BGB and SU&SD Draft the BGG Top 100 | AwSHUX 2021

2022-06-08T17:31:00Z

What’s the best collection? I’ve gone one step further and made collections out of the destroyed picks (not entirely fair, since Quinns & Neilan didn’t destroy a 6th pick)

Quinns & Neilan

El Grande
Terra Mystica
Crokinole
Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy
Pandemic Legacy: Season 2
Kingdom Death: Monster

AVA & KELLEN

Spirit Island
Twilight Imperium IV
Castles of Burgundy
Quacks of Quedlinburg
Patchwork
Mage Knight Board Game

TOM & MARK

Brass Birmingham
Tigris & Euphrates
Root
Codenames
Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
Arkham Horror: The Card Game

DESTROYED - QUINNS & NEILAN

Concordia
Azul
Food Chain Magnate
Race for the Galaxy
Gaia Project

DESTROYED - AVA & KELLEN

Gloomhaven
A Feast for Odin
The Crew
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
Orleans
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

DESTROYED - TOM & MARK

Terraforming Mars
Scythe
Wingspan
Le Havre
Android: Netrunner
War of the Ring: Second Edition

BGB and SU&SD Draft the BGG Top 100
  • Quinns & Neilan
  • Ava & Kellen
  • Tom & Mark
  • Destroyed by Quinns & Neilan
  • Destroyed by Ava & Kellen
  • Destroyed by Tom & Mark
0 voters

This was surprisingly fun to watch. I had no idea Ava liked some of these games so much. Blood Rage & Concordia… Quinns is right… he blew it. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

That was a surprisingly easy choice Tom & Mark

2 Likes

Clear winner.

I admit I was split between two but I went for the obvious one for me: Ava & Kellen, although with Tom & Mark a very close second.

4 Likes

Guess I’m out of the ordinary because I felt the obvious choice was destroyed by Ava and Kellen. Maybe a bit heavy overall but The Crew… I could play that forever.

1 Like

That was my second choice :+1:

2 Likes

Had to go with Ava and Kellan. While Tom and Mark are a close second, I have no particular love for Root or B:B, and if you are only taking the core set into consideration, AH: tcg is not all that good. The remaining games are strong, but cannot compare to Spirit Island, TI4, Mage Knight (which I have not played but looks amazing), and even Quacks and Patchwork are so easy to teach and play. Never played CoB, so can’t comment on it. And I just have no clue what Quinns and Neilan were thinking..

3 Likes

Looks like I’m the only one here who chose Quinns/Neilan

2 Likes

I chose Quinns/Neilan!

El Grande and Crokinole are magnificent, Terra Mystica and Eclipse are very strong. I don’t love the Pandemic series as much as everyone else does, or KDM, but I think that general group is a lot stronger than Root, Codenames etc for me. You have to bring heavyweights if you’re going up against El Grande.

1 Like
Thought on Quinns/Neilan's line up

El Grande, Terra Mystica, and Crokinole are 5/5 for me.

I had a great time with Eclipse 1st ed, and it’s one of the best 4x I’ve played. I’ll safely assume 2nd ed is essentially the same but improved on the setup, which is my main issue with Eclipse.

Pandemic Legacy Season 1 was one of my best board game experience. Not sure about 2. If it still delivers the “TV series experience in a board game”, then sure.

I have zero thoughts/assumptions on KDM

4 Likes

KDM is legit unplayable trash. It’s awful.

It’s heavily random, the base game is half-baked, the rules are a mess, the combat loop is unsatisfying… I have a friend who went all-in (like, $2,000CAD? Thereabout) and insisted we keep playing it until it became good.

Three playthroughs later and you literally couldn’t pay me to play it again (I mean… you could… but it would have to be at least $50/hour so I could walk away with a few hundred bucks).

Now, I’ve been told that the TTS version is much better by reducing the idiotic amount of overhead to a rational level and allowing you to track stuff in a semi-intelligent way rather then the mess of cards, boards, and sheets KDM uses by default. To me, this is not praise.

The closest thing I can compare it to is a bottle of Louis XIII Cognac. It costs a fortune ($4,000-ish?) and tastes like licking the bottom of the boots for an entire troop of square dancers after they’ve had an outdoor rehearsal at a barn. But everyone raves about it because it costs a fortune. It has to be good!

I’ve never been so surprised by Quinns before. He likes Cosmic way more than I do, but that’s a defensible position. KDM is an utterly baffling inclusion.

4 Likes

Quinns definitely got into his own head, trying to pick “a fan-favorite” rather than picking “a great game”. Or, that’s my impression at least.

3 Likes

Don’t hold back. Tell us how you really feel about KDM.

5 Likes

Is kingdom death the one that was dissed by Paul?

1 Like

Paul: “Kingdom Death… is not great, but it’s frequently good.”

(For my own vote I assumed I’d dispose of the games I didn’t like and just concentrated on the ones I did.)

5 Likes

Ah yes. The game where you can punch a lion’s testes

2 Likes

That seemed to be Quinns’ view, that the setup was quick for Eclipse 2nd (everything ready in the plastic tray).

2 Likes

I think i remembered the feel of that more than the words. It’s such an odd thing to hear that conclusion after getting through the whole thing.