I was just looking at a certain game on my table and thought how we cannot travel much right now. So if you were to organize a game night or game week-end around traveling the world what games would you choose?
Find the (most interesting) sequence of games that will let you travel around the world. It doesn’t have to be 8 games… do it in more or less. Like with any 'round the world trip you can take a couple of connecting “flights” across oceans or the blank spaces on your personal game map. No constraints on games but if you want you can restrict yourself to:
- only games from your collection or wishlist
- only games you rated at least a 7 on BGG
- only games from a certain category (can anyone do it in 18xx?)
So start with a game set in the country you currently live in or any other if you want to shroud yourself in mystery. Choose east or west. The next game in the series should be further in that direction. How do you get there? Boat, plane, train? Repeat with more games until you are back where you started.
How does a game qualify?
I just want to give a few general pointers on how I am thinking one could choose games for such a trip:
- Games that take place in the real world in a specific place like Castles of Burgundy or or Pax Pamir are easy.
- A game can feature multiple countries like Merv does or probably Marco Polo.
- The place does not have to appear in the game title
- Place can be “implied” as in Ghost Stories which is set in a Chinese village.
- An abstract game like Ganesha with obvious cultural ties would qualify as a trip to India.
- You could use games that feature the whole world map as jokers.
- Leaving Earth qualifies for all the countries represented with space agencies Just choose one.
- Lord of the Rings games are all set in NZ–obviously
- The country where the game designer is from could also be an interesting choice.
- Whatever you say goes as long as the trip is an interesting one.