Last game you bought?

It’s Akira Kurosawa day here in the recent purchases thread!

Tangentially, my very oldest unplayed purchase is called Honor of the Samurai. It was one of the first board games I ever purchased as an adult, and I’ve never once gotten it to the table in all of the intervening years.

I’m not sure what else I can add to the subject, other than that I believe there have even been one or two board games indirectly inspired by The Hidden Fortress ; )

4 Likes

YESSS

After yeeeaars of it being my mythical wishlist game, got Dune. And also Kanagawa, because I refuse to be categorised.

11 Likes

Those two fit really well together (I have both, but I’ve yet to play Dune…).

I was strong today, I was running errands downtown and managed to not visit the FLGS because otherwise I’d be home with a new game. I’ll go next week instead :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Only if I want it to be. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s one of their Great Battles of History series. I wasn’t able to secure a copy when it was released, and if they ever P500 reprinted it, I missed the opportunity. This copy cost me a fair chunk of change, but it was listed as “used” despite the fact that it was never opened, so I’ll chalk it up as a win and leave it at that.

2 Likes

I’m having to resist indulging in some retail therapy myself. The new standalone investigator packs for Arkham Horror just released, and even though I’m in the middle of the Dunwich legacy campaign, they are very tempting.

2 Likes

I must agree with the previous comment about Battle for Rokugan.

What a very sensible box size!

7 Likes

So I bought a games bundle from eBay for £10.50

It contains Market Meltdown, Viva Las Vegas, The Guinness Game of Records and (most important) Hold’em-opoly. Average BGG rating - 4.0

Hold’em-opoly has the user comment;

If you like poker, and you like Monopoly, you’ll probably be disappointed on both counts.

As well as another user saying

Someone kill me if I ever accidentally play this thing.

So why did I buy them?

Lovely 22 mm mini poker chips

This many to be exact

• 35 - 1 Chips - White
  • 35 - 5 Chips - Turquoise
  • 35 - 10 Chips - Purple
  • 40 - 20 Chips - Red
  • 25 - 50 Chips - Green
  • 25 - 100 Chips - Blue
  • 15 - 500 Chips - Black

Well worth £10.50 I think

12 Likes

Oh please do post a pic next time you do go. I haven’t been to a game shop since last year!

1 Like

Thanks for posting that! I had no idea that it came with those chips. In fact, those look so handy for use in other games, that I just ordered a copy. :wink:

2 Likes

Well done. I’d have done the same. The comments on Hold’em-opoly are hysterical! :laughing:

1 Like

I’m already looking for second copy to replace my lightweight super diamonds for all the games

2 Likes

Added to my todolist: take picture of FLGS next time I go :wink:
It’s not a large store though. They have just one aisle and a corner of boardgames, the rest is filled with toys and lego and… other stuff that probably makes them more money than the games.

4 Likes

It’s a box that decided to stay in with a mug of cocoa instead of going out raving. A box that did its maths homework on the evening of the day it was given. A box that opened a pension savings account as soon as it left school.

7 Likes

Having such a big experience in a relatively dinky box is satisfying. I look over at it sitting on the shelf with its twin brother Whitehall Mystery and it makes me smile.

4 Likes

Forks!

From @MarkSP’s site https://radical8games.com/

I am already a fan because it is extremely small, which is my favourite size. Takes up almost no space on my shelf, which is good because I am running out of shelf.

11 Likes

Approximately 2.82842712475. Stupid little red box with its impromptu maths questions.

3 Likes

What a brilliant purchase! Please post in the appropriate thread when you’ve had a chance to play it. I’d love to read about your experience with it.

1 Like

Most definitely, but first I need to learn the rules

That just made my morning :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cannot wait to revisit the Legend of the Five Rings. It has been nearly two decades (played the RPG way back in the early 2000s)

1 Like

I’ve been trying to clear out a bunch of things for an imminent move, and I traded in a bunch of books to the local 2nd and Charles (a chain that deals in general geek interests). Imagine my major surprise when they happened to have a pristine used copy of Sekigahara! I’ve been interested in this for a long time, but never picked it up because I really didn’t think I’d have the time to play or find someone who’d invest in the rules, but when it cost me virtually nothing (even without the trade it would have only been $15!), I can’t pass up having it waiting in the wings. My winter break is now looking to be a mad dash to play this, Pax Pamir 2nd edition, and as much Root as possible. It’s important to have goals.

6 Likes