[PbP D&D 5e] Recruitment and Discussion

IssiNoho77

First, you’ll want to record your proficiency bonus as +2.

Your racial bonuses are added to the total ability scores, so your INT is 18 and your CON is 15. This gives you these modifiers, to be recorded in the larger box above:
STR -1
DEX +2
CON +2
INT +4
WIS +0
CHA +1

These modifiers are what you write into the lines beside the skills, adding your proficiency bonus to any skills/saves in which you are proficient.
Example: You are proficient in Intelligence saves, so you would add your intelligence modifier (+4) to your proficiency bonus (+2) for a total +6, and record that on the line. When you make a saving throw to resist some effect that targets your mind, you will add +6 to your d20 roll.
However, you are not proficient in acrobatics, so you would only apply your DEX modifier by itself - a +2 for any roll to attempt some form of acrobatic feat.

Next we have AC, Initiative, and HP.

Your AC is equal to 10 + DEX modifier, but in your case you are wearing Arcanomechanical armour, which gives you a base score of 12, plus DEX mod. So your AC equals 14.

Your initiative is your DEX mod, so +2.

With generating your Hp, it looks too high - roll 2d6 and add 12 to get your total HP.

Your hit dice is a d6, and the amount is 3 - you will be using this to regenerate hitpoints when your character takes a short rest (an hour). It’s a bank of free healing that refills after a long rest (an 8 hour rest).

The attacks box is a great place to put the normal attacks you use often. So I’d put your quarterstaff attack, and any cantrip attacks.

Your quarterstaff gets a +1 attack bonus, and does 1d6 (one handed) or 1d8 damage (two handed) with a -1 damage penalty.

Firebolt gets a +6 attack bonus, and does 1d10 damage. (Spells don’t get bonuses to damage).

Spellcasting: your spellcasting ability is INT, your spell attack bonus is +6, and your spell save DC is 14.

Your slots are different than your spells known - think of your ‘slots’ as the amount of spells you can cast in a day. In your case, that is 4 level ones, and 2 level twos.

Finally, among your ten level 1s and 2s, you can only bring a total of 7 to use each day. Like the total spells are your armoury, and the prepared spells are the loadout you choose on a specific day. You can use the spells multiple times, until you’ve used up your slots for the day.

Some spells can be cast as rituals - i.e. if you’re not in combat you can spend a much longer time preparing them and cast them without using a spell slot. These are very very useful. Wizard is one of the most complicated classes to play, but there is a lot of reward to knowing your spells really well.

I think that’s everything!

1 Like

@Captbnut I think I forgot to mention your spellcasting ability, which is WIS, your spell save DC which is 13, and your spell attack which is +5.

@Cokho writing up a monk build guide for you now

Haha that cat is too cool an act to follow.

1 Like

I tried to go through the DND beyond link you posted, and came up with this : https://send.firefox.com/download/ad072708ef3d3519/#UHYhJSUkzYt41u9lDv2Jdg

But I’m happy to have a guide! There is a few think I’m not too happy about, and will hopefully understand better with your explanation.

I can’t open the link for some reason!

1 Like

I’ve completed my character but how do I send over the pdf?

And with this ? : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zDcWkzWx-V0fP_0AxiSTUF5MSHhLqY7O/view?usp=sharing

Yep, that works!

@Gungeon google drive seems like the best way

1 Like

Seems to me that your character is complete, I can’t really find anything missing! Is there anything specific in the build or stats you find unsatisfying? More than anything, being happy with your character is of prime importance.

I think I’m most unhappy about the background. Folk hero seems a bit much; but I can’t find something more suitable. Otherwise, I was unsure about the monastic traditions, but looking at other options available, I think I prefer the Open hand one.

I although would have like to get Ettellu as a language (being a fanboy and all); but if I can’t, I like the fact that it is too hard for Moran to get the hang of; despite trying. He could have the basics “hello, how are you, my name is…” and that’s fine with me!

Although, to counterbalance this post, a few things I love about making this character :

• The ideal is really nice (sincerity)
  • Having cartographer tool is awesome
  • I can catch projectile in the air? How cool is that!?

If the backgrounds don’t really fit, we can also make a custom background. I feel like the things that exemplify Moran from his background are: interest in the local lore and perhaps his vibrant family that is a fixture in the city.

Of note: if something would give you proficiency in a skill twice, simply pick another skill to be proficient in.
Some suggestions I’m making up:

Storykeeper - skill proficiencies: History, Insight
Tool Proficiencies: One Musical Instrument
Language: Choose one language
Feature: You are familiar with the old stories and songs, some of which are true, and some of which are just fantasy. You may choose to remember one of these stories or songs when making a history check instead of a normal one, granting different information than a standard check - though this may need to be interpreted or be taken with a grain of salt.

Favoured Son/Daughter You are well-known and well-liked in your hometown, either because of your parent’s contribution to society, or your own.
Skill proficiencies: Athletics, Persuasion
Tool Proficiencies: Artisan Tool of Choice, Gaming Set of Choice
Feature: People in your home town know and recognize you, and are favourable towards you. Guards are likely to take your side, and people will give you the benefit of the doubt in most situations. People in your home town will shield you from harm in a bad situation, but not on pain of death.

1 Like

@RossM asked for a die roll:
Background for De is adept.

Rolling relevant dice…

4d6: 1 + 1 + 4 + 3 = 9

De

de

De.pdf (5.4 MB)

1 Like

Some of the info on there isn’t quite clear to me, like where that cantrip came from (variant human feat?), or what the precise ranger stuff you’ve chosen is. Also you get 3 level one spells at level 3, so you can choose one more.

But also, as long as it works/is clear for you it’s all good!

1 Like

The adept background lets me swap any spell I know for a cantrip. (I heart cantrips.)

1 Like

Ranger fighting style - archer
Ranger archetype - Hunter

What else isn’t clear?

K, the only remaining things I’m not clear on:

1. What is your favoured enemy type?
  2. Which option did you choose for the hunter’s prey feature? (Colossus Slayer/Giant Killer/Horde Breaker)
  1. Beasts
  2. Hordebreaker
1 Like

Reuploaded the sheet, should be clearer now.