Last game you bought?

Ha ha fair enough!

1 Like

This thread has been oddly lacking in posts by pillbox; thatā€™s because Iā€™ve paused my updates while my collection is in moving-box limbo. This, sadly, will persist for another few weeks.

I would, however, like to take a moment to mention a singular occasion: I just picked up Q.E. from some dudeā€™s porch! He wasnā€™t even there; just a big pile of honor-system-take-whichever-parcel-has-your-name-on-it.

So, as you may imagine, Iā€™m glad a found a copy of Q.E. that shares my name; very coincidental that it had my exact first and last name!

14 Likes

Imperial Struggle has arrived. Reading the rules has got me really excited. Love the play example they use, almost helps explain the rules better than the rulebook. Need to get a bag order in before we get round to playing it though - I despise shuffling tiles!

6 Likes

I just swapped Tiny Epic Zombies and Tiny Epic Defenders for Tiny Epic Dinosaurs. Iā€™m satisfied with the trade on the strength of the dinomeeples alone.

6 Likes

The Nusfjord talk here (plus other recent mentions) got me looking at it this weekend. Iā€™ve enjoyed other Uwe Rosenberg games, but tend to find them overwhelming to the point where I know Iā€™ll never play them frequently enough to get the hang of them, so the thought of a fast-playing streamlined version of his game style was quite appealing. I can see thereā€™s still things to learn over time; but I feel itā€™s on a manageable scale for me, and that the short play time should foster experimentation and learning without it feeling punishing.

Knowing that it works really well as a solo game was interesting too ā€“ from what I was reading, many people feel that this is his best game for solo play (although a title I wasnā€™t familiar with, At the Gates of Loyang, was also getting a lot of mentions in those discussions).

I also like the art and theme of Nusfjord better than the livestock farming themes; even if I really found myself wishing for a vegetarian-friendly theme.

ā€œI should take a look at that ā€˜Gates of Loyangā€™ game tooā€, I then thought to myselfā€¦

ATGOL turns out to be a game about growing/trading wheat, pumpkins, turnips, cabbages, beans, and leeks.

So Iā€™ve ordered both of those!

6 Likes

My copy of Root has finally arrived, although it is currently sat in my wifeā€™s work until tomorrow.

My sonā€™s birthday today and we got him Mythic Battles from eBay. Donā€™t know this game, but he likes card battlers and Greek and Norse mythology.

Thanks to @Marxā€™s suggestion I put in a cheeky bid for Cry Havoc plus expansion on eBay and won. Was planning on spending the money on Battle for Rokugan, but I guess weā€™ll see what the other game is about first!

8 Likes

I bought the FCM Ketchup expansion.

From the Maths trade:

• Summoners Isle - small box area cotrol. So im curious

• Great Wall of China - Knizia

• Euphrates & Tigris: Contest of Kings - Tigers and Pots: the card game!? :eyes::eyes:

• Angola - a 4 player trad wargame. This is just me taking a punt

• Seeland - by Wolfgang Kramer

• Coin Age

• Milito - 2 player Wallace. Love Battle Line. Wonder if this gives the same feelz

• Aristocracy - Knizia that I didnt play when I was at Essen last year

• Medici: the Card Game - I love Medici so Im super keen on this! :star_struck:

• Wallenstein 2nd ed - I like the more roundy map of Germany compare to sausage-shape Japan. :joy:

3 Likes

I had to grab some paint yesterday and, after Inhuman Conditions proved to be a complete bust with my partner, picked up Break the Code on a whim. Small box deduction in 15 minutes. Sign me up.

2 Likes

This BGG photo of the wooden game components for At the Gates of Loyang is delightful!

5 Likes

At the Gates of Loyang is a lovely indulgence of colorful wooden components.

1 Like

Oh dear God! I bet they eat their food on planks anā€™ all.

I believe there have been several blogs with titles along the lines of ā€œjust put my food on a )(*&)(&Ā£ plateā€.

1 Like

I have received another of my ā€œGrail Gamesā€. Still in shrink too. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I donā€™t recognize the game, but I do recognize both of the designers. Quite the pedigree!

1 Like

I donā€™t know the game; but I had the good fortune to see the Kurosawa film on the big screen a few years back, and that was amazing. Iā€™ve been hanging out for Criterion to do a new edition of that ever since.

2 Likes

Tennoji is near me, and now has an inner-city zoo thatā€™s good for kids, though the bigger animals look stressed. I donā€™t recognise the other locations.

1 Like

RAN is my favorite film of all time. Throne of Blood is my second. Iā€™m just a sucker for Kurosawaā€™s Shakespeare adaptations. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I was going to ask if the game was based on King Lear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A combination of Maths trading, selling a few games, and a general lack of willpower means that Iā€™ve acquired more games in the last few weeks than I had in the last few monthsā€¦
Recently arrived or on the way:

Samurai Spirit: the result of a cheeky bid on ebay. My husband isnā€™t fond of co-ops but he does love the film Seven Samurai, so I might get away with this one :shushing_face:

Yokohama: this has been on my wishlist for about 5 years, so I finally gave in and picked up a second-hand copy.

Splendor: maths trade

Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig: another maths trade (for Between Two Cities :grin:). I think Iā€™ll put it next to Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant on the ā€˜games with stupid titlesā€™ shelf.

Tiny Epic Dinosaurs: Possible replacement for Dinosaur Island, if it turns out to be similar enough and not such a pain to set upā€¦

Fort: A preorder that I blame entirely on the SUSD podcast :no_mouth:

5 Likes

Fair warning, Samurai Spirit is totally abstract and does very little to evoke the theme. I didnā€™t get on with it, but Iā€™m not really into co-ops either.

2 Likes