Games you've never heard of (or how much time do you spend looking at BGG rankings)

I spend too much time with the Vassal crowd to not have a passing familiarity with wargames, and Paths of Glory is well-known (and posted by Boydesian).

3 Likes

@yashima there is a lovely SU&SD video review of 1960: the making of the president.

3 Likes

Hmmm, had missed this thread somehow. #47 Anachrony for me. No idea what it is even about.

4 Likes

A twisted sci fi worker placement where the excitement of time travel is reduced down to capitalist servitude. The future brings nothing but debt.

5 Likes

Had an interesting conversation with a friend re Anachrony:

“You use time travel to take resources from the future to your present, but you have to pay it back when that future comes. It’s a very interesting mechanic”

“So basically a loan, then?”

I could be wrong here. It wasn’t explain to me well.

7 Likes

No, you’re right. It’s a common joke on BGG!

3 Likes

I am very surprised I made it to seven (I refuse to count Bridge)

I cannot believe my geekness, I have played this game and loved it. You try to evade being blamed for a massive defeat using cards as excuses. It is fun.

2 Likes

I only got as far as page 22. It was a vast sea of nothingness for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

David Turczi said as much on Ludology when he was interviewed on it recently. Great episode, really worth a listen.

Lowest ranked game I’ve played and enjoyed is Warriors 19520 . I would still happily play this any time and to quote a friend on it “It has no right to be as good as it is It’s basically Risk the card game But it’s short and fun.”

First game I’d not heard of at the other end was Onitama. Still not sure about it. No details have stuck.

4 Likes

Going from the bottom ratings, I own a game from that list (besides the obvious Game of Life that my 8 yo daughter loves): Dirty Minds: The Game of Naughty Clues

How I still own it… I don’t know.

The best thing about it, it was a present from an ex… :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Rated number 19633 :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Page 25 for me, despite having games I want to play (An Infamous Traffic, Ortus Regni) and a couple of games I very nearly played (Pairs, Decktet), and a different edition of a game I have played (Grizzled: Armistice edition).

2 Likes

Challenge 2 was page 19 for me. (To my shame, I have never played Hearts!)

If, however, we allow Cosmic Encounter on that page, despite it not being the version I’ve played, then I get all the way to page… uh, 21. That didn’t help much : )

2 Likes

I was given that game by my friends as a birthday present when I was an undergraduate! I think I took it to a charity shop when I moved back home.

3 Likes

It’s the most chesslike game I’ve played that I actually enjoy. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If variations of games count then one of the “Through the ages” would be it.

But otherwise it’d be “chaos in the old world” (about 120)

1 Like

Now you say that I recall seeing the name was on a discussion here recently. Chess like games fly out of my brain quickly though.

2 Likes

Not as far as I’d expected to get - 156 Aeon’s End: War Eternal

1 Like

In terms of games I had never heard of, it was Mechs & Minions (currently at #40) although the only reason I had heard of Gaia Project at #7 was from seeing it in the Fans Also Like section of some BGG listings.

As for pages before reaching one where I have never played a game listed, I got to page 4, although if I exclude games in which I had played other or older versions (ie, versions of Risk, Pandemic or Blood Bowl) it would be page 14.

2 Likes

Yep, it was Mechs & Minions that got me. I did quite well if I ignored that one.

2 Likes