Async Beyond the Sun on BGA Recruitment

Very nice game. Shows that level 4 tech beats too many colonies. Was this one fewer rounds than the last one? I cannot tell from the statistics

1 Like

I donā€™t know, but Iā€™m sure transcendence + technology is a more viable double-achievement goal than empire + warlord.

Level 4 tech is doable in 8 turns (I assume 7 isnā€™t possible), after which I think I did all 2s in just 5 more turns.

I needed to do that to trigger the end, because tech totally ties up your population.

I think the first game went longer, because I remember I had enough turns for Empire and Transcendence. That looks just barely feasible in 13 turns too, but I donā€™t think I was so efficient.

1 Like

Going for warlord nearly took me down in the first game. It took me too many ships. My last planet in this game was a mistake. I should have gone for the other one it would have let me get 2 or 3 more points via ships.

I am really curious about other achievementsā€¦ need to check the tts mod what is available.

1 Like

If another game is happening, Iā€™d be interested in joining.

2 Likes

I would take a break for now. I love it but my brain needs a break from these specific thinky patterns for a bit.

2 Likes

I can go again. Beginning to suspect this is a little too Euro for me, but still not sure.

1 Like

What I appreciate is how the map and the tree come together as a single game.

Unlike my experience with Black Angel that seemed to fall apart into its minigames. (It currently resides elsewhere so I cannot get it out to see if I have evolved)

That last game flew by me. I thought if it was played well it would become more of a race. For the first time I found myself blocked out of action spots.

Iā€™m torn, really want to play again, but also trying to reduce my async commitments. I could play in a week.

1 Like

It seemed to me I really didnā€™t care about action blocking that game. There were always multiple ways to research, and I didnā€™t do anything else until one terraform at the end where I had 5 options at various costs.

I think youā€™re just better at it than I am

I did block you @Captbnut from one planet but that was less to block you as it was my best opportunity to colonize next and my ships were simply larger.

At the start I purposefully sent a ship to where @Benkyo had already put down a ship to block a bit but I have no idea if this affected you at all.

I got lucky that there were lots of colonization spots.

Also I had that one colonization tech almost exclusively for most of the later game. I admit my tree research was mostly to get new tech not in any specific location on the tree. I had hoped I could manage a level 4 tech this time but previous game taught me the importance of event bonusses.

I always looked out what @benkyo was doing and tried to consider that as an action for next round because I could be sure to get that action spot thanks to turn order.

I had an extremely precarious balance between people and ore and ships. And at least twice I couldnā€™t take an action I wanted because I didnā€™t have enough ore.

I feel like the achievements dictate that one should try for an overall strategy while the game at the same time requires tactical readjustments in many turns.

In my two handed solo obviously action spots were less tight and it becomes more of an optimization exercise which is something I enjoy but still the puzzle is a bit more interesting with more players on the board.

The people ore ships thing seems to be the crux of the optimization puzzle. I even used trade for the first time, decommissioning two ships. Thought I would need to use an action on mass cloning, but managed to avoid it. I think I only took one action in the game that didnā€™t research - the first one.

1 Like

I have cleared my list of BGA games to a reasonable level if anyone wants to play again/ for the first time

1 Like

I would be up for a another async round but make space if anyone new wants to join in. I know that @pillbox had some interest in trying this one.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in. My real-time game day (2 of 2) was killed by health issues, so Iā€™m looking for some more async gaming.

3 Likes

Whoā€™s in - got me and @Benkyo

@RogerBW @yashima @pillbox @Whistle_Pig @mr.ister ?

Anyone else?

1 Like

Iā€™m happy to lose terribly again!

2 Likes

Here :upside_down_face: if there are more than 4 interested I will happily make space as I have been able to play this ā€¦ kind of regularly.

2 Likes

Not just now, thanks, maybe in the future.

Iā€™m in

(flumpy flumpus)

1 Like