Anticipated games

This seems like a dangerous thread to follow…

9 Likes

Xia is getting a reprint finally. I will be receiving one. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I’m an evil, evil person.

6 Likes

I really ought to get Albia the Breaker of Wallets to come and visit here…

2 Likes

omg Xia when and where and who…?
Yes dangerous thread… definitely

3 Likes

Hansa Teutonica reprint here is by Pegasus… they print in Berlin afaik so it’s probably hot off the press… if you ever want to know dates for pegasus printed games their webshop has the most detailed status of any shop i know.

2 Likes

Being 4 months in to my no buys stint I’m still able to contribute. Some stuff is paid for a long time in advance eh.

Number 1 on the list is Cosmic Frogs! Those frog toys…

Quite excited for Testament I like a coop adventure thing. Should hopefully sit along side Street Masters and Too Many Bones in my collection.

Then there’s all my 18xx preorders and Kickstarters.

• 18NewEngland
  • 1822mx
  • 1861/67
  • 18DO
  • 18Ireland
  • 18West

This year getting 1889 played has been game changing. So I bought a bunch slightly in a panic about things we won’t discuss here and also feeling like I wanted to try many different titles to find out what I’m after from the genre. I think I might be mildly more pro-engineering games as things stand. We’ll see how that develops as I’ve played in my first one where people have done tons with the stock market so it was more interesting. Now just need next year to be game friendly and the people I’ve connected with to still be up for playing 18xx regularly.

3 Likes

This is bad for my heart. Mods, how can I delete a thread?

• 1848: Australia
  • 1849: Sicilian Railways
  • 1882: Assiniboia (totally keeping this one)
  • 18Chesapeake
  • 18Ireland
  • 18Mag - You can buy any train you want? No trains rusting? That’s nuts!
  • Rolling Stock Stars - not a train game but…

I’m so into 18xx this year. Not keeping all of them eventually, but want to try them.

• The Great Zimbabwe - preordered. Really enjoyed my plays of it online. 2 hour Splotter is also a big selling point for me.
  • Ginkgopolis - I sold my older French copy.
  • Fields of Arle
  • John Company 2nd edition
  • Chartae - a 2 player Knizia that remains unreleased in the UK
  • Dual Gauge
  • Coffee Traders
  • Yellow & Yangtze expansion
  • Family Inc - Knizia
  • Royal Visit reprint
  • 2 (or 3!?) expansion factions for Cthulhu Wars on retail
  • Carolus Magnus remake from Cranio Creations - didn’t backed their Maharaja. Might do the same if I didn’t like the design changes.
  • Summoner Wars 2.0 :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
4 Likes

Xiaaaaaaa, yesssss

2 Likes

I have precious little information about the reprint of Xia other than to say go take a peek over at BGG. Seems like they’re making “a lot” and they are imminent. I’ve gone in with my preferred OLGS who seem to be handling all preorders for Canada.

@EnterTheWyvern my direct feedback will be limited here, but Cosmic Frog is absolutely a full table game. It’s dire at 2P, might work at 3P in teams with the right group, and honestly I get the sense that 4P would really be pushing it. It’s a marvelous production and snap to teach and play, but I personally think it really needs 5-6 to be the game it wants to be. Just a little food for thought.

3 Likes

Oh wow. I’m glad to see H.T. getting that kind of attention right away. It’s one of my favourite games, and the reprint deserves to make a big splash. (Weird that BGG is saying 3-5 players when it was 2-5 from the beginning, and they greatly improved the 2 player rules a few years ago.)

I’ve been hanging out for a SUSD review for years. We already know that they really like the game, so I feel we’re finally going to get that video!

(The digital “let’s play” was a nice idea, and I’d intended to view the whole thing; but that computer user-interface for the exceptionally simple concept of “grabbing a bunch of cubes and putting them on the board” was sooooooo painful. I love the game, but I bailed out after about five minutes of that.)

3 Likes

Slightly seriously, if you go to the bottom under the main Reply button and click on the dropdown, you can set it to Muted.

Is there anyone here who’s played both this and Firefly? Because I have Firefly, and I love it, and I’m concerned that this might be a bit too similar…

5 Likes

I’m keenly awaiting an import copy of Quest for El Dorado (which hasn’t really seen a wide release in Australia still!) As well as Super Skill Pinball, which I had hoped to get this year but seems again pretty rare on the ground.

Longer term, I looking forward to a reprint of Ra next year. Hopefully it’s done well - but I’m sure I’m going to love getting my hands on it in any form!

3 Likes

only a few more left before you’ve got your very own coffee-maker chess set.

4 Likes

What is the queen?

2 Likes

Well, I have to say the queen would probably be the espresso machine… The most powerful and also capable of drawing the most attention to itself.

The king, however, would be the percolator. Percolator coffee is so good but very rigid in it’s use and preparation.

: likely, an unpopular opinion

3 Likes

Yes! My main game buddy & I are very excited for this.

2 Likes

Are either of you signed up for SW2.0 playtesting? I signed up but never had a chance to play a game (because of my aversion to playing games on the internet with rando’s)

No, I’m quite busy with other things and don’t like the pressure of playtesting. I always think it’s a great idea and then can never pull a group together in the specified time.

1 Like

So far, I’ve only gotten Xia out as a playset while reading through the rulebooks and watched a solo playthrough on Youtube. That said, I do think Xia is a unique experience and, in some ways, gives you more agency… but in many more ways, gives you less agency.

I think the mission system in Firefly is better than Xia, but Xia I think makes up for it with a randomly generated map that can create emergent strategy as the game evolves.

I also think the Xia solo mode is pretty bad and could probably use a story card system like Firefly has.

3 Likes