Actual things you actually said (or heard) in the last 24 hours

This past weekend was the alumni gathering for my old boarding school. They recently started a “J Term” elective in January as a non-graded course to break the oppressive monotony of a New England winter. I broached the topic of war games to the chairman of the board of trustees and, to my shock and surprise, he said, “That sounds great! Write a proposal and I’ll do my best to see that you get to teach it.” Wait…WHAT?! :smile:

Of course I’m going to do it, but I’m not confident in my abilities!

14 Likes

“I need three extra inches!”

(A rather short lady peering over her music stand on stage at the Grand Northern Ukulele Festival)

8 Likes

“I always sign off my emails with ‘cheers’. If I say ‘regards’ then I’m irritated. If I say ‘kind regards’ then you’ve really %^#@ed me off.”

8 Likes

8 Likes

“Without prejudice,”

(In a legal-technical sense, “this is part of our negotiations over a settlement, not a concession that I was actually in the wrong about whatever it is”.)

8 Likes

The rubber stamp for check endorsement my bank gave me in the previous millenium had verbiage that said “accepted under protest, without prejudice, and with all rights preserved. “.
In some places, accepting a check that says “full payment “ or similar things can be an acceptance of that language. I had a client who took forever to pay, and always underpaid 2%, which is the discount I was offering for payment on receipt of invoice. They did pay, and paid rates higher than most clients did (because I told them to shove it, after the second time y wanted repeat work w/o having paid a bill. My contact sighed, blamed the payable department, and told me to raise my rates.). Their checks said ‘full payment on PO xxx”, which it wasn’t, they owed me 2%. I was moaning about them to my relationship banker, who’d called me up while I was writing invoices, and the rubber stamp showed up in nail a few days later.

11 Likes

This is amazing. Turns out I’m good with a chaotic bent, I shift from neutral to chaos depending on context.

5 Likes

Where does “hope to see you rot in hell,” fit in?

7 Likes

On a tangent to that…

9 Likes

why am I chaotic evil?

4 Likes

I don’t know, but self-awareness is the first step to becoming a better person!

3 Likes

I don’t know…I think “Sent from my iPhone/Android” would be somewhere in the Evil category.

That said, I appear to be Lawful Neutral.

3 Likes

The temptation to now end my emails:
"Blah blah blah stuff. Thanks for reading all that nonsense.

No sign-off,
Marc"

2 Likes

I think I will start ending mine with “Sent from my iPhone”.

I don’t have an iPhone. I feel that is actually in line with a chaotic neutral alignment.

7 Likes

I’m typically a “Cheers!”-er, but at work I’m a anti-disingenuous “Thank you,”-er. Most people I work with have “Thank you,” in their automatic “signature”.

But I type “Thanks!” or “Thank you,” or some other variation for each message I send.

2 Likes

“Sent from my butterfly”

(classic xkcd)

6 Likes

Depends on who I am sending the email too! Work ones tend to be ‘Many Thanks’ or ‘All the best’ if I’ve already said thanks in the email too much…

With friends it could be anything.

I do respond to a lot of emails from my phone when I’ve 5 mins spare so I guess it would probably be Chaotic Neutral for that.

1 Like

Work email? I am not sure we have that. I’m joking, I check it at least twice a month, sometimes even weekly. (We have email? Is a running joke among several of my cow orkers, including the tech lead on the email integration team.). I just looked in my sent mail folder. In the last two years (retention limit), I have sent a few thousand emails. Filtering out the calendar response messages, which are not really from me, or ever read by ad human, I have sent seven emails. Two to services to verify the address, one to a hotel to ask for a receipt, two about my corporate credit card, and two to my wife.

3 Likes

???

4 Likes

Like I said, it’s mostly “Best” or “Cheers” for daily mail but when things get interesting I can sign off with “Snuggles”, “Copious High Fives”, or even “Buckle up,”

5 Likes