Last Game you sold! (Volume 2)

Inhuman Conditions - Sold it on the Geek with a (cough) margin. Glad theres demand for it

Triassic Terror - eh. Too many area controls

Bruxelles 1893 - it’s good. But I cant justify keep it.

1 Like

You own El Grande right?

1 Like

Yep! That killed too many area controls in my collection like it was nobody’s business.

1 Like

Yunnan - i hate to lose this one. Zero luck Euro with strong player interaction. Comes with a slim box too! But the fact that it requires 4 or 5 to play well sucks because I could just play Container or El Grande or whatever. If I can play this is with 3, thatll be great.

Click Clack Lumberjack - love dexterity games but Men at Work is my go-to now

Dead Last - group dependent. It’s a riot when it’s with friends but it’s awkward with new people.

Lancaster - also VERY dependent on higher player count. I’ll just play Keyflower for jostling for places.

Gunkimono - interactive but it’s alright

Dream Factory

Staufer Dynasty - great show from Andreas Steding but Hansa Teut is his best one. This can go.

Castello Methoni - Love Colovini but this one wasnt as good as the others from him like Bridges of Shangri-La

Ginkgopolis - mish mash of mechanisms that works really well but I have to eliminate

3 Likes

I admire your ability to cycle so easily! I have a load of games to sell, but still want to get one last play in to be sure.

2 Likes

To be fair, they’ve been in the queue of the chopping block for a while. I recognised that my large collection is unhealthy to me, as I don’t have the means to store them. This Maths trade allowed me to shuffle a lot of them. But I get the equivalent number in. Which didn’t reduced my number. :stuck_out_tongue:

The hard ones to eliminate are the opaque ones, like Yunnan. Because I know there’s more in there if I play more of it. But I’m really giving reasons that can be insignificant to other people, but reasons enough that they’ll struggle to get some “table time”. This explains why I always sound grumpy about games :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is why I didn’t end up putting anything in for my wants on this maths trade. Last time I swapped a mid to heavy euro for a more rare and nicer looking mid to heavy euro. Didn’t resolve my issue with the shelf space or having around 30 euros which are on the axis medium/medium heavy/heavy. And that’s before even counting the economic/Splotter/train games, which will soon add another 30+. Then there’s the Chudyk’s…

Not enough time for all them in terms playing time let alone having to retain the rules and the strategies.

Although I have been successful on the maths trade in the past of getting good money for some of mine.

3 Likes

Well, the time came and Godtear got the axe, much sooner than expected and after just enough time with the game to know I reeeeeeally like it. But, shifting into the hobby space for my minis fix has placed added pressure on the real estate available for board games with minis. I sold it within my group (buddy pricing as usual) so hopefully I’ll still get some opportunities to play now and then.

My main concern was that it was already becoming a bit of a sprawling collection and everything they put out for the game so far has been worth grabbing. I opted to get out early before I dove in too deep.

5 Likes

Bit of a cull recently:

Witness - Love the idea of it - you all have one piece of the puzzle and you need to memorise and communicate effectively to see the whole puzzle. It’s simultaneously a game of chinese whispers and the plot to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. However, it has a strict player count and the puzzles themselves can be dry or a bit esoteric. Consequently, it’s had a handful of lukewarm responses and no-one’s keen to play it any more.

Fury of Dracula - Hidden movement with bells and whistles. Maybe too many bells and whistles. It’s kind of hard to get people to play a game knowing that their first game is going to take >3 hours and will probably involve a number of mistakes. Especially when Whitehall Mystery can be set up and taught in 5 minutes and plays in under an hour, and you can be pretty confident of no mistakes.

Unlock! Escape Adventures - When we played through the demo, the deck mechanic seemed such genius that we had really high hopes for this one, but good god the quality of the puzzles is atrocious! No point getting into specifics because I’m sure others will want to play this at some point (and hopefully, they’ll have more fun than we did). All I can say is that halfway through the second deck (of three), we all decided to stop and never play again.

A whole host of high player count games - Not so much a reaction to the current circumstances, but a realisation that I was barely playing them when I had the chance.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed Witness, but it was strangely French-specific. We were playing a puzzle about the Arc de Triomphe that took for granted that everyone knows the roundabout around the AdT has 12 exits. Without that knowledge, we had no grounding at all for our thinking. It was quite crazy to see everyone’s answers

4 Likes

IIRC, the very first puzzle requires you to recognise a Go board. None of my family had heard of Go. I thought they were describing Othello or Reversi. That’s quite a specific reference in our part of the world, so there was no way for us to salvage that as a puzzle.

Jumping on the selling bandwagon

Silver and Gold It’s fine, but that’s the problem. It’s so fine there’s no highs and lows. I feel the same about every Phil Walker-Harding game I’ve played apart from Sushi Go

Push, it’s alright. Diamant is everything I want in a PYL game (apart from the art of my edition)

New Frontiers, picked up as a bargain so sold for not much under what I bought it for. However this came down to a ‘how many mid weight euros do I need?’. Turns out the answer was one less. Sold unplayed

Search for Planet X. Sold unplayed again. New game but as I said in the buying game thread, new game fatigue us setting in.

Cancelled preorders of Root Fort. The reviews are drawing similarities to Race for the Galaxy - which I own and Village Green. New game fatigue again

And game adajacent, 300 4 g Poker Chips

4 Likes

Through the Ages 2 - very good but cant see myself playing this often

Age of Empires III - I end up preferring El Grande

Concordia Venus expansions - I dont see myaelf playing Concordia team mode for a while. So I dont see the point of it having it in my shelf. Losing one map isnt a big deal considering I have loads. I have every map of Concordia (except Venus)

3 Likes

I bought the Concordia Venus basegame for the bigger box with the intention of selling off my original Concordia box (which is on my todo list, so far I’ve only leveraged it, unsuccessfully, as tradebait in Math Trades)

2 Likes

If I ever pick it up, I’ll probably just grab Venus base as well. It’s one of the few “classic” (read; bland and boring looking, bordering on ugly) euro games in my wishlist.

Also, the Venus cover is WORLDS better than the original.

2 Likes

I do think Venus Basegame is absolutely the best entrypoint for someone getting into it without any previous content unless you never plan to get any expansions, and then you may prefer the smaller, uglier box of Concordia Prime.

1 Like

It’s a sad day today.

Decrypto XL has formally been traded for a new copy of the normal version plus cash. If you have the space for it, this is the ideal version of the game, in my opinion. Even though it was designed as a demo/convention game (I purchased it with intent to run it at a con this year…), I think if you plan to play with big groups in a couch-and-coffee-tables format, the huge cards/stand make a massive difference. Readability is greatly enhanced so folks can play less crowded in, and the giant (rewritable!) player cards are an obvious enhancement over the original. This all comes at the expense of a gigantic, air-filled, too-awesome-to-discard box, however, and it had to go. Back to the small box life.

Klask shares a similar fate, a beloved game too big for its britches. I will always be an eager player and I am glad to have owned it. It leaves shortly, along with an unplayed copy of Gatefall—a victim of 2020’s Kickstarter trickle-in, which is fast becoming a winter glut.

3 Likes

Orleans with the two expansions - for some reason I really like this one. But I find the game a bit too long.

2 Likes

Got a good enough offer for Jump Drive. It’s a good game but when I can solo Race… on the iPad in the same time, what’s the point?

2 Likes

Metropolys - great auction game. I like it more than the Speicherstad. But I’m not particularly wow about the secret objectives. Knizia’s auctions are always more interesting as you can see what other people are trying to do. You can do it here too, but not as interesting for me.

Fresh Fish - Design-wise: great game about positioning and blocking, but personally, it’s not for me. A fantastic guy bought it from me. He sounds like a great guy so I knocked down 5 quid off. I used the missing sticker as an excuse…

Medina 2nd edition - I would have kept this, but I have loads of tactile games with me. The Mask Trilogy, Torres, Taluva, Big City. and even Kingdom Builder feels kinda nice to play (see Quinns’ thoughts about KB on the old episodes).

7 Wonders - It took me a while to eliminate this because it’s a bundle and the news of the 2nd ed sucks.

Oasis - claustrophobic tile laying. Through the Desert is better though.

Ivanhoe - some prefer this over Condottiere, but I prefer the latter.

Clippers - same feel with Cube Rails where you can screw other people by redirecting the path of the ships. Not as good as Airlines Europe or actual Cube Rails I feel.

4 Likes