pull the cars/cards/dice you want, play”, you never think “oh, I have to separate the Foo tiles from the Bar tiles”.

Addendum: unless you know your car shapes inside-out, I think it can be helpful to write “4”, “5” or “6” on the inside of the car models with a suitably permanent fine-tip pen. Certainly I haven’t regretted going it with mine. If I ever do run a bigger-than-6 player game, I’ll probably hand-stripe the second car of each colour.

3 Likes

For each pair of players that share a color, one of them takes GT6 and the other takes GT5. Or some other combination. I often race with the GT4 car because I prefer its looks to the GT5 and/or GT6 models – so using the “correct” car is not a concern on my table.

Striping, admittedly, would make it significantly more obvious.

2 Likes

Just played 2 player on BGA against my wife. Now we understand this game I actually quite enjoy it!

6 player must get really blocky/ annoying with the overtaking rules - assuming some players don’t crash on 4 of their first 5 turns.

3 Likes

I find the huge multiplayer game is such great fun and this one made me finally order the base box which came into stock at one of my usual haunts for such a great price (39€) I couldn’t very well not buy it and half a day later all their copies were gone. I am waffling over the expansions now.

We are considering Rallyman Dirt for our local 2 player shenanigans…

4 Likes

Being miles behind I think a catch up mechanism would be great. An extra white dice every turn would give me a chance of getting into the race.

On that note - I’d be happy to start another race ASAP so I can actually be involved

1 Like

Blocking is certainly a part of it – though generally the pack spreads out a bit. Being the leader is a severe test of skill but if you pass it there’s no mechanism for people to catch you even if they play just as well.

Happy to play in another race.

2 Likes

It’s my main criticism of the game. The absolute lack of rubber banding to keep everyone mildly competitive.

But then I’m overall ambivalent on catch up rules

1 Like

If anyone else would like to set up the next one, go ahead, or I can do another (probably when this one has finished).

If I’m doing it: everyone coming back? Any preferences about track, rules, cars?

1 Like

I’ll be out as I will have limited connectivity from tomorrow.

1 Like

I would play again, no preference. All the cars are fun. If we don‘t make 6 players, my partner would be available in the coming week.

1 Like

I’d play again. Although I’ll still be going on this game for a while

Things missing from GT on BGA:

• junction/crossover tiles (including the bridge)
  • tracks other than the official ones plus ODaly’s collection (which are all the “real world” track names in the list)
  • track design
  • mixed-class races
  • improved yellow flag rule (it now only affects the tile where the LoC happened and adjacent tiles, and doesn’t last as long)
  • rules variants such as custom weather (there are several options for this)

I’ll play again and happy with anything. Thanks!

1 Like

I’d love to jump in on any GT5 action

1 Like

OK, with raged_norm dropping out there’s certainly a slot for you.

3 Likes