Last game you bought?

I scored Hues and Clues today from a family Bad Santa. I had to steal it from someone, my first choice was Connect Four, but you had to bounce the balls in like beer bong. It was refreshing to see a lot of games being exchanged, unless of course everyone thought a board game was a bad choice of a present.

And I got home and bought THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, on sale.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve apparently been a good boy this year:

15 Likes

Got Written in the Cards as a gift from a friend. A party game of doing comedy tarot reading/fortune telling. In the vein of Funemployed, Snake Oil, etc.

4 Likes

Got given The Mole for Christmas, and reading the rules it reminds me a lot of Spyfall At least it is a smaller box?

3 Likes

Silver was on the list. Reports are that this is the most ā€œgamerā€ iteration and a glance over the cards confirms it. Lots of powerful effects with interesting implications.

Canvas was not the list but was a gift from gamer friends. Like Cascadia I hear?

Venn never heard of. Gift from a non-gamer trying to get something Iā€™d never heard of. Success at that! Looks a bit like Mysterium meets Just One - combining pictures to get someone to guess a specified word.

But letā€™s talk about the behemoth in the corner: I know we talk about it all the time and these forums are rife with the big three of co-op: Spirit Island, Pandemic(s), and Mermaid Island. Took some years to hunt this down and Iā€™ve never seen one in the wild, but at last this grail is mine!

Gift from my eldest and hopefully her gateway drug. Promising initial signs are that if I ask her if she wants to play ā€œthe mermaid gameā€ she says ā€œItā€™s Mermaid Island.ā€ Thatā€™s the spirit of a gamer, that is. As I understand it, weā€™ll be racing the Sea Witch back to Mermaid Island to seal the fate of who owns it. Wish me luck.

ā€“
Circling back to Venn - I opened it up. No designer named on the box. So this is some corporate conference room product. Inside matches that - the concept is absolutely fine (if derivative) but the cards are photoshopped clip art and very little thought has been put into the guessing words. Likely a failure of execution but Iā€™m committed to a couple of games before I pass it on due to the social constraints of the gift.

8 Likes

Nor on BGG - published by The Op (formerly USAOpoly) who generally donā€™t credit designers.

3 Likes

Today I received a game that I donā€™t even remember buying (Akropolis)

9 Likes

Drunk buying is best buying?

5 Likes

Not a drinker - but Iā€™m guessing it was a late night purchase

5 Likes

Bought London 2nd ed, because Iā€™ve been watching it be cheap on Amazon for a year and finally ran out of patience and got it for Ā£15 (on Ebay, Amazon went up in price at the last minute).

5 Likes

Went down to see my family over new year and got Unmatched Vol. 2 as a Christmas gift :smiley:

And came home to a package containing my previous order :partying_face:

6 Likes

A late package delivery contained gifts from my parents, so I now also have Libertalia: Winds of Galecrest, and the Marvel Champions Hero packs for Wolverine, Storm, Phoenix, and Spider-Ham.

Need to finish up the Sinister Motives campaign so I can try out all my new content!

5 Likes

Found out this is a thing. Three days later itā€™s MY thing. I was on the fence but then found a $30 copy, with sleeves and plano. Things started happening quickly at that point.

I found it! You know, BGG is an odd place. Iā€™ve found the forums to be frequently toxic and tribal. Yet I found not one but two kind souls who had listed T&T ā€œfor tradeā€ six years ago. Both still had it. The closer one parted with it for MSRP. And asked if I wanted to meet at a cafe to play sometime.

12 Likes

My experience has been that the game forums are mostly fine, the 1PG forums are fine, but there are people who spend their entire online lives out on the less-specific forums and those are horribly under-moderated.

5 Likes

Agree on the whole tribal bit. I am too busy playing and with real life to spend too much time on the BGG forums.

2 Likes

BGG template:

Hi, can anyone clarify this rule?

Itā€™s in the rules.

Hereā€™s how the rule works:

OK, thanks. That is helpful.

@, Thatā€™s not how it works. Who are you, the developer?

@, No, hereā€™s a link to another thread where the developer clarified.

@OP, Why are you even playing? This is basic worker placement. Is this your first game? LOL.

Hi, this is the developer. The clarification is correct. Glad you enjoyed the game.

@Developer, I didnā€™t enjoy the game. This one strategy is overpowered.

@, Youā€™re playing the game wrong.

Developer: We found that in playtesting. But strategy X is an effective counter. Youā€™ll find different groups may avoid that strategy entirely.

@, why would you call this a worker placement game? Itā€™s obviously action selection.

@, I donā€™t think Iā€™m playing the game wrong. It was just a question.

12 Likes

Maybe I just play games that donā€™t attract those guys. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Wow. Iā€™m happy to say I canā€™t recall ever seeing anything that obnoxious on BGG.

Ooh. Ok, Iā€™ve seen this before. Not on a board-gaming forum, but somewhere else with a ā€œGeneral Chatā€ sub-forum which is just awful. Iā€™ve been visiting the forum generally forā€¦ (checksā€¦ goodnessā€¦ 23 years ā€“ and thatā€™s the replacement forum for the original one), but Iā€™ve rarely ever set a virtual foot in that particular corner of it in all that time.

3 Likes

Christmas acquisitions!
or
How my family continues to spoil me

When I asked both of my daughters, separately, what they liked to do with their mom, they both mentioned ā€œplay gamesā€, so it was easy to let them select a game at Target to get for my partner for Christmas.

Hungry Hungry Hippos ā€“

I remember this one fondly from my childhood. The current version has a couple of different scoring methods which is interesting (and I donā€™t think we had when I was a child?)

Enchanted Cupcake Party Game ā€“

At first glance, I wasnā€™t even sure this was a game. It certainly is, but later I discovered the edition we bought isnā€™t even databased on BGG (which I plan to submitā€¦ you knowā€¦ because Iā€™m a totally sane person with valid priorities). It was actually a bit of a surprise; itā€™s fun! Itā€™s a cooperative game with a clever ā€œaction selectionā€ mechanism (I mean, clever for a kids game). My partner was being (ironically?) helpful when she pointed out that I could play it solo if I wanted. It was the perfect game for our family to play, as it even kept the 3-year-old engaged.

Additionally, I finally gave my partner a couple of games that Iā€™ve had for a while but was waiting for a special occasion:

The Fuzzies ā€“

I knew my partner would enjoy this, but at the time I received it, I knew our children would ensure the components would be scattered hopelessly around our house the first time they got ahold of it. Our oldest is old enough now that I would trust her to play it, but probably not the 3yo yet. My partner really loved the old Popcap game Chuzzle, and I canā€™t look at The Fuzzies without thinking about Chuzzle. Glad to have finally given it to her.

Ticket to Ride: San Francisco ā€“

I regularly buy my partner a new Ticket to Ride for most gift-giving occasions (birthday, Christmas, and even our wedding anniversary when I gave her TTR: Europe 15th Anniversary Edition).
I actually donā€™t know anything about TTR:SF I just bothered to read the BGG description for the game and, just as I suspected, itā€™s very much like the other small-box TTR games.

Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza ā€“

This past spring, we took the family to a friendā€™s milestone birthday where he was hosting an all-day games day; my partner made it there before I could and managed to sit in on a game of Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza. I know nothing about it other than she really enjoyed playing it; Iā€™ve heard it described as dumb fun.

My partner didnā€™t have time to go to our FLGS, so picked me up a couple of games from Target (or maybe Amazon? She wasnā€™t very clear about it):

Dominion: Seaside ā€“

We havenā€™t played Dominion in a long time, but I do know that my partner really enjoys when we do. Perhaps this is a nudge to get it back on the table. While adding this to my BGG collection, I noticed that there is a very recent 2nd edition of Seaside, but thatā€™s not what I was given, so I will be on the lookout for the 2nd edition upgrade pack.

Disney Villainous: Evil Comes Prepared ā€“

We really enjoyed Disney Villainous, so I put all of the expansions on my wishlist. I think this is the second one and features Yzma (The Emperorā€™s New Groove), Scar (The Lion King), and Ratigan (The Great Mouse Detective). Iā€™m not big into Disney (but we have a few friends who really are; and my partner still likes to watch the Disney movies she remembers from her childhood), but this box hits on some of my more memorable Disney memories. I remember, in particular, enjoying The Great Mouse Detective as a child, though I havenā€™t returned to it as an adult.

And a couple even from my partnerā€™s family! With my partnerā€™s siblings, we are given one other person to buy for, and they will buy for someone else, and they for someone else, etc, but we put a $25 limit on it. My partnerā€™s brother was given me to shop for and managed to pick:

SCOUT ā€“

Iā€™ve been hearing a lot about SCOUT lately from a number of sources. Iā€™m very excited to get a chance to play it.

Additionally, while I was out shopping with one of my daughters to have her pick a gift for my partner, I was in Barnes & Noble and saw they had a hard-to-find game on sale. I texted a picture of it to my partner, letting her know that if anyone was looking for a last minute gift idea (it was like 2 days before Christmas, I think?), this would be a good choice. Well, lo-and-behold:

Quirky Circuits ā€“

I feel like this one flew completely under the radar until earlier this year, after which it quickly sold out most places. I do think another printing is underway, but I was very surprised to see it on the shelf at B&N. I expect to mostly explore it with my oldest daughter who I think will really enjoy it when sheā€™s just a bit older.

We have one more family Christmas gathering and I suspect thereā€™s a 50-50 chance Iā€™ll get another game then.

13 Likes

Iā€™ve only ever visited the game-specific forums for rules queries. Outside of rules queries, I usually find theyā€™re made up of the following:

1. People asking whether a game is worth buying, on a forum almost exclusively frequented by people who like the game.
  2. People asking how a game compares to something very different, and being told theyā€™re very different.
  3. People asking how a game compares to something very similar, and being told theyā€™re very different.
  4. People asking when a game will come back into print, regardless of whether itā€™s out of print or not.

But hey, itā€™s useful for rules queries.

9 Likes