Introduction thread

Hello, I’m Corentin (french name, impossible to say in english). It feels rendundant to say, but I’m also from the forum-that-was. Happy to be here, and sadly,I have to win all my badges again :disappointed_relieved:

15 Likes

A small hairy refugee walks into the room, looking timid and fearful at first he throws off his rags to reveal a dazzilng suit!

I come from the far lands of SUSDania! I seek sanctuary!

AHEM

Hello everyone!

11 Likes

Hello everyone, and first of all a big thank you to @RogerBW and the rest of the Tekeli regulars for graciously welcoming a bunch of refugees into your home.

I am Michael and like many others here I have just been asked to Stand Up & Walk Out.

Looking forward to making your acquaintances :slight_smile:

14 Likes

How do?!

Is it time now to keep calm and carry on playing?

6 Likes

Add one more to the influx :slight_smile: I’m inordinately pleased to see that someone has already started a gardening thread :grin:

10 Likes

Now they are coming in rapid fire! :smiley:

2 Likes

Welcome to all the new folk, no matter from whence they came! But it’s good to see you all recognizing each other. :smiley:

10 Likes

Thanks @rredmond, we are trying to be as respectful as we can of the ecosystem.

6 Likes

[pillbox looks up from his prior activity of planting foreign and invasive species of forum threads and memes]

Huh? Oh, yeah, right. Very respectful, we are.

7 Likes

Indeed we are! Thanks so very much to you all, and to the ever-delightful @RogerBW for steering us here.

8 Likes

And here’s yet another SUSD transplant. I just wanted to say thank you to @RogerBW for opening this up to us, and for all the members. Hopefully we don’t trample all over the existing ecosystem and instead can help build this up to something even bigger and better.

Anyway, hello new people (and also to the fellow transplants)!

I’m MikeimusPrime/Mikeimus/Michael/Mike. I’m a dad of two daughters, one almost 17 years old, one 2.5 years old, a husband, and, obviously, a nerd.

I’ve been playing board games for, I think 8-10 years at this point, don’t exactly remember, and have dabbled off and on in RP for even longer. Got my start there in a PBF wrestling league when I was 16 or 17, so, damn. Over 20 years ago.

At this point, I game more than RP, mostly because I can’t DM (being creative stresses me out/drains me a lot of the time), neither can my friends. And finding a group for a system/world I want to play is hard.

As for games, I dabble in all of them, but quicker games tend to stick more with most of my group, though it’s shrunk down to the point where we can start playing some of the bigger two-player games. You know, once it’s actually safe to be around people.

Anyway, long intro, sorry. Thanks for having me/us. I’ll likely lurk far more than I post, especially early on until I feel comfortable enough in a new community to start participating.

12 Likes

Is that Riverside as in the site of the erstwhile Riverside Raceway?

Nice to see everyone coming over :smiley:
This might be a silly question but what exactly is Tekeli? If we’re going to be spending time here then I’m interested in what this place is originally set up for

1 Like

The discussion forums are an offshoot of my main gaming site, https://tekeli.li/ , where I put up various (mostly static) content, mostly by me but with some from other people.

Tekeli.li is a domain name I registered because the .li domain comes under SwissNIC and isn’t taking anything away from the Liechtensteinians (unlike .io, which is a scandal), and “tekeli-li” is a reference to the Lovecraftian story At the Mountains of Madness.

So the brief is basically “talking about role-playing and board games”, which is why I felt free to offer it to the SU&SD exiles.

9 Likes

Wow, there’s a lot of work there! Is there anything you recommend checking out for newcomers?

Um. Mostly it’s “so you’re interested in this game, here’s some stuff I have to say about it”. The role-playing stuff includes additional rules, campaign writeups, a gaming podcast and a GURPS fanzine. (I play a lot of GURPS; I’m not insensitive to the problems, but it does the things I want a game engine to do.)

2 Likes

It seems the good ship SU&SD Forums still has some life rafts coming in (I won’t say floaters). Yet another bedraggled exile here! Hello!

Thank you so much for your warm and generous hospitality @RogerBW et al. Absolutely brilliant.

I imagine I’ll mostly be in PBF games with the odd insight (read: nonsense) on various topics and, because I’m cool; also the occasional post in gardening (I see that’s already up and running noice!).

9 Likes

Apparently yes, though this is the first time I’ve heard of it. It apparently was located in an area that is now the city of Moreno Valley, which we visited occasionally to shop.

Which does get quoted in an old SU&SD video!

5 Likes

From all accounts it was probably one of those circuits that should never have been allowed to exist, although I do have a certain fondness for old-school motor racing and Riverside is one of my favourite circuits that no longer exists for reasons I can’t quite put my finger on.