Last game you bought?

The Paige Turner pun is fantastic!

6 Likes

German Rails No Box for £16.

Happy with that :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My wife and I ran away from home for about an hour or so for our mental health. Stopped by our FLGS (which now has a gaming space next door, see Last Game Played thread), and browsing the used games I saw Mice and Mystics.

This is a game that I first saw on Tabletop with Wil Wheaton, which he played with his wife and sons. It looked cute, and though according to the comments they played it horribly wrong, I thought it would be something that I could someday get and play with my kids.

Of course, then my kids turned out to be disabled, and with their somewhat destructive tendencies, it’s a dream I have pretty much set aside for the past number of years, passing on the game a number of times because of that.

My wife purchased it.

While I still have doubts that I will be able to play this, or any modern board game, with my kids within the next decade, and fear such a thing may never be possible, I at least have the game now should my fears and doubts prove to be wrong, and can play with other family and friends in the meantime.

11 Likes

Finally bit the bullet on an Italian copy of Whitehall Mystery. We adore Letters from Whitechapel so I’ve been keeping an eye out an English copy of Whitechapel for ages. But with them generally going for £70 secondhand, a new Italian copy with some homemade stickers to go over the tokens at less than half the price seemed like the better option. Now to translate the small amount of Italian in the game!

9 Likes

Yikes! Looks as if I was lucky to get it when I did a few years ago.

4 Likes

Ouch. It’s just $36.88 on Amazon in the US right now.

3 Likes

My September and October have been a bit crazy for purchases. I’d managed to slow down for most of the year, but this is too many too fast thanks to various injuries and illnesses in the house increasing both stress levels and shopping time. (Just the “owned” ones).

6 Likes

Just a quick FYI: the Mice & Mystics formula is good, but overly ambitious in the original iteration (the one you now own). I still love it, but after attempting to get through the campaign 3 times with different groups (my partner and two other friends each time), I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s just not terribly good.

It’s not bad, but they do this annoying thing where every map has a rule that you will never need again, but is quite detailed and fiddly. The Cheese Wheel mechanic is neat but random, the combat is deep and crunchy but the story is extremely childish (the baddie is the “Queen of Darklandia”… I mean… come on…), and a lot of the stuff just kinda… jars? Like, there’s no “experience” from one session to the next, but you do sorta unlock new skills that you keep but you can’t keep equipment? Or you can keep some equipment but not a lot?

It’s weird. I still like it, but I think the designers cleaned up a lot and pushed it out again as the improved Stuffed Fables. That was then refined and changed for Comanauts (the first time the connected the adult, crunchy rules to an adult, crunchy story… but it wasn’t well received because I think everyone who loved M&M or SF was expecting kid-friendly), and then they experimented with the… frankly terribly Gen7 (story is super dark… like, genocide-levels of dark… mechanics are extremely unforgiving for a dice game, and the “slow reveal of problems” often means that the missions are actually impossible… pity too, because the concept of the game is really neat), and then that led into the apparently fantastic Aftermath (M&M but post apocalyptic…), and then that led into the new Familiar Tales which is back to the really kid-friendly story.

Anyway. All that to say that if you like the idea of the game more than the game, most of the other iterations I’ve played (aside from Gen7) are an improvement.

8 Likes

I think one of the problems here was that off the back of the success of Dead of Winter they were setting out to make not just a better Stuffed Fables but another Crossroads game – at the same time, not just DoW in space. So two goals collided.

5 Likes

That looks like there was a lot of stress oO hope things are better now.

5 Likes

I’ve had my eye on it before I managed to get Whitechapel secondhand, but even that goes for crazy money now. I’ve not seen any new copies for sale in the two years I’ve been looking! Happy to have Whitehall now though, and after the first couple of plays I’m happy I own both.

5 Likes

Corneal abrasion thanks to my toddler, then work stuff, then illness, then wife work stuff, then car stuff, then wife broken toe!

Almost back to normal now so will have to sell some older games :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I’ve seen 3 toddler caused corneal abrasions in the last month. Vicious

7 Likes

May I ask how?

3 Likes

Two with fingers and once with a toe.

Doesn’t happen as often to specs wearers

4 Likes

“Lie down daddy”.

:point_right::eye:

5 Likes

Yes, the danger there is with little babies, they tend to take your specs off your ace if you’re not careful. At least specs can be replaced easily (if not cheaply)

1 Like

Fantastic summary. There’s this item on my to do list titled “Find Mice & Mystics notes - Stuffed Fables? Aftermath?”, added sometime in the deep past, that I can now cross off.

Probably Stuffed Fables and Familiar Tales, then, as my audience is going to be kids. I just need to keep growing them.

3 Likes

Because I’m an idiot (even moreso, as I originally posted this in the wrong thread), I ordered Nemesis today because Miniature Market has it on sale for $92. I was really hoping to get in a game of it at SHUX, but it just didn’t happen. And as usual, if I want to actually get a chance of trying out a game, I pretty much have to purchase it and convince my friends and family to give it a try. Not too big of a deal for a $20ish game, but quite the risk for a nearly $100 one.

Luckily, we are a group that enjoys Betrayal at House on the Hill, so the randomness and potential sudden deaths should not be an issue.

8 Likes

Picked up Long Shot: the dice game and Welcome to the Moon. So much content in the Welcome to box, almost overwhelming for a simple roll and write.

7 Likes