How are you today?

My gym has running machines and bikes that put a running track, etc. on screen. There’s the option to “race” other gym users as well.

It’s surprisingly effective seeing someone up ahead that you can catch, even if you’re doing totally different training.

5 Likes

Geocaching is good if you want a “point” to a walk as extra motivation.

@Marx if it was possible to brain your way out of depression (or anxiety) I would have done it years ago! As it is I’ve just been on and off antidepressants since my teens - whenever my brain is being enough of a jerk to need a pharmaceutical kick up the backside. Solidarity :fist:

10 Likes

I used to ride a stationary bike pushed WAY TOO CLOSE to an old-school 34" flatscreen TV while playing Gran Turismo on the PS2. It was invigorating.

Now that I’m an adult, though, walking with a podcast is my go-to when I realize that I’ve barely moved in a couple days.

6 Likes

I have seen various hacks to link racing-game controllers to how hard you’re pedalling on the bike or whatever.

4 Likes

I guess my exercise needs a ‘purpose’ beyond keep fit.

I used to get the train to work and then a brisk 15 minute walk up the hill to work did wonders. Now in post COVID life I don’t get the train due to the higher risk of it.

3 Likes

Do you feel defeated if you take paracetamol when you have high fever? Or painkillers for a twisted ankle? I think you did the right thing by seeking help, and many don’t, remember that. And that can take you down a very dark road.

I admit that I have had periods where I have considered looking for help, and good advice from friends and my partner in crime, plus changing my attitude after watching a few Buddhist videos did take me out, but everybody is different. Finding what works for you is the key, but you took the more important step, which is asking for help.

Hiking tends to work wonders. A walk surrounded by nature and clean air do help.

I used to walk loads in the UK when we had a dog, until I hurt my Achilles (one that I never got to the heart of it, by the way, it is still stiff and sore most mornings), so I changed to cycling. A couple of years ago I got my OH a static bicycle for Christmas, and I did watch most of SUSD videos while cycling on it. The problem is that I can overdo it if the video/podcast is good, and then end up sore for days.

Thanks for the recommendations!

4 Likes

You’re not a failure. This is not failing. You’re sick. You have a chemical imbalance in your brain that is causing it to lie to you. You recognized something was wrong, you asked for help and you’re receiving it. You are taking steps to get better. That’s a success. That’s a win. The first of many.

And we’ll be right here for the next one. And the one after that.

You’re not alone. Remember that.

I’m directing this at Marx, but it goes to anyone who’s suffering. We’re here.

9 Likes

Others have already said it, but it’s something that can’t be said enough so I’m going to join in. Take meds when you need them without shame. Diabetics take insulin and aren’t expected to somehow will themselves to the right blood sugar levels. They need help with a chemical their body isn’t producing correctly. Same concept. If some chemicals in the form of pills can also help with a mental health concern, that’s what your body needs and there shouldn’t be any stigma attached to that. Maybe things like diet, exercise, etc. can also help in both cases, but they aren’t always enough on their own and that’s fine. You take care of yourself using all the tools available.

10 Likes

Plotting holidays last night for November-December was interesting. Looks like there is a decent chance I could be for my 45th spin around the Sun down in the Canaries, prices look good, just some tinkering here and there, with a stop likely in Singapore for the night and a shorter one in either Munich or Frankfurt. It could be a funny trip leaving from here in spring, hitting the tropics and proper German freezing weather on the way… back to eternal spring in Gran Canaria… fingers crossed I wont catch a cold on the way with so much temperature change.

6 Likes

Got my first Very Official positive Covid test results back. Working in a public school where I live all but guaranteed that it would happen at some point.

So far it’s no worse than the worst head cold of my life, plus persistent joint pain. I’m glad I got all my shots, since the unvaccinated folks I know seemed to have gotten hit way harder.

Based on my sub notes from today, I have the feeling that five days out of the classroom is going to be harder to recover from than the virus…

14 Likes

Wishing you well, hopefully it won’t be too bad.

3 Likes

It’s Arbitrary April Holiday for me, and I’m spending it fixing my bathroom sink drain. Yay me.

3 Likes

Covid recovery continues. Getting more grad work done than expected, plus some gaming in with the kids. Could be much, much worse.

10 Likes

I got married yesterday. Today I am tired, a little bit hungover and utterly elated.

The ceremony went off smoothly and the evening was a whirlwind of not having enough time to talk to anyone enough but it was excellent fun. While it was excellent fun I’m aiming not to do it again.

This being married thing seems good so far.
Also special shout out to @lalunaverde ’s matching tie and shadow/double/extra colour stylings.

26 Likes

Congratulations :slight_smile: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Sounds like you had a great time!

4 Likes

Congratulations

I hope you never have to do it again!!

5 Likes

I was so overwhelmed i blubbed my way through my vows. It was excellent!

Thanks! So do I. She’s amazing

6 Likes

Congratulations, and all the best!

3 Likes

Congrats, Wyvern!

3 Likes

Congratulations!

I recall having a conversation with my partner immediately following our wedding along the lines of “I never want to do that again… but it would be great fun to do that again!”

5 Likes