Leaving Earth (Base Game and Mercury) Pbf

@yashima What type of astronaut?

sorry, a pilot.

1 Like

Lovely. I will post a summary tonight.

@RogerBW, @pillbox and @yashima please roll a d8 for turn order in 1957…

@RossM asked for a die roll:
d8: 4

@RogerBW asked for a die roll:
d8: 1 and the rest.

@yashima asked for a die roll:
d8: 3

I am just noticing… we should make this the new quasi-public moderator’s thread :wink:

3 Likes

@pillbox asked for a die roll:

d8: 7

Topical Soundtrack

Elvis Presley - All Shook up (Audio) - YouTube

Perhaps this is the year Humanity escapes suborbital flights…

TURN ORDER
@RogerBW
@yashima
@RossM
@pillbox

2 Likes
  • Test-fire Saturn, removing any outcome.
  • Buy another Saturn.
  • If I have ¤5 left because the test-fire was a failure, offer a loan: ¤5 to be paid back at the start of next year.
3 Likes
  • My offer stands $20 to remove outcomes from Atlas tech in exchange for the tested technology (if my offer isn’t taken I’ll have to change my turn obviously-> also in regards to later years: can I do this after everyone else has taken their turns? Or do I need to fully commit now when I am up?)
  • (I’ll also offer the remaining $5 as a loan, however if there are no takers, I’ll buy 2 probes for a sum of $4–probes are always good, right?)
  • edited with updated details: remaining $5 with donation from @RogerBW go to buying Rendevouz (if he wants he can have it immediately after my turn or we continue financing testing together as soon as I get my first rockets into orbit)

Alternate idea: @Roger–pool our $5 to buy a tech together?

Note that the turn sequence is:

year starts, determine turn order
player A turn
player B turn

player A second turn if they want it

repeat until nobody else wants a turn
year ends, end-of-year things happen

Most of the time players only want one turn each, but if player B gets a victory point and other players get their ¤10 reward…

Note that automatic manoeuvres (such as the Lost from Inner Planets Transfer, or falling back to Earth from Suborbital Flight) happen at the end of a turn not a year.

@yashima yes, happy to do that, definitely if it’s Soyuz or Rendezvous or Life Support or Re-Entry or Landing, open to others too.

1 Like

I will complete @RogerBW declaration after dinner. (Once I get some pictures of Saturn’s launching/exploding.)

@yashima I’m happy to test atlases for you. I’ve already got two I’m firing anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification regarding turns. I thought it was that way from the rulebook but you should have seen me and my partner play, it was highly chaotic :slight_smile: and fun…

Either one sounds good to me :slight_smile: If you’re up to some longterm agreements, we could do some cooperative testing to save some more money. I know this is not a coop game but I also think we have very little time and less money and humanity is better off cooperating to go to the stars–though the glorious VP will obviously go to whoever puts their mission together the quickest…

@RossM that’s great!

I’m happy to offer Soyuz research in exchange for funding for testing.

2 Likes

Some would call the Russian’s MINOR FAILURE an embarrassing start to the space race.

But the accountancy department parties long into the night.

Second Saturn built,

@RogerBW can I confirm what you are doing with your remaining 5m roubles?

1 Like

Donate to @yashima earmarked for rendezvous advancement.

Could be worse, could be a Major Failure with someone really important watching:

2 Likes

(I was just reading this very article.)

@yashima to play.

1 Like

Okay, then my turn is:

• Buying Rendezvous for $10 with offer to either immediately share with @RogerBW or hold off in order to finance testing together as soon as I get rockets into space.
  • Giving $20 to @RossM for testing Atlas rockets as per discussion above.
  • Sending Joseph Walker an a promotion tour to get the public excited about going to space :slight_smile:
2 Likes