Games you've never heard of (or how much time do you spend looking at BGG rankings)

Amazed that I got to page 25. Although this would have been much lower if the Exit series of games weren’t spread so thinly through the listings. Also, playing Boggle once or twice when I went away with my parents bought me some time.

3 Likes

Just had a look and it contains a game I owned but never played as I couldn’t understand the rules (Aye, Dark Overlord). It is now gone from my collection.

2 Likes

I still have that. FLGS recommended it. We also haven’t played it.

1 Like

Page 25 has Pinata! A colorful remake of Balloon Cup. One of the games my partner and I will play while sitting on the couch.

1 Like

All I have played on Page 43 is Martian Fluxx… so… I wish perhaps that I couldn’t consider page 43 played :grin:

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed VOLT! VOLT makes Page 43 a satisfactory “played”.

I think #133 Ora et Labora is the first game I couldn’t come up with something specific about it when I saw the name.

For challenge 2, I think I’m out at page 45. I’ve played Epic Spell Wars, but I don’t think it was the card set on this page, I’ve played KeyForge but definitely not that card set, and I’ve played 7 Wonders but not the new edition. I think everything else is a total no.

2 Likes

Challenge 2: page 39, only because I haven’t yet played the copy of Aeon’s End: Outcasts that arrived a couple of months ago.

3 Likes

I was going to suggest a new challenge. Start at the end of the listings and see how far you go before you find a game you’ve played. However Noughts & Crosses (Tic Tac Toe), Bingo, The Game of Life and Monopoly are all in the bottom 10 games of all time so I’d be very surprised if someone hadn’t played at least one of those.

4 Likes

That seems a little unfair…

2 Likes

As I think Quinns among others has pointed out, Noughts and Crosses as we know it is the wrong version of the game. In Three Men’s Morris each side only has three pieces, and once they’re all placed players take turns to move them (to any space, or just to adjacent ones; both are attested).

3 Likes

There are several Knizias on the last page so @lalunaverde is going to “win” this one :wink:

2 Likes

I laughed but when I’m actually doing it, I can’t find one, because all of them are new games or upcoming games! I’m not cool enough to get access to those! :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

So https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame/page/197 is the last page that has “ranked” games (there are 1200+ pages of games), and maybe we need to add a provision for games newer than maybe 1950 to weed out some of the obvious ones like Tic Tac Toe and Monopoly (sorry Crokinole but you weren’t going to be “it” anyway) or set it to 1979 (first Spiel des Jahres award) or some other arbitrary date.

1 Like

Excluding all “basic family games” (that are mostly down there because of snobbery) and trivia games (specifically ignoring the “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” game), the lowest ranked game I’ve played is Man Bites Dog, which is kind of CAH but very inoffensive and bland.

2 Likes

That’s easy. Reiner Knizia’s Game of Thrones Intrigue on Page 195 :rofl:

Penguin Party is infinitely better, as I mentioned in the other thread.

I had a look at my ratings instead and sort it by geek ranking, which is way easier. Next up is
Dracarys Dice Don’t Get Burned! (2018) in Page 181. This one is actually bad. Like, when your bar to beat is Zombie Dice (which is a fun filler btw) and you failed to pass it, then it’s bad.

2 Likes

We have a copy of Schatz der Inka which has been banned to my partner’s office. It’s a childhood game of his from page 194. I haven’t played it though. So I have to keep going and going…

And I could have saved myself some time just going to games I have ranked (apparently none of my childhood games are ranked quite so low as these… the two lowest ranked games I played are also games I have ranked:

• The Last Banquet at #17833 which I played at SPIEL in 2012 and ranked at 8/10. I always wanted to buy it but it’s a game for up to 20 people that wouldn’t work so well with low player numbers. But it was great fun at the fair. (page 179)
  • The Isle of Dr. Necreaux at #17195 which I have fond memories of. It’s a small box coop card game that survived quite a few purges and I rated it at 7/10. The mono-filament wire is deadly! One day we “solved” and never played again.
1 Like

I see @yashima had linked to the page now but I couldn’t find the end either so I searched for what I assumed would be the worst ranked game I could think of (Game of Life) and hit the jackpot

1 Like

Discounting the following:

• Candyland
  • Game of Life
  • Battleship
  • Guess Who?
    and many more

I guess it would be Phase 10 (#19635) on page 197.

Diving deeper (and skipping Pogs (#19562)): Cashflow 101 which is a guilty pleasure a friend couple has and convinced us to play.

After that, it’s Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot that is literally one of my partner’s favorite games (which… … sigh)

After that it’s Skip-Bo which is another of my partner’s favorite games…

EDIT2: The worst ranked game that I’ve played, actually like, and think should be ranked higher is Whales Destroying the World (#12299). It’s yet-another-hidden-traitor game but it’s light and the theme is adorable (if only pasted on). After that I get all the way to Belle of the Ball (#5337) before finding another such title.

Path of Glory for me too. As soon as I hit the war games, it’s game over.

Excluding war games, it’s #173 Princes of Florence. It’s such a vague generic euro title I feel like I might have heard of it, but couldn’t say the slightest thing about it!

3 Likes

We used to own Princes of Florence but played it a few times too often and it went with last year’s purge especially easy decision because our friends still have it. It was an early game with polynom… tetris tiles. Not terribly complicated and forgettable enough that I don’t remember much about the actual mechanisms. But if our friends wanted to play I would.

4 Likes