Anyone cravin' some Gloomhaven

Our group organiser has a gaming table where the game lives between sessions. It hasn’t been touched since our last game before lockdown, a bit like the Mary Celeste.

I think we’re just tracking the shop and event decks physically now. At some point there’s going to have to be a big effort to update the physical copy with the progress from the digital copy.

1 Like

That’s different then. I can play with my partner (as soon as temperatures go down) as this was always mostly just our duo-campaign, your friends were irregular guests (with a tendency to regular before covid hit) and now they have their own copy :wink:

I do think we’d still get together for the occasional 4 player session if not for the pandemic cutting short our boardgame time together like it did.

1 Like

So we’ve been playing for about two years now on a weekly basis. Finished the main campaign and a fair chunk of the side stuff. We’re two scenarios off finishing forgotten circles.

We just discovered one of our group doesn’t put the cards back in order when he retires a character. Apparently he didn’t know it was a thing. Everyone else in the group does and we didn’t have to have a discussion about it. Are we wrong to judge him harshly? (Oh boy did we judge him harshly)

2 Likes

What do you mean in order, the ability cards?

I assume put the ability card deck in order by card level, 1s, Xs, 2s, 3s, etc.

I honestly can’t remember if I did that when I retired my first (physical) character. I definitely haven’t done it with the two digital characters I’ve retired since :laughing:

3 Likes

@tomm_archer has it.

We all expected to be playing long enough to replay some of the characters, and have been this year.

The one I keep in order is the items cards when sold back, but I am not hundred percent sure if I have done with the ability cards. Good point! I will check tonight.

Which reminds me, on my last scenario I had to include 3 x -1 cards on my character combat decks, and I am not sure if I did remove them. Definitely removed the curses… :thinking:

We constantly get half way through a scenario, draw a curse, then try to work out if it should be in the deck or if it’s a leftover from last time.

1 Like

Yes, it is so easily forgotten.

I decided not to back Frosthaven because I was not sure how our gaming situation looks next year May or June when it should arrive.

I thought it is fine enough to pay more money from retail store but having the knowledge it won’t gather dust if I buy it.

2 Likes

Yeah… we switched to TTS during the lockdown phase of Covid and now we are back to the board game version and I just avoided doing all the transfer work again because it took me hours to set it up in TTS in the first place.

It wouldn’t take as long the way back but I am too lazy right now. So we have double road event and city events I guess but some of them I could remove from memory… ah I have to do it, don’t I?

Well our gaming sessions are on ice for the moment anyways because our friends are expecting a baby this week :hugs: so who cares? :smiley:

1 Like

One member of our group was on the shielding list until very recently so I don’t think we’re going to be rushing back to in-person Gloomhaven.

As much as I love Gloomhaven, I’m tentative to sign on for the commitment of Frosthaven, but that’s mainly 'cus it comes with a whole load of travel and late nights.

I’ve now lost 4 plays of scenario 18 Abandoned sewers. I’ve got a level 2 tinker and a level 3 cragheart. I keep getting as far as the final room before being murdered by oozes, or running out of cards. Any advice?

Edit: forgetting to add perks when my characters level up probably hasn’t been helping :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Lower the difficulty, get really lucky with the monster card draws, and save as many AOE attacks as possible? (Your milage may vary)

Mission specific advice Do you have to kill all the monsters in this one? Or are there some terrain bits with health you need to destrory? If it’s the latter try focus them as best as possible? If not, maybe some items with stuns?

In summary oozes are awful.

3 Likes

Yeah Oozes need a bit of luck. We had a scenario where they drew their multiply card 4 out of 5 turns. That was not fun.

3 Likes

We survived by using an infinite turn loop with one of the classes and waiting for the oozes to kill themselves, I believe. Not really the sort of thing you can do with most setups.

(And not an infinite turn loop that would be very productive in 99% of situations.)

2 Likes

Oozes have a degree of luck that can be really annoying. I’d say, your Tinkerer may be a bit too inexperienced. I think with oozes is really good to use wounding attacks (even if they double up, they do so at a lower HP starting level), and going in hard and quick at them, before they have many chances to split up. I remember having a good spear-like attack with my Tinkerer that could kill a few in a row, but I don’t know how many more options of scenarios you have to level up your characters…

1 Like

I currently have 10 other scenarios unlocked that I could be doing (4, 7, 9, 16, 19, 28, 31, 43, 66, 67). The main reason I keep doing 18 is because I have it set up on the table. And because I’m stubborn :grin:

2 Likes

I remember that one. We grabbed the chest in a last ditch effort before losing the first attempt with four players due to the prevalent monster problem and later we went back with just two and we got lucky in next to last room with the oozes standing in their own way and ending up killing themselves

This is hard because of both monsters and the map. We haven’t dared continue that thread as of now because we kind of expect more of the same.

1 Like