Pet names for components

@yashima’s comment in the Voidfall thread made me decide to revive this thread from the old SU&SD forum:

So, what random names have you come up with for game compnents/resources/etc that have won out over their actual names?

There’s the classic “space chocolate” from Star Cartel:

And then in Cuzco, you’re not building temples, you’re making cakes and topping them off with candles:

And, regardless of what it says, this card in Skyward is Jetpack Cat:

4 Likes

Anything cash-like becomes “moneys” (even in Aeon’s End where there aren’t any actual tokens for it). “I’ll pay three moneys to buy a [whatever].”

This card from Sentinels of the Multiverse got christened “Lesbian Death Punch” (the character Tachyon is canonically gay, and the card is very often a fight-finishing play).

3 Likes

Yeah, I call everything moneys. Occasionally dollarydoos.

2 Likes

It’s all “spacebucks”.

e.g.

Although, watching Bluey may influence me towards dollarbucks.

3 Likes

I liked Efka’s use of space-a-gons :slight_smile: Space-a-gons are the best-best-a-gons.

4 Likes

Anything that’s money or looks like coins (such as the points tokens in Everdell) is bucks (well, its Quebec French equivalent, piasses) or dollars to us. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Damage in sci-fi games is always “Pews”. Mostly heard these days with SW: tDG. “Your base takes 5 pews.”

Which led to one of my favorite comments, “You take a church worth of pews.”

6 Likes

This is the first I’ve heard of this, but I completely agree and it is now canon at my table.

4 Likes

Anything that involves building a route is a train because

Trains in games >> no trains in games

Also all currency is a pound, reduced to the lowest figure possible. Lords of Vegas deals in millions, I deal in singles

4 Likes

Similarly in Leaving Earth: “I’ll pay 20 bucks for a Saturn.”

3 Likes

That’s a good price for a car. Too good. So what’s wrong with it? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

… it’s a Saturn. So probably everything :laughing:

3 Likes

The true and correct guide to Imperium: Horizons components:

• Pink [Materials]: “Goods, er, bricks, er, materials dammit.”
  • Yellow [Progress]: “Progress.”
  • Blue [Population]: “Binoculars.”
  • Green [Goods]: “Ghost Squid.”
6 Likes

I think I see Vs, Bricks, Brandy Glasses and a Radioctive Amphora

2 Likes

From the top of my head:

In Architects of the West Kingdom, whenever I play with my friends, since one of them accidentally asked for bricks when going to the forest, the wooden logs are Forest Bricks

Archeos Society: The brown balloon is a Chicken Drum.

Everdell: Most people I play with calls the resin amber or honey…

3 Likes

Much as I try to discourage it, the purple components in Quacks of Quedlinburg are fetuses. 0_o

9 Likes

Taverns of Tiefenthal is probably the worst for my group.

Beer handler = little beer
Waitress = dice lady
Sommelier= smelly A
Beer supplier = big beer
Schnapps= snappy snaps

I doubt there’s one component in that game we refer to correctly.

My partner also has a habit of referring to ‘stone’ in any game as ‘steel’, which makes for some thematically bizarre games.

6 Likes

It’s probably not common, but ‘Scout’ has been renamed by my brain as ‘Vajazzle’, to the point where I had to go and look at it on the shelf just to remember the real name.

3 Likes

… why?? :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Don’t ask me. I don’t make the rules in my brain. I just live here.

5 Likes