Last game you bought?

My friend Mark, who designed The Game Of 49, has rebranded and rereleased it:

6 Likes

Recent arrivals:

• Libertalia: already played. Probably more fun with higher player counts which suits me perfectly. Need to play in a double feature with Mission Red Planet. Who would win: the Brunos vs Paolo Mori? The cardplay seems similar but what happens with the cards is different enough to maybe maybe own both. I originally bought Mission Red Planet because unlike Libertalia it was available and personally I prefer SF settings over pirates (my partner currently disagreesā€“he is playing ā€œSea of Thievesā€ on the computer) and I have a thing for area majority/control games aka games with maps. Libertalia is newer and therefore has better production. Mission Red Planet has little plastic astronauts. So thereā€™s that.
  • Art Decko: I have played this on BGA and after 2 plays I decided I needed to own this. Now many months later the game finally came in stock and my ā€œpreorderā€ arrived. It is a far bigger box than I anticipated, at max I would have assumed Brass B but it is a full-size square box. The board is also full-size (4 squares) and I am realizing how much book-keeping the BGA implementation does for you. I am not sure yet if this one falls into the ā€œdid I really need the physical copyā€ category. But I have friends whom I want to show this to who do not play digital board games. I am planning a triple feature with Canvas - Modern Art - Art Decko. (mostly so I can finally get Modern Art to the table)
  • Shipwreck Arcanaā€“thanks again for mentioning there was a possibility to get this @SteveB_uk and also @Monochrome_Penguin for talking about it in the first place. I had previously tried to find this (because Zee) and gave up on it. Iā€™ll take it on our trip and see if it is worthy :slight_smile: The box arrived with one corner already damaged a little bit but itā€™s okay enough. I already love the tarot sized cardsā€¦ canā€™t wait to try this.
4 Likes

Oooh yes, let us know how it plays!

2 Likes

Was weak and bought Rolling Realms second hand from another member of the Monday Night Games Group for a mere 25 NZD. I have heard really good things about it, and I couldnā€™t resist at that price.

1 Like

My husband couldnā€™t sleep last night and in his exhausted state he bought some * whispers* war games :scream:

13 Likes

How many is ā€œsomeā€?

5 Likes

I bought Harpoon V with some US$ royalties to avoid the currency conversionā€¦

2 Likes

Three, I think.

4 Likes

5211 - Azul edition - cheap card game, why not?

Radlands - 2 player card game that said to be similar to Schotten Totten/Battleline?

Aliceā€™s Garden - was given this and Radlands, as I do shilling as a side-gig now

Age of Steam: Heavy Cardboard & Detroit Bankruptcy - Is there such a thing as ā€œtoo many Age of Steam mapsā€? The Lord says no

3 Likes

I saw a copy of Cuphead Fast Rolling Dice Game back around December, in an unlikely shop, at a fairly unfriendly price. I survived the blind-buy at the time, watched some gameplay, confirmed it looked like a worthy buy and of course itā€™s been out of stock since. One of my local shops had it back in today, so I took it home.

I bought it explicitly for light fun with friends and family but took a practice run by myself this evening, and itā€™s not half bad as a solo game. Itā€™s definitely high-stress, high-action stuff. Itā€™s no thinker, but still produces just enough cognitive load against the time pressure to make for a frantic time, and the challenge seems quite stiff.

A fun pick up for the family corner!

2 Likes

Ooh thatā€™s tempting as my son loves Cuphead!

1 Like

Ghosts of Christmas, because itā€™s a trick taker, and I canā€™t resist them. Late pledge, so not sure when Iā€™ll get it.

2 Likes

*search search*

Oh, what the hell is that?

I sometimes wonder whether there are psychologically-scarred ā€œfocus groupsā€ of children out there, who have been subjected to all manner of horror in an effort to identify those particular forms of horror which, inexplicably, appeal to (only) children? Whoā€™s creating these nightmares and thinking ā€œI bet kids will love this!ā€?!

4 Likes

Itā€™s actually a genuinely good computer game, although bloody hard. Really enjoyed playing through it with him.

Itā€™s only PJ Masks, Beppi, YouTubers playing games, Five Nights at Freddies, PAZU games, Roblox, Shark Bite, and a billion others that fill me with dread and horror.

2 Likes

As a kid, I was subjected to the fun and amusing ā€˜Mr Noseybonkā€™. He still haunts my nightmares.

Terror warning for this link.

2 Likes

(From Jimā€™ll Paint It)

4 Likes

I really hate the rubber hose animation style and I hate that Cupheadā€™s success has inspired so many copycats.

Itā€™s the gameplay that roped me in. This isnā€™t some 1:1 translation of the game. Itā€™s more like cooperative Martian Dice in ultra-fast-forward with a really mean streak. Itā€™s a LOUD game!

[EDIT] @bruitist itā€™s a tragedy that artist managed to miss even one of Dr. Snugglesā€™ many visual horrors.

1 Like

Huh. Iā€™ve just looked that up and it looks eerily familiar, but I canā€™t remember anything about it ā€¦

2 Likes

Oh. Oh, wow. ā€œJimā€™ll Paint Itā€ could be expensive for me.

3 Likes

Narcos, because it was cheap. I have looked at it in the past, and it seems to be well reviewed. Itā€™s one vs many, which I never used to like much. But games like Scotland Yard and (more recently) Treasure Island are pretty good.

2 Likes