Anticipated games

They have definitely on a podcast… :thinking: And I seem to remember the review was favourable.

True.
I was about to post something, but I realized if I did then @COMaestro would get it for me as a gift, thus adding to our broad game collection under the guise of a gift.

It’s a long con.

9 Likes

Curses! Foiled again!

6 Likes

I’m so hyped for this! I think it’s a great mix of characters, and they’ve avoided any uber-powerful ones…though I do feel they’ll be weird exceptions to canon for Luke Cage, lol.

If they keep working with Disney, I’d love to see a similar thing done for Star Wars the following year. Maybe 3-4 boxes, one for each “era”? Plus, that would bring the system full circle! :grin:

1 Like

4 Likes

It’s at the end of the yesterday’s SUSD podcast and they absolutely loved it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You shouldn’t have said that thing you wisely hid. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yeah, but I believe that’s only when she’s off-panel. Which makes me wonder if something in her deck will play off of that idea.

That’s amazing!!!

To be fair, I know basically nothing about Squirrel Girl. My only experience with her as a character is the Lego Marvel Heroes game I played with my son, and while she was unlockable/playable, she wasn’t part of the main game.

She’s mostly been a joke character that’s popped up randomly over the years. Her entry in the official Marvel wiki has her power levels at maximum across the board because it’s based on who characters have defeated and she’s beaten people like Dr Doom (in her first appearance, where she swarmed him with squirrels) or Thanos (where she beat him off-panel, like @COMaestro mentioned).

The recent Unbeatable Squirrel Girl series is really good and plays on her reputation, where she defeats villains by outwitting them, or often talking them down/befriending them.

… Beats Up the Marvel Universe was a stand-alone graphic novel where her clone beat everyone up because she lacked Doreen’s moral compass and decided to get rid of all humans.

2 Likes

I’m HELPING

2 Likes

Squirrel Girl is the absolute greatest, and the only Funko pop that I own.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl comics are hilarious and wise, definitely worth looking at the first one to see if you’d like it.

4 Likes

I have the same figure :smiley: And a fair few others …

Dammit. Area majority, tech trees, SVWAG likes it!

2 Likes

I forgot to add:

• Transatlantic 2
  • Concordia Solitaria - I have very low interest on buying or playing this, but I’m keen on how it will be like
    And two games from Chudyk - not sure if there are his trademark “big game in a small card game” schtick, but we’ll see
  • Blood of the Northmen
  • Crash!

Made a watchlist here, but will still be posting here: Watchlist for 2021 | BoardGameGeek

6 Likes

What!? A solitaire expansion for Concordia (I’m assuming based on the name)!?

Concordia is one of my absolute favorite games and one my husband doesn’t really like and will only reluctantly play every once in a while because he knows I love it so much. I don’t play many games solitaire because the two of us play games together so much, but a really solid solitaire for this one would be a perfect thing for us to have!

6 Likes

Alright, finally going to do this! It’s going to be a long list though, lol.

I’m going to organize the games in various catagories because…it’s easier and I like ordered lists. Not ranked though, as I’m terrible at ranking things!

Most anticipated Games on my shelf of shame:

• Forbidden Stars - holds the title as the game that’s been unplayed on my shelf the longest (summer 2018). Hoping 2021 is the year I’m brave enough to attempt it!
  • Inis - not far behind FS for shelf time. Just always worried it would be to complex for my son previously, but I think he’d be good to learn it soon.
  • Rococo Deluxe - finally delivered last week and I’m extremely excited for it!
  • Rurik: Dawn of Kiev - fairly new acquisition. Had planned to grab everything from the recent KS, but found a copy for a good price, so snagged it.

Most anticipated existing games that will be new to me in 2021:

• Anachrony - delivering sometime soon, so possibly before the end of the year (but I’m doubtful). This is another one that I’m eager to play, but slightly scared of getting it to the table!
  • Honey Buzz - light worker placement, tile laying, economic game with an amazing production and quick playtime. I’m a little worried about some scoring elements at 2, but that seems to be more an issue in early games (based on some posts on BGG).
  • Lost Ruins of Arnak - this has been a recent darling of a lot of content creators/reviewers. It doesn’t appear to be the deepest or most novel game, but I really like a lot of what it’s doing, and it scales well by all accounts. I can see this being a hit with my son!
  • Dwellings of Eldervale - see above about Lost Ruins, or even more recent. All the same positive points apply, lol.
  • Judge Dredd: Helter Skelter (w/ Dark Judges)- I’ve had the base game on hold at Miniature Market since Black Friday 2019, and just ordered the Dark Judges this past Black Friday. We love Wildlands and happy to have more of it. The rules are just slightly different, so there are special rules for playing them together, but that’s the only issue. Very excited for this!

Most anticipated 2021 Retail release (I only know of one! Haha):

• Unmatched - whatever comes out for this, I’m hyped. Little Red vs Beowulf, Marvel, whatever it is I’m in!

Most anticipated KS games delivering in (hopefully) 2021:

• Oathsworn: Into the Deep wood - I’ve always been drawn to KDM, but between the cost and “busy work” I could never justify it (also I couldn’t play it with my son). Oathsworn has all the tactical combat, with just enough story (or no story if you go for various one-off modes). The card combat system looks really interesting.
  • Hour of Need - We live Altar Quest and Street Masters, so except for games with themes I dislike (Brook City, Buddy Cop), I’m likely all in on whatever the Sadler’s do with BlackList.
  • Merchants of the Dark Road - based on playthroughs and early feedback, this one sounds extremely fun, and Elf Creek productions may top Stonemaier!!

For good measure, most anticipated KS campaigns launching in 2021;

• Mythic Battles: Ragnarok - Pantheon is one of my favorite games, and I’ve been waiting for this since our first game. The only question is how deep I go, lol.
  • Primal: the Awakening - another boss battler clearly inspired by Monster Hunter. The card play sounds really solid, and the abstracted battle area looks to make setup much easier. My only concern is that I hope they put as much work into the one-off hunts system as they say they have, as I’m not looking for another campaign.
  • He-Man: Masters of the Universe - I don’t have a ton of nostalgia for He-Man, but I have some. The real appeal is a skirmish game done my Michael Shinall (Rum & Bones, Bloodborne, A Song of Ice and Fire miniatures game). R&B is fantastic and I’ve heard really good things about ASoIaF. Excited to see what this is.

So there we go. My most anticipated Games of 2021! :laughing:

12 Likes

Ok. I have more coops to add to my list of anticipated games now.

New Die Crew. I think many of us will be excited for that. I am.

Then this might be the year for Helionox Chronicles a reworking of Helionox starting from a solo/coop base rather than a competitive game with a coop mode. I like the setting and I like the simplicity of most of the deck building in the first one.

Not a coop but I’m excited for the Hanamikoji sequel. Eros Lin has designed some of my favourite games(including my favourite one) and I like Hanamikoji a lot. So colour me interested. Plus the variant action tiles for hanamikoji. They seem to be listed for only €3 on the one german store with a preorder so shouldn’t break the bank to try.

Having said I’ll try and only buy 3 new games those might be it. I’ll have to not include expansions as 18USA is up for preorder as an expansion to 1817 too :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’ve made a geeklist with what I am looking forward to this year :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Had a look at the latest preview list from BGG. Looks like not even the Good Doctor can resist the allure of Roll & Writes.

So there’s now the Lost Cities card game, board game, dice game, 4 player version of the card game, and now a roll & write.

EDIT: I forgot there’s even a Lost Cities: To Go

2 Likes