Boxes full of air and other tragedies

Yeah, that is a valid concern. I’m poor at cutting, I did wonder if using tape to seal edges would hide enough sins to make the exercise still worth while :man_shrugging:

@Mintochris had advice on that topic:

1 Like

I sliced down the big box edition of Escape: CotT. Quite happy with the result, but yeah, abandon all thoughts of resale.

Note how nearly all the space is taken up by the six dice trays I added. Could be much smaller!

6 Likes

I dont slice my games, but put several games in boxes with loads of air. I have Imperial and Imperial 2030 in one box.

I did manage to resell games this way. I have Antike II and Navegador sold this way, but I offered knock down price of them. But I’m okay with that.

5 Likes

Well… find the right buyer, and they might pay a premium for it : )

3 Likes

Imhotep plus expansion in the expansion box.

8 Likes

Decided to slice down OctoDice as a test. Here’s the unsliced base and the carefully measured lid. Gluing the existing paper over the new slice has proven the messiest part, so in future I think I’ll just use some tape to seal the edges.

9 Likes

Two boxes now literally full of air, one with nothing but French cards and instructions, and the largest box now stuffed full of all the content.

Thanks to the Everdell Complete Collection for all the baggies, since there were only two each in the V-Sabotage boxes. Still have like 15 or so left.

8 Likes

Yes, that was nice. They put there like thrice as many needed. And twice as many stickers, in case you cock up applying every singe one of them.

3 Likes

The single punchboard with the tiny tiny cardboard tokens (those were hard to punch) is probably to blame for the box size. But this could definitely have gone in a Carcassonne sized box instead. The plans are smaller than the box size. And the height of the box is at least twice what is required.

7 Likes

I was pretty intrigued by this one… (but then forgot all about it : )

I’d be keen to hear what you think of it.

Shame about the box.

4 Likes

One of the Top 20 solo lists reminded me of this one, and so it sneaked into my Mage Knight order :slight_smile: I’ll definitely post about it!

5 Likes

Guild of Merchant explorers is good fun. I don’t think the boards could afford to be smaller unless they were foldable.

4 Likes

The classic excuse for big boxes is “shelf presence”, and I wouldn’t have thought that would be much of a thing these days - but when we talked on More Games than Time with a couple of publishers, they said it was still hugely important to their sales.

8 Likes

Maybe they are thinking of expansions…? That seems quite a lot of extra box for shelf presence…

3 Likes

My personal bugbear (I think I’m using that phrase correctly here… “My biggest complaint”?) is boxes that only have the game title on the front. The publishers are trying to demand that I put their game on the shelf front-facing.

Let me tell you right now: it absolutely never works. Even “Return to Dark Tower” which is enormous and only has the name on the front… you better believe I’m spite-shelving that sideways. Screw you and your horrible understanding of trying to put 1,500 different games on a finite amount of shelf space.

It drives me sideways. Pantone. Murder Mystery Case Files. Push. I don’t care how important you think you are or your “vision” for how your design will look: put the godsdamn name of your game on every side of the box. Thank you!.

15 Likes

The Advanced Bastard then writes the game title on a post-it note on the side of the box. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

And miss names it.

“Return of a dark tower”

12 Likes

Maybe your spite is why all the game boxes are cubes now.

4 Likes

“Back to the Dim Pole”

(if not something more dim-spire-ational.)

6 Likes