How are you today?

Enjoying the cheery blue skies outside - not so much the shrieking wind (he says, nervously glancing at the fence). And my parents are meant to visit tomorrow which will be lovely.

I’m trying to start skipping as an alternative to running - still very much in the early stages though. I’ve thought about it for a while but now finally have a place to do it privately.

10 Likes

Pretty much just turned down an interview opportunity for a significant pay increase as it’s in central Manchester. 1 hour away on a good day (if you can get parked).

Not sure how to feel about that.

10 Likes

I took a massive pay cut a few years back to avoid driving for 1 to 1.5 hours to work and the same back.

Not the best career move but for my mental health it was a no brainer. Looking back I don’t regret it.

6 Likes

Sounds like my commute. Do not recommend if you have to do it every day.

4 Likes

I asked the recruiter if I could do a hybrid. Unfortunately building a lab in my garage isn’t an option for them apparently.

I make enough money here but it’s been 8 years and University pay scales do not allow a lot of latitude for moving up grades.

8 Likes

I had a “work from home safety “ training a couple months ago. I was dis appointed to learn that I am not allowed to use lasers, welding equipment, or chemicals while working at home.

10 Likes

Well, there goes like 3/4th of my hobbies!

10 Likes

The other one being buying copies of Roads and Boats?

10 Likes

Bwahahahaha!

(The bot says that my grammar appears unclear. Bot, I’m laughing and I wanted to type about it.)

7 Likes

I’ve had a lot of work stuff going on recently. My job has been stressing me out no end, in particular the people management bit, so requested to stop being a line manager… and they said yes.

I (quite cheekily I thought) asked whether the company would fund me to do a postgraduate diploma… and they said yes straight away

In March I unsuccessfully applied for a promotion and was quite frustrated about it. We have these promotion rounds every six months and I didn’t apply this time. Yesterday I had a catch up with one of the senior leadership team and he insisted we go and find a meeting room, dialled in my manager (I had no idea what was going on), and then told me they’d decided to promote me despite not applying :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What the hell is going on?

17 Likes

I have two guesses, both of them cynical:
A. the person they passed you over for turned out to not meet expectations
B. see: The Hudsucker Proxy

6 Likes

Ha! A healthy amount of scepticism :grin:

It’s not actually a role change, just a pay bump and a change in grade from Senior to Principal.

6 Likes

It sounds like congratulations however you got there

8 Likes

I’ve seen the promotion thing happen when there were N spots but N+1 people who should get it. I suspect you had some one pushing for you, too.

4 Likes

I’d say that B at the beginning involved crying, which then developed into laughter… Maybe I am going too deep into this, unlike the bot…

On the other hand, I had an interesting situation on Thursday. We have been struggling in both Technical departments for staff, so at last we had an interview on Thursday at 4 pm. Me and the head of product development, along with the Production Manager, and we had a pleasant interview, the guy has experience, seems nice. Then we got to the salary. He has been offered the same salary bracket as me. I kept my composure, we closed the meeting, said our farewells and that was that, we will here from him soon.

Next morning the head of PD comes to my office and closes the door. What did you think of that salary offer?? Turns out, my colleague, that has been 4 years in the company, has only just reached that bracket earlier this year. Funny enough, I am having my 3 months review delayed to November, but I know that if the guy is employed, I certainly will talk salaries…

7 Likes

Axe juggling wasn’t mentioned, don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t let me continue.

3 Likes

“You know, for the kids!”

3 Likes

One of my toes is currently replicating the red-blue portion of the color wheel.

5 Likes

So. Missed a corner on my bike about an hour ago. THAT was fun.

Just a couple really big bruises and some light scrapes. More embarrassing than painful, but gosh, that was dumb. Teach me to take corners too fast.

Ah well. I’m on vacation for the next week! Woo! Going to get some writing done! Woo! So not all bad!

12 Likes

finally caught covid. maybe even before the fair. i was unmasked at the dentists because how else is it supposed to work? one of the assistants was coughing into her thin mask while telling me how she is sick of the pandemic. it was just a cold though her constant coughing. right.

i mean i was prepared to catch it at the fair. but everyone there was so so disciplined with the masks i felt safer than at the dentists.

15 Likes