“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

When (years ago) moving my apartment was robbed.
They took our dice bag. Jokes on them. They left a pencil box that I had filled with silver (old Vegas coins). Yet took our Lego set directions. Which shows nothing is sacred anymore.

I do miss this one dice that looked like lemon candy.
Also renters insurance is a good thing.

4 Likes

They took your dice bag and the directions for a Lego set. But left the set?

This sounds like the start of an obscure Sherlock Holmes fanfick.

6 Likes

To be fair, the Lego sets themselves had already been disassembed, packaged up, and moved. But still, who just steals Lego instructions? Apparently meth-heads, according to an employee at a bricks and minifigs store. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Got to hear a flyover of WWII aircraft from back porch today while baking. Three P-51 Mustangs and a USN Corsair. Good snarls from 3 Rolls-Royce Merlins and a Pratt and Whitney radial.

4 Likes

I would probably literally start crying if someone stole one of my LEGO instruction booklets. Then I’d get ahold of myself and email LEGO about a possible replacement as their customer service is superb.

Context for any unfamiliar:
https://discussions.shutupandsitdown.com/t/building-kits-lego-models-3dpuzzles-etc/7200
The collection has only grown since then.

4 Likes

@COMaestro downloaded them. I think we did call. It’s not too much to order replacements. Though now that I think of it one was discontinued, Jabbas Palace. It would be good to have that one.

1 Like

I don’t know about most places in the world, but for some of us today, it’s Mother’s Day.

I’d like to quickly thank all the moms that may read this for everything they do, regardless if they read it today or not.

6 Likes

Just want to jump in and say I’ve only ever called them a wood louse. My wife’s grandad called them Oswalds

3 Likes

Group conversation brought up people who call wasps ‘jaspers’.

5 Likes

That makes so much sense.
There is a show my youngest loves called The Hive. Jasper is the wasp. Jasper is also a dick. Actually so is Rubee the main characters sister. Actually the main character isn’t that great either.

I’ve seen this show a lot. Except when we ban it because it can angry up my 6 year olds blood.
Probably because the characters are jerks.

2 Likes

That’s a much more polite name than I usually have for them!

3 Likes

When a wasp flies near me I talk to it politely. Usually it will investigate my hair or beard for a bit, then go away again. If I am feeling pretentious I say that I have no quarrel with Sister Wasp unless she chooses to make one.

My wife, who is more of the kill-on-sight type, finds this quite hard to watch.

3 Likes

My daughter refused to go in the backyard for a week and a half because of a wasp.

Once I demonstrated the spray range of yard guard she was persuaded.

She’s reasonably calm with bees at six but wasps bring out a more primal fear.

1 Like

Both of us feel that spiders get politely ejected (usually with a pint glass and a sheet of thin card; I’m always worried about breaking them if I just try to pick them up).

2 Likes

Apparently ‘Jaspers’ come from the latin for striped; ‘vesper’. So there you go.

1 Like

The Snowbirds (Cdn armed forces team) flew over southern Ontario yesterday including our part of our city. Nice and low.

7 Likes

I used to live in Barrow-in-Furness in the UK, very close to the Lake District. The Royal Air Force regularly uses the lakes to practice low-level maneuvers. I mean, stood on top of the fells you can see the pilot quite, quite clearly! Terrifying, but amazingly cool too…

2 Likes

If there is one thing I miss from living close to Bristol, is going on summer to the Balloon Festival and seeing the Red Arrows display…

4 Likes

The balloon festival is amazing.

We’re always away when it is on though!

We went to the Fairford airshow a few years ago. Red Arrows, Apache helicopter and the Vulcan all in the air.

Two years ago we went to the battle of Britain show at Duxford. Spitfires and a Lancaster

3 Likes

Bristol Balloon Fiesta was where I had my first job (in 2002, I think). I sold programmes there and got 50p for each one I sold.

There were some people there giving away bags of Skips (because they’d just come out with a couple of new flavours) and I ended up eating 16 bags over the course of 3 days.

2 Likes