Which way do you go?

Tom Scott has put up a new video of him playing No Thanks with some other YouTube people and I’ve noticed that, like in his previous video where they played Skull, they’re passing everything anti-clockwise.

So, it made me wonder, is this the standard way for anyone else? Other than games where it changes/turn order is determined some other way, what direction do you go in?

3 Likes

Usually I naturally go clockwise, unless I’ve recently played a lot of Mah-jongg and my brain has become configured to expect an anti-clockwise direction of play.

1 Like

It’s just that Matt Parker is Australian. Tom wanted to be a good host.

4 Likes

Yeah, canonical play direction for me (England) is clockwise viewed from above.

2 Likes

Clockwise every time. I get easily confused in games that invert turn direction.

2 Likes

Always clockwise, except after that one game that made us play anti-clockwise (important to mechanisms in the game where things got passed in specific directions)… We as a group struggled to switch back to clockwise for the next 3 gaming sessions.

It is now an inside joke to claim to play clockwise while proceeding anti-clockwise.

1 Like

we go either: vertically down (Boardgame arena)
or
Both ways simultaneously (2 player).

I’m not sure what the correct way is really. So few games have fixed orders now I think - probably clockwise for our last game of anomia at the pub.

1 Like

That video was good fun. Especially the first seven minutes, during which someone’s profession proves to be an appalling disadvantage : )

1 Like

Clockwise, unless nobody noticed and we went the wrong way.

And then you have games that mess your turn order up. Like Brass or 18XX games (City of Big Shoulders included). And there is always a bit of a surprise now and then: “Oh! Is it my turn??”. But it is easier than moving people from where they were seated initially, I guess…

1 Like

This is what makes 2 player games so appealing!

We always go clockwise, barring games with rules where the turn order changes (Inis, TI4 (for the one-half time we played it), Imperial Assault, etc.).

1 Like

Clockwise–even though I am lefthanded and sometimes get mixed up.

1 Like

I default to counterclockwise, but most of the Canadians I play with or talk about games with at the store all seem to go clockwise.

1 Like

I go clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and counter-clockwise in the Southern.

6 Likes

In Switzerland you go usually counterclockwise, or as the saying goes “the way you slap someone” however, since our group are full of expats we go clockwise.
Besides, I think many rulebooks say that the player on left is the next player.

3 Likes

I have so many questions.

6 Likes

I had to check my work, for some reason, and see that hurricanes actually go the opposite of what I said. This will set me up for better coriolis jokes in the future, though.

5 Likes

I’m sure you could wrap in something about high-pressure gaming if you want to maintain the meteorological correctness of your original joke :wink:

3 Likes

Heh. VictorViper made the same joke and had caused me to do similar research : )

IIUC you would need a specially-prepared gaming group in order for the Coriolis effect to influence the direction of play.

1 Like