Last Game you sold! (Volume 2)

Oooh what’s wrong with it? Love a bit of gossip

1 Like

Oh no. I mean, it sucks that they announced 2nd ed while I was trying to sell my 1st ed

3 Likes

I don’t get shiny backs on the 2nd Ed.

Yeah, it does look pretty. I have Wonderful World on order since someone in my group has 7W, but that second edition almost makes me want it.

Mini Rails - prefer any other Cube Rails I’ve played so far

Mogul - a more complex No Thanks. It was eh. The reverse bidding felt a bit disconnected to the manipulation of shares.

Rose King - alright abstract. Two words to boot it out. The top decking of cards made it “eh” compare to other abstracts I like playing

Small World - my first modern board game. A lot of old school games I prefer nowadays over Small World

Trains - deckbuilders aren’t my thing. So far, only El Dorado stayed.

Village Green - was bored playing it. It has beautiful art and it’s a chill game, but it’s not the game I’m looking for

4 Likes

Kinda glad I cancelled my preorder then.

Ah, the only time I’ve heard about this game aside from me buying it cheap, playing once, trading it off. I entirely agree with your assessment; “eh” is the perfect description :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Got off my arse and posted some games for sale and 3 went straight away. All quite good games but not enough to break in to my affections

Clinic Deluxe I found the coop game disappointing which proved to be the nail in the coffin.

Nippon I had enough fun but not quite enough. It falls between many posts for me. Either too heavy, or not heavy enough. Either not interactive enough or not MPS enough. Meh.

Bus pains me a bit but even though it’s a Splotter as @Benkyo said “it’s just a worker placement”*

*Maybe not verbatim

7 Likes

Rather unexpectedly, Teotihuacan is gone, sold to a friend. Without opening a can of worms, I’ll say I’m sad to let it go, and happy to be rid of it.

2 Likes

That be like, “here’s a can of wooorms. I’m not going to open it though, oh no, not even if you want to know why I’m waving a can of worms around, I’m totally not going to tell you.”

I know why though.

5 Likes

[pillbox dons his mod hat for a moment]

[pillbox eyes the conversation carefully]

[pillbox doffs his mod hat]

If you don’t know what this is about and would like to find out, send me a direct message. This forum is not an appropriate location for the adjacent conversation

4 Likes

It was a brief way of saying that all of you in the know will know why I did it, and let’s let that be that.

You know you amplified mine right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Sold off Masters Gallery: Travel Edition, now that I have Modern Art the Card Game. (Same game)

Sold some more Knizias to thin the herd: Kings Gate, Clash of the Gladiators, Forbidden City, Colossal Arena, Indigo, Aristocracy, Blue Moon City. Not good enough against the… fleet of Knizias I have kept. Sold Colossal Arena because of Equinox by Plan B Games

Omen: Reign of War - I thought I would like this one, but no. Didn’t fancy it. It felt too Euro-y because you fiddle with coins and stuff. More 2 players were removed like Field of the Cloth of Gold . Rather stupid of me to keep loads of them. I actually liked Battle Ravens. Shame about its bad rating in BGG.

Deception Murder in Hong Kong - A fave on some people in our group, so it was a difficult one to sell, but I end up preferring other social deductions.

Merv - yeah. Too much mechanisms going on and too point salady.

1846: Race for the Midwest - Fun clever strategic ruthless game. But do I really want to play 4 hours of snowballing? I have enough Euros that does this for shorter time. Hopefully, more 18xx culling when I get to play more.

Council of 4 - gorgeous production from CMON and it seems to be in the same universe as Dogs of War - could be wrong, but the art style is the same!

Looney Quest - played all the worlds in one session with house mates. Fun, but I didn’t want to play it again.

Maka Bana - obscure old game of second guessing where people put their huts. The more you line up together, the more pts you score. I’ll just play Goodcritters for double guessing.

Paris Connection - obnoxiously huge box for a filler weight Cube Rail. Cube Rails are very accessible on rules. No need to keep this one.

Clockwork Wars - a coffin box area control and it’s not Cthulhu Wars? Sold. It was alright. I didn’t understood the “Holy Grail” status it has with its fans, but hey, that’s just me.

QMG: Peloponnesian War prefer QMG the Cold War and QMG 1914. 1914 is still my fave so far.

Celtic - it plays like an old school Euro. Too simplistic to keep though. :frowning:

Shards of Infinity - I dont like deckbuilders, especially the rolling market ones. (Quinns is on point lol) So I questioned my senses about this one. I didn’t know what to expect when I didn’t like it.

Nova Luna - I can see why they compare this with Patchwork because of the “time” element here. I’d rather play Patchwork.

6 Likes

Whew, I’ve been busy on this front. While I may have had a bit of an incoming blitz in January, I’ve also had an ongoing cull since then, and have pared down from nearly 50 to a legitimately anxiety reducing 29 games, inclusive of any incoming Kickstarters/Pre-orders. It’s been a LOT.

Out the door just yesterday was my final lot, some doozies:

• Bus
  • Cosmic Frog
  • Maya
  • Nagaraja
  • Awkward Guests

I’ve given up the bottom of my treasure closet so my partner can store and protect a bunch of amazing scrapbooks she was gifted recently, so I’ll need to do a fresh shelf-shot once I’m reorganized.

10 Likes

I sold my first bunch of games… Ever. It’s a big step 🥲

Games I got at the beginning of my boardgame life and are no longer relevant:
King of New York
Bang the Dice Game

And games that just didn’t do it for me:
Akrotiri - it’s a nice time, but I found zero tension. Most the fun is getting pieces off the player board to unlock better abilities, but plenty of other games do that. It’s a cute game though - good light game to get new players used to the functions and thrills of a playerboard before you shove Terra Mystica in their face. Traded this for Pandemic The Cure - one I had been eying up for a while but it was always so expensive. And tbh, it’s a big trade up I thought!

Letter Tycoon - I wanted a more gamified Scrabble, but the stocks don’t have any tension. It just plods along and you avoid letters owned by other players. Like Paperback, the restriction of letters doesn’t actually end up restricting much since there are so many words in the English language. So what I’m saying is: we really need to cull a lot of words from the dictionary. No words that are anagrams of other words allowed. Cheers

Selling felt so good I’m eying up the games that don’t quite justify their space on the Kallax… Captain Sonar, Nemos War, Sheriff of Nottingham 1st ed, Coimbra, TTR: Europe. I’m going to see if I can get a few more plays in before it comes to that.

6 Likes

Oh wow, those are two I see HIGH up people’s favourite lists, interesting!

Nova Luna
Definitely going to wait for Sagani.

1 Like

Still havering over maybe buying this one some time. Would you mind persuading me that I don’t need it?

1 Like

I don’t have a single bad thing to say about it without nitpicking. It’s maybe a little lavish if you don’t intend to play with at least 4 people, and setup/teardown is a minor pain, but it’s wonderful. It wasn’t going to get used the way it should in my hands so I was ok letting it go.

We have Break the Code which is an excellent, quick little 2P(+) deduction game that feels better for our use.

That probably didn’t sway you, eh?

5 Likes

Sold off all of Cyclades in anticipation for Cyclades 2. I’m starting to find Cyclades’ pacing a bit slow for me, even if the auction and area control are fun.

3 Likes

What? Is that getting a do-over too?

1 Like