Last game you bought?

Oh goody, the copy of Ticket to Ride Europe which I ordered to play with family on Christmas day has arrived… the family which (as of Sunday) I now can’t visit.

I never thought receiving a board game would make me feel sad…

5 Likes

Fingers crossed you will soon be able to play with them. :crossed_fingers: Cannot get that vaccine soon enough…

Great family game, by the way. One of my daughter’s favourites.

2 Likes

We ran a Secret Santa tonight with some of the local board gaming crew, via Discord and Messenger. It was originally going to be a white elephant kind of thing, but everyone seemed pretty keen about gameifying things a little. At the last minute we decided to adapt the dice bidding mechanic from Unearth and given the level of preparation it went pretty well (with a few emergency oversights getting hotfixes).

I actually think there’s a really compelling alternative to the typical white elephant/nasty Santa structure here (with some work), particularly in the traditional setting with a big group together; A few of the elements would benefit from the timed component of a traditional silent auction, for example.

Anyway, nice to chat “face to face” again with folks who’ve been exclusive text buddies for the last year now. Per the thread though, and courtesy of @Seryn I am now (eventually) the proud owner of Nothing to Talk About, and Cats and Cops from the Tokyo Washi Game series. Weird stuff! And I bid hard on it too. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I got a surprise package today–wasn’t supposed to arrive until after Christmas.

It contained the Tuscany expansion for Viticulture and Alubari which I played at Spiel when it came out which was so long ago I don’t remember–probably last year–at Spiel ist was sold out and then it took a while to arrive in shops and then I waffled and waffled and then a friend bought it for her partner and by the time I decided that didn’t matter it was sold out everywhere. Now it’s back in print and just as pretty as I remember and I finally have a tea themed game and it’s set in India and it has a railroad.

5 Likes

I got tired of not finding a normal-priced Viticulture in the UK (or it just being out of stock entirely), and ordered it direct from Stonemeier’s page :slight_smile:

Should arrive in January. (Saw one too many top 10 lists with folks putting it very high indeed, it’s time to get it)

4 Likes

I’ll be ordering the Tuscany expansion in the new year, and probably the metal coins for Viticulture too. Something wonderfully tactile about handling metal coins during such games.

3 Likes

I got 5 Minute Dungeon from my wife as a Christmas present, which is a game we played often at friends and is great to have in our own collection for a hectic though relativels easy set up coop real time game :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A couple of light party games were given in our house

12 Likes

And some heavier stuff!!

9 Likes

No games for me (besides my secret Santa that I have mentioned already) but Stuffed Fables was under the tree for my daughter.

4 Likes

Today was Boxing Day in Canada (not sure if it’s a thing anywhere else), and most stores had a flat 10-15% off, plus a few standout deals.

I couldn’t find a store that had everything I wanted in stock to grab free shipping (main “targets” were Unmatched: Buffy and Babylonia), and as the savings from 10% off what I did want wouldn’t cover shipping, I didn’t make any big purchases (probably for the best given recent months).

What I did grab was 3 display boxes of KeyForge Ascension plus a couple of starter boxes (package deal) for $10 each. Yes, 12 decks and a starter for $10!

I do not need the extra starters, but I’m going to give one to my sister and brother-in-law. Not sure they’ll love it, but it will let them learn it so that can play with my son when they’re over (or watching him).

Planning to wrap them up for his birthday at the end of the month!

The store also shipped Lost Ruins if Arnak which I’ve had on hold for awhile. Eager to try that soon!!

Now I just need my pre-order of Dwellings of Eldervale to arrive!

6 Likes

A couple of board games for Christmas - Raiders of the North Sea, Mandala and Tranquility. I knew enough about first two to expect good things, but nothing about Tranquility so we will see! I also received the Herb witches expansion for Quacks.

In the first post-Christmas purchase I’ve got the Wingspan European expansion and El Dorado Heroes and Hexes expansion on the way.

2 Likes

Was Herbs really cheap or something, as a lot of people seem to have got it, including me!

As well as Herbs, i got Marrakesh, Arboretum, a couple of Timelines packs and Cauldron Quest to play with the kids

3 Likes

Well, not bought, but received for Christmas.

First up was the Choose Your Own Adventure game House of Danger. I have not played one of these before, but remember books of that series, so curious to see how it works in a game format.

Received Marbology, which is like a sliding tile puzzle with marbles added to the mix. There are a bunch of challenges, with the goal to move one or more marbles from a given start location to their respective goals. Interesting little puzzle with a big deck of cards with a challenge on each. I have only done the first 6, and the difficulty is supposed to only increase as you go, so we will see how far through it I get.

I got expansions for Marvel Champions, these being: Captain America, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Green Goblin and Once and Future Kang.

One I am looking forward to is Star Wars Unlock, my first Unlock game, though I do have an unplayed game in the Exit series.

Lastly there were the newest Unmatched releases, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Little Red Riding Hood vs. Beowulf, which I am looking forward to trying out (though I still have Cobble and Fog to dive into yet).

4 Likes

We played the tutorial and the Hoth game this afternoon

1 Like

Found a half price copy of Blackout Hong Kong. Hopefully worth a punt!

3 Likes

YASS!!!

8 Likes

I just found out about Cthulhu wars:duel. This is a monsters on a map game that I was curious about but put off by the cost of entry and the recommended higher player count.

Losing the minis has made this a lot more palatable and the 2 player focus could make this an easy choice… but I’m gonna need to research if this in it’s new form has some crossover with unmatched in terms of feel.

2 Likes

I preordered a booster box of the latest Flesh & Blood set. Then they announced they wouldn’t be reprinting the set, and it’s sold out everywhere, with stores under-procured. Boxes are very easily selling for £300-450 each.

…it arrives this week. I don’t know what to do!!! I’ve never been the type to sell on, but it seems silly not to at those sorts of prices.

4 Likes

I know people who sold the first printing of Root for £180 when the KS was about £60.

Quite frankly I stopped judging people who flip luxury stuff like games for insane prices when the market is clearly there.

The real question is do you value the £350 more than never being able to get it again

2 Likes