“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

7 Likes
4 Likes

I just need to share my happy about managing to cancel our final vacation for this year wasn’t already canceled. 2020 is weird.

4 Likes

You no longer have to shun me!

10 Likes

I’ve just been buying Star Wars RPG dice (because they’re slightly cheaper than Genesys dice) to have sent to the friends with whom I hope to play the game soon…

5 Likes

I don’t know, there’s still no d20… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My dice bag

There’s far more d6 than I expect to use, but I like that I have them available in case in need.

4 Likes

My daughter had a “100 day” project for kindergarten and she had my number.

I’ve always had the traditional 1990s gamer dice bag but after she did the project she insisted on decorating a new one for me. It only holds the essentials but it’s a functional and sentimental core.

9 Likes

If I were to take a picture of all my dice, I’d first have to find them all (I’ve got various “spare” sets hanging around).

My main dice “bag” (a fancy corduroy pencil case) has about 12 sets in it (some missing from this picture as I’m partway through repainting them because I hate gold) plus extra d6s/d8s for sneak attack/bardic inspiration/healing light.

6 Likes

I’ve just had an email arrive about an art sale on BGG. Some of these are rather tempting.

https://boardgamegeekstore.com/collections/game-art?aff=4&utm_source=geekmail&utm_campaign=artistseries4

1 Like

It’s a shame the sale only seems to apply to the sets rather than individual prints. There are about two in each set that I’d be interested in :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’m still tempted at 30 dollars per picture. I think the Terraforming Mars one is great

2 Likes

Yup, I’d only pay for the Galaxy Trucker one and the Race for the Galaxy one, so it’s not really a great selection for me.

2 Likes

The Race one is fantastic.

My only issue is that I’ve not played it enough to warrant sticking it on the wall (I own it though)

1 Like

Tonight I would be at a gig in London seeing one of my all-time favourite bands, but alas not in this alternate timeline we find ourselves in. Instead the band posted the setlist on Twitter, so I’ve queued up the songs and grabbed a beer :slight_smile:

To take one of the opening lines from their songs:

3 Likes

Thinking of @yashima’s comments elsethread on the use of German, I remember a German filker who said that she liked writing songs in English because usually in German there’s only one way to express something that doesn’t sound at least a bit forced, whereas in English there are often several alternatives and you can pick the one that rhymes or scans better.

3 Likes

The vocabulary of the English language (between 400.000 to 1 Mio words ) is much larger than the German Wortschatz (~300.000) and yes it is absolutely true that there are often many words in English where there is a single on in German. I know we have some great idioms and expressions that cannot be easily translated and many German words have made it into the English language (Angst, Weltschmerz, Gestalt, Abseilen and more that I cannot think of right now) but there are so many more English words we have incorporated into our language.

2 Likes

It probably helps that English is a mongrel of two fairly different sources (the Anglo-Saxon → Germanic and the Norman French → Romance), quite apart from all the borrowings that have happened since. Usually the Romance root is felt to be a shade more formal - so a “hearty” welcome is just a little more friendly and warm than a “cordial” one. (And “cow/sheep/pig” (Germanic) is the animal, while “beef/mutton/pork” (Romance boeuf/mouton/porc) is the meat.)

6 Likes

That is generally because of the social class that spoke the respective languages.

6 Likes

I think my favourite German idiom is Eierlegende Wollmilchsau (egg-laying wool-milk-pig, or something that can do everything)

It gets frequently (and disparagingly) used by my colleagues when somebody wants a piece of software to do far more than it’s designed to.

4 Likes

An eternal favorite here as well, very much used by devs.

2 Likes