Last game you bought?

Oh no! I have become that guy!!! You either die a hero or live long enough to become a tyrant.

4 Likes

My life goal is to live long enough to die a tyrannical hero.

And itā€™s alright, boardgamegeek says that GAH is better than Lorenzo and Iā€™ve never known them to get rankings wrong, so Iā€™m good.

4 Likes

And even if it were, theyā€™re releasing a Lorenzo big box soonā€¦

1 Like

In what most assuredly officially puts me over my purchase limit for the year, a couple of new arrivals:

Dampfross ā€“ When there are local (local pickup option available to me) BGG auctions, I canā€™t help but take a closer look. Sadly, not a lot of interest, but I did spy this for $8 minimum bid. Iā€™d love to give this a try, and I think I know who I can talk into trying it with me, but Iā€™m mostly buying it the way youā€™d buy the original, foreign language edition of one of your favorite books. Only, in this case, itā€™s a Mayfair-imported copy from the 90s, so it includes English rules, and the board has both English and German place names.

Galaxy Trucker: Anniversary Edition ā€“ I learned a few months ago that there were no current plans by CGE to reprint the Big Expansion expansion, but I hoped they were just waiting on worldwide logistics to settle down; when they announced the new edition of Galaxy Trucker, it became obvious why and that they had no intention of ever printing Big Expansion again, leaving my Galaxy Trucker box noticeably incomplete. So, on yet a different local-pickup-able BGG auction, I found this and put down a reasonable minimum bid ā€“ a couple weeks later, I pick it up from the seller at a nearby FLGS for a good price. Now, I wonder, if thereā€™s any market for my secondhand Galaxy Trucker and Another Big Expansion (I have already folded my Latest Models and Missions into the big box).

pillboxā€™s 2021 Purchase Tracker as of 2021-06-04: 11.10

Tracker
  • Codename: Fifteen (0.1)
  • (KS) 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight
  • Anachrony: Infinity Box
  • (KS) Bucket of Bolts / Artefact (0.1 each)
  • 18OE (Codename: Easterly Alacrity)
  • Northern Pacific (Codename: Boreal Pacifism)
  • (KS) 18MagyarorszĆ”g
  • Vast: Crystal Caverns (Codename: Dark Shiny) (0.1)
  • (KS) Root: Marauderā€™s Expansion (0.1)
  • (KS) John Company
  • (KS) Empyreal: Far Corners (0.1)
  • The Networks
  • Fields of Arle: Tea & Trade (0.1)
  • Seasons of Inis (0.1)
  • Lords of Xidit
  • Hallertau
  • The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43
  • (KS) Rail Barons of the World (0.1)
  • Dampfross [NEW]
  • Galaxy Trucker: Anniversary Edition (0.1) [NEW]
3 Likes

I have many fond memories of playing this. A friend of mine owned it and we spend many an afternoon playing. It must be an early reason I enjoy building routes so much.

2 Likes

Picked up Imperium: Legends today, which looks like everything Iā€™ve ever wanted from a civ-likeā€“a component-minimal, relatively quick, absolutely gorgeous card game with a well-considered solo mode. Reading the rules, itā€™s a bit heavier and longer than my usual fare, but hopefully the rules congeal nicely after a learning play or two.

3 Likes

Iā€™m crushing on Imperium quite a bit. Iā€™m hoping itā€™ll be in stores for my partner to get a copy when she goes shopping for my birthday.

2 Likes

Bought Yellow and Yangtze and (re) bought Franchise from a STEVES COLLECTABLES FAST DISPATCH

despite the slightly excitable title itā€™s a solid place that sells things they can get at heavy discount. So good price for both.

3 Likes

I only played its predecessor, Medieval Merchants. It was fun with a lot of good decisions.

Im tempted on that seller now. It is pretty alright price. But I need to cull first.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s a game I sold in a fit of frustration. Iā€™ve played both and I think Franchise is better. Easier to read board (despite it looking like someone threw Rainbow Laces at the board) and simplified connection costs.

1 Like

A second hand copy of a study in emerald arrived today.

The combination of Gaiman, Wallace and Cthulhu was too hard to resist.

6 Likes

Ah, but first or second edition?

(Some people care very deeply about this. Others donā€™t.)

4 Likes

Second edition. I need to do some research on the differences saw Zee say that theme was sacrificed to streamline play.

5 Likes

I picked up The Rival Networks yesterday. Iā€™m a little disappointed about the table space this thing requires, since I had hoped for a small-table game for summer balcony play, but thatā€™s not looking too likely without taking the coffee table outside.

Anyway, that aside itā€™s all laid out for a teach-n-play tonight, if the kiddo lets us. I have some concerns about longevity given the tiny deck of cards, but so long as itā€™s tuned for a highly competitive experience, variety shouldnā€™t end up being the limiting factor.

2 Likes

1st ed is longer with a lot more jank and craziness. 2nd ed is more streamlined. The usual criticism of the 1st ed is that 2nd edition is straight up better as a game. The usual criticism of 2nd ed is that it lost everything special about it in the streamlining.

Pretty standard really! Very different experiences and both good.

1 Like

I got a call from my FLGS that my (special ordered) copy of Nanga Parbat had arrived, so I headed down to grab it, and walked out with Spicy while I was at it; Things are opening up around here and my collection was woefully lean on quick card games.

Both are absolutely delightful little productions. Nanga Parbat in particular felt like a steal of a deal.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know why, but my brain refuses to parse Nanga Parbat. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I just got done with the manual. As abstracts go, I think itā€™s pretty well done, was there anything in particular that didnā€™t want to stick?

Meanwhile, The Rival Networks was a beast of a read for me, in spite of being riddled with example text and images. Iā€™m consistently fascinated when a game eludes me, particularly since itā€™s almost always lighter faire that does me in. I needed a video for Spicy this afternoon. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Ahh, I meant just the name. Every time I see ā€œNanga Parbatā€ I have to read it a few times to figure out what it says.

EDIT: Also, it sounds like youā€™ve found your way properly into ā€œlife of parent of small childā€. It seriously zaps brainpower.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to chock it up to that, but Iā€™ve had issues grokking light games (particularly abstract card games) my whole life. Iā€™m not sure what it is about them, especially considering I eat comprehensive, heavy manuals for breakfast.

3 Likes