Anticipated games

Oh, just similar in that I came to the table for one game and over a few sessions found a very different game. The initial expectation and final reveal are not similar, sorry.

My first exposure to Pamir was someone making a top 50 list with Tigris at the top, Pax Pamir second, and Isle of Skye and Cyclades also in the top 10. Give the overlap in tastes I was turned onto it, and maybe came from a more T&E or Cyclades mindset on what I would find (a game of agency, strategy, and maneuvering). I’ve come to appreciate Pamir more as a game of momentum and opportunity, and the closest feeling to it is Innovation. And I love Innovation, but Pamir hasn’t grabbed me the same way yet.

I also don’t have much exposure to shared incentive games (though I’m hungry for more) so the model remains less familiar to me.

2 Likes

I remember that game of Oath! I had a plan until we lost!

6 Likes

Oh, definitely. Scythe looks like a fighty, stompy, mechs game, but is actually an optimisation puzzle. I generally warn people about that if they’ve never played before. I also warn people that you have to take on the leader in Root I’d you don’t want them to run away with it :+1:

2 Likes

I just heard about Shikoku 1889. I wants.

DId anyone back and get their copy? How does it look?

It’s currently available at allplay but for full MSRP + shipping, which is about 25% more than the kickstarter + shipping was. Maybe it’ll hit the secondary market soon? I’ve emailed them to ask if the retail version is identical to the ks version, given the price. The tile tray looks nice.

3 Likes

UK is slower to fulfil but should be happening soon. I think my second most played 18xx and the first one I played. TTS during the pandemic. I really rate it. Excited for my copy to arrive, especially after playing at Spill-o-rama last year on a deep thought copy.

Game play it’s very much a cut down 1830. It has a certain amount of subtle difference so it’s lasted in many collections with 1830. It plays a little quicker for technical reasons I won’t go in to just now. The map is good, all the companies have some use and it’s less scripted than 1830. It has the brutal markets style and risky investments which is fun.

I really like the look of what I’ve seen components and map wise with this new edition. Not heard any reports of any cock ups but haven’t really looked. His 1861/67 was a great physical product even if I moved the game on due to space reasons.

2 Likes

I pledged for it just to resell/trade so that I could get the 1861/1867 errata shipped along free. It went straight from my doorstep to my trade pile.

I already have 1830 and 18Chesapeake which all feel very similar. I also have the PnP files for 1889 if I was ever so inclined to own a copy.

I haven’t opened my copy but I followed the campaign. The artist for the project is the same BGG member that did one of the more attractive and popular (with some) PnP redraws. I suspect it is one one the best looking mass production 18xx games ever made.

1889 is loved by many because it does a bit to improve on the basic 1830 formula without going crazy – but it also contains a few really interesting pointy bits; e.g. you might get train locked in a losing situation and have to collude with another player to trigger a rusting event.

I’d fully recommend checking it out on 18xx.games

Also check out 18XX - where to start?

1 Like

Not changing the art!? Even by Splotter standards, Ur is ugly as sin. But I’m happy that it’s gonna be reprinted

EDIT: okay. Minor modifications. But still. I want a Bus-style reskin

5 Likes

It’s good to see they are taking steps to license games though.

I’m interested in the FCM deluxe edition

1 Like

I was going to skip Wave 6 because I have enough 18xx games (enough for 3 or 4 collections, really). But now I might have to bite on Ur because it’s such a big question mark.

2 Likes

I enjoyed the one game of Ur I played. It’s weird for an 18xx player because it’s close but also very different. Hopefully will get to play again :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

It’s also been approved for development into 18xx.games, but I don’t believe anyone is currently working on it.

3 Likes

Now this is the kind of Cube Rail train game that will get people’s attention :star_struck:

9 Likes

And the rest is another series by Leiji Matsumoto…

4 Likes

Do space trains run on hexagons?

5 Likes

Of course. Hexagons are the Bestagons

8 Likes

Then I am sold.

Just nobody tell the trains that hexagons don’t tesselate in space like they do in a plane.

5 Likes

I reckon that the space shuttle is a plane, though. Explain that! That’s right, you can’t. Maths, schmaths!

4 Likes

Don’t they become dodecahedrons?

Or in lay terms, a D12?

1 Like

Rhombic dodecahedrons, yes.

But rhombic dodecahedrons do not hexagons make.

1 Like

But they are made of hexagons…