BGB and SU&SD Draft the BGG Top 100 | AwSHUX 2021

I actually think Paul makes an error in the review leading him to play hard mode.

He talks about losing a fight and having to cobble together weapons for the next fight.

When you lose a fight, you don’t lose all your equipment.

2 Likes

Of the actual groups, Ava/Kellen wins with a whopping two games I’ve actually played/liked/would play again (CoB + patchwork).

Quinns/Neilan’s destroyed list is the overall winner thanks to Concordia/Azul/RftG.

Games I've played from the lists

Quinns/Neilan - 1 (El Grande, though I will be playing Crokinole tomorrow night)
Ava/Kellen - 2 (CoB + Patchwork)
Tom/Mark - 2 (Codenames, which I’d always throw aside in favour of Decrypto, + Tigris & Euphrates, which I played once disastrously, so the jury is still out)

Quinns/Neilan destroyed - 3 (Concordia, Azul, RftG)
Ava/Kellen destroyed - 0
Tom/Mark destoyed - 0

3 Likes

That’s a very good point, that our take on the lists is going to be heavily affected by the number of the games we have played.

My played games

Q+N - El Grande
A+K - Spirit Island, TI4, Quacks, and Patchwork
T+M - T&E, Root, Codenames, JotL, Arkham

Q+N destroyed - Concordia, Azul
A+K destroyed - Pan Leg S1, Orleans
T+M destroyed - Terraforming Mars

I stand by my choice of Ava and Kellan’s list, with Tom and Mark a close second.

3 Likes

I have played every game on the list except for Jaws of the Lion… but I have played OG Gloomhaven, so I am counting it.

2 Likes

We could do this with any topic…. Hmm. Thinking.

1 Like

And which list do you consider the winner?

2 Likes

If, out of all of them, I were to pick a personal favourite, I think I’d have to say either the “Destroyed” list by Tom & Mark (Two really phenomenal 2 player games, one of my personal favourite jack-of-all-trades, a great engine-builder, a good Uwe, and the perfectly fine-although-not-great Wingspan) or the Ava and Kellen main list (for TI4 and Mage Knight, two personal favourites, along with a strong Co-op game, a good Push-your-luck game, a great 2-player game… the only one I don’t really care for is Castles of Burgundy, which is still fine just not in my personal top-50).

Quinns and Neilan have one great game (Eclipse 2nd Dawn), two good ones (El Grande and Terra Mystica), and the only dexterity game out of any list… but KDM and PanLeg 2 are both full-on kooky-dook inclusions. PanLeg2 was fine but not good, and I think I may have already made my opinion about KDM clear (TL;DR version: a bad game for $75, and a sin before all Gods at the price people actually paid for it).

5 Likes

I’m not sure about the rules of this game but I don’t get why Legacy 1 gets booted in favour of Legacy 2. Seems either mad or vindictive.

4 Likes

I think the idea of the destruction was not ‘this is bad’ but ‘nobody else can have this’.

4 Likes

The goal is to end with the best set of games, and a lot of these moves seem tactical. Also I think pandemic was dinged so one team was the only one with co-op games.

3 Likes

Ah I see. So I’m some sense the deestroyed list could be the best list! Probably makes more sense why Tom destroyed net runner to just stop Quinn’s I guess given he did a video on it recently!

5 Likes

New question: What would be your list from the games remaining in the top 100? It’s probably changed a bit since this was recorded, but whatever :woman_shrugging:

For reference: Remaining games from current BGG Top 100

Star Wars: Rebellion
Ark Nova
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
Great Western Trail
Twilight Struggle
Dune: Imperium
Nemesis
7 Wonders Duel
Brass: Lancashire
Clank!: Legacy – Acquisitions Incorporated
Viticulture Essential Edition
Everdell
Lost Ruins of Arnak
Puerto Rico
Marvel Champions: The Card Game
Caverna: The Cave Farmers
Too Many Bones
Barrage
Blood Rage
Agricola
Pax Pamir: Second Edition
Maracaibo
Underwater Cities
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
Anachrony
Tzolk’in: The Mayan Calendar
Power Grid
On Mars
Clans of Caledonia
Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Mechs vs. Minions
Lisboa
The Gallerist
Pandemic Legacy: Season 0
The 7th Continent
The Crew: Mission Deep Sea
Paladins of the West Kingdom
Eclipse
Aeon’s End
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure
Cascadia
Fields of Arle
Five Tribes
Teotihuacan: City of Gods
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Agricola (Revised Edition)
7 Wonders
Lords of Waterdeep
Grand Austria Hotel
Dominant Species
Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon
Architects of the West Kingdom
Keyflower
Kanban EV
Caylus
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Dominion: Intrigue
Mombasa
Troyes
Twilight Imperium: Third Edition
Raiders of the North Sea
The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-Earth
Eldritch Horror
Lorenzo il Magnifico
Sleeping Gods
Decrypto

My list:

• Great Western Trail
  • 7 Wonders Duel
  • Tzolk’in: The Mayan Calendar
  • Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
  • Troyes
  • Decrypto

Which is basically just all the games I’ve played and didn’t hate. (Well, I didn’t hate Clank, but it was underwhelming.)

Also, I’d destroy Dominion.

4 Likes

Thanks for that list: I’m slightly surprised to find nothing in it that is in my first rank of “pester people to play this at any opportunity” games (though Aeon’s End comes close). And I quite enjoyed my one play of Battlestar Galactica though I do think other games do the thing better. I’ve played a few others, but never come close to owning them.

2 Likes

Ignoring different versions of games already taken or on the list (TI3, Through the Ages, Eclipse, etc…) I think my list would be:

• Dune Imperium (lovely little synergistic deck-builder)
  • Viticulture (one of the top worker placement games I’ve ever played)
  • Star Wars Imperial Assault (Space wizards and laser swords, man… space wizards and laser swords)
  • Mechs vs Minions (fantastic co-op version of a programmable game… like Colt Express or Robo Rally, but arguably better)
  • Sleeping Gods (a really lovely narratively-driven RPG-lite with solid mechanics that almost always reward you for doing stuff, rather than punishing you for failing)
  • Decrypto (Codenames… but just a tiny bit better, except at 4 or 5 players where it is way better).

My Destroy list includes:

• Agricola (Uwe’s worst game, and way too depressing for me)
  • 7th Continent (so much wasted potential… a game that actively doesn’t want you to have fun)
  • Blood Rage (I love Eric Lang, and I think this is a solid design, but gosh all the women boob boobily across the boobs)
  • Nemesis (thematic in spades, but two or three too many mechanics and the rulebook is among the worst I have ever read. I would say a really solid game for $75, but again, almost unforgivable at the price it actually sells at)
3 Likes

From the remainder, I’d have:

• Brass: Lancashire
  • Pax Pamir: Second Edition
  • The Crew: Mission Deep Sea
  • Twilight Struggle
  • Tzolk’in: The Mayan Calendar
  • 7 Wonders Duel
1 Like

Mine are:

• Pax Pamir: Second Edition
  • Mechs vs. Minions
  • The Crew: Mission Deep Sea
  • Dominant Species
  • Keyflower
  • Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization

Would be keen if we set up a format for a Tekelili draft. Perhaps without the destruction too.

3 Likes

I think the destruction element is somewhat unecessary.

2 Likes

Of the original 6 I’d easily go for Qunns and Neilan’s destroyed list. Food Chain Magnate is the game with the most legs for me. I could throw Azul and Concordia away and still be really happy with Race for the Galaxy and Gaia Project. Not that I’ve played Gaia but I really think Terra Mystica has legs so I presume Gaia would be fine for me too. If it had to be a choice of the non destroyed ones the maybe Ava and Kellen’s mainly for Spirit Island. The only one I’d throw out would be TI4.

Of the remaining ones I think I’d go for

• Teotihuacan

• Key Flower

• Lisboa

• Clans of Caledonia

• Star Wars Rebellion?

• On Mars?

Last 2 not excited about deeply but might as well. In general this feels a bit flat. I think any list for me without Food Chain Magnate would on this top 100 just would. Spirit Island I think is the only one that could make up the running for me.

3 Likes

You’d put SW Rebellion and On Mars over The Gallerist? Interesting.

2 Likes

I think the main trick is to break up the flow of drafting - so if we have players ABCD B shouldn’t always be picking after A, etc. The snake draft is one way of doing that, rotating first pick is another.

2 Likes