Last game you DIDN'T buy?

As a counterpoint to the Last game you bought? thread, I’m interested in recent games that you almost bought, but chose not to, or Kickstarters that you chose not to back. How long did you go back and forth on it? What finally made you choose not to spend the money?

4 Likes

For me, it was Spirit Island. I’ve been circling around this game like a vulture for months now, edging closer and closer to finally taking the plunge, and I saw it at my FLGS just the other day… and I backed off. I spend too much time playing Marvel Champions, and am certainly not in need of more solo games at the moment.

Imperium: Classics/Legends - always keen to see what Osprey Games is releasing. But glad to see how this one works and skipped it

Really struggled not to back the complete Everdell on KS, and My Father’s Work, will wait and see if I regret missing those.

And have paused on buying Gamora and Starlord hero packs for Marvel Champions for the first time ever, I think I have every other pack…

Was very close to buying Calico before I realised that it’s totally brutal, with “go for perfection and miss at the last minute, how you recover will determine the game” mechanics, which might not be what my partner wants. But the theme is incredible.

1 Like

My reasons are usually just price. Most recently I’ve shied away from Bus, because it sounds interesting, but not £60 interesting.

I’m not sure it counts, but I was recently offered a copy of War of the Ring (Second Edition) with the Lords of Middle Earth expansion in exchange for my spare (effectively: free) copy of Roads & Boats 20th Anniversary edition.

Somehow I couldn’t click “Accept” on the trade offer. I told the BGG user, who has been nothing but friendly and patient, that I need more time to think about it.

1 Like

I’ve just had an email from my FLGS to say they have Jagged Earth in stock. I know I’ll probably end up with it because, after a bad game a few years ago I’ve adored Spirit Island this year, on TTS and since we gave it to each other for our anniversary in April. However, we haven’t explored the base game enough to justify a £60 expansion yet.

Other than that, specifically I’ve not bought the Deep Sea version of The Crew. Mainly though, I’m not buying/ backing games this year so there have been lots of cheap deals for ok games that I may well have pulled the trigger on previously that I’ve passed on.

1 Like

You fool Star-lord is fun!

Is this helping this thread?

4 Likes

all 18XX. the guys I’ll get beaten by own them. That’s the only time I’ll play them. GMT COIN games for a similar reason.

Maglev Metro, looks fun but it’s a fun game with premium components

1 Like

Yeah! You’d have to be crazy to own an 18xx game… much more if you owned, say, a dozen or more of them :wink:

5 Likes

I am with you with My Father’s Work. I did consider backing, but I ended not doing so.

2 Likes

I think the Kemet: Blood and Sand Kickstarter is the last one I waffled on for a bit. When it came down to it, I just didn’t think it was worth the money when I have other DoaM style games that don’t hit the table often enough (my poor neglected copy of Inis, for instance).

1 Like

Lost Ruins of Arnak.

I have a soft spot for CGE because reasons and Vlaada but I had to decide between two deck builders with worker placement and… Dune Imperium made the cut due to theme and a slight hunch from the reviews that I was going to like Dune more (my copy arrived today, more about that in a minute elsewhere)

Then Arnak got the SdJ Kennerspiel nomination and I stood at FLGS and stared at it. It was just too expensive and also it is on BGA. But it’s CGE and it’s got the Indiana Jones vibe… I really really need to play it on BGA sometime soon to get it “out of my system”. I am reasonably sure I will recognize that it is not filling a niche in my collection and however lovely it probably is, I do not need another deck builder.

Another one: Coffee Traders. I was so excited to see a big game on coffee. Then I saw some actual game play and suddenly I was less excited. Also: expensive.

Atlantis Rising: Second Edition.
Several people here and on reviews noted how this is so much nicer than the first edition (which I played years ago and wasn’t excited about)… so I was hoping for it to get back in stock here. Then I watched it make an appearance on Quinns table in one of the Shux videos and somehow it seemed pretty much like the same game and I decided this was not the new coop game I needed.

I have a talent for waffling long enough so games go out of stock. So the next time I do the opposite and then I get to be disappointed twice. Once because I didn’t get the first game that I thought about for a long time and second time because I bought a game without doing proper research and thinking about it and it’s not exactly a great fit. A FOMO pendulum.

2 Likes

Based on the number of times that I have not bought Clank! I should probably remove it from my BGG wishlist :laughing:

3 Likes

I lately saw Icons on sale through Bundle of Holding. I’m always interested in superhero games, so I took a look. But it seemed clear that it wasn’t vanilla FUDGE, but a variant on FATE, so I passed it up.

I would have been in some conflict had I wanted to buy it, because Bundle of Holding always goes to support a nonprofit venture, and I was concerned that the particular nonprofit this one supports might be doing things I wouldn’t want to support. But if I had decided I wanted Icons I could have bought it at full price through DriveThruRPG.

Brass: Lancashire. It’s a nice game, but I’m happy playing it for free online, and I suspect the only local people who would play it with me already own it (and prefer Birmingham, the fools).

1 Like

Haven’t we already established you’ve bought your own FLGS?

6 Likes

Pshh! FLGS owners be jealous.

5 Likes

I’ve certainly done that when a game on my list has shown up at a really good price and I’ve found myself still havering over it (e.g. Alchemists). Yeah OK it was a nice idea but if I’m not going to buy it at that price what’s the point of having it on the wish list at all?

2 Likes

Don’t keep wishlists, it’s a trap!

4 Likes