Where Should We Get Together, Anyway?

South Bend (current “C”) is actually the site of Notre Dame and I have an uncle there who teaches in the Engineering Department. Could probably hook us up with facilities.

At the same time, realistically, I wouldn’t be able to do this any time in the next 5-10 years anyway unless it’s just me, @BrattyJedi, and @InkyBloc meeting somewhere in New Jersey. Or @Marx in Pittsburgh.

1 Like

That’s true - around here it’s more of a “choose the closest Hub airport” as opposed to land distance. I think that’s Salt Lake, Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit if you stick to the middle of the country?

Yeah, unless it’s a matter of “Literally an hour or less from my house,” I’m not realistically going to be able to make it for a few years yet.

3 Likes

A monthly synchronous session though… Discord group with rooms that can coordinate individually on BGA or TTS, fixed time, open invite. I can see that happening.

4 Likes

South bend is my home town. I vote for somewhere else.

4 Likes

The Atlantic might be an issue for most busses. :stuck_out_tongue:

Then again, Ottawa DOES have amphibious busses for tourist things and such… Hmmm…

3 Likes

I’m in Colorado Springs, CO… does that help? It’s pretty far east for me, having grown up in OR/WA :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t bother, still the stats are going to make it more than half a planet away…

If you want to have fun, Roger, include Hastings, Hawke’s Bay, NZ for a laugh

Oh, and Osaka. And I believe Phil is in Christchurch??

2 Likes

Anyone on the Moon to make it even more interesting? Maybe the ISS?

3 Likes

I’d be interested to see what Roger’s algorithm comes up with when all the antipodeans and Osaka gets added and the forum as a whole is done. In the initial discussion I eyeballed it at around Chad and would be interested to find if any of the results match that estimate at all. Presumably the clustering around the UK as a small island could cause some results that are quite swingy on the mean vs median vs whatever calculations.

2 Likes

For a worldwide calculation I really need to arrange things differently - convert each point into (x, y, z) space, construct centroids in three dimensions, and then project those in/out until they reach the surface of the Earth.

4 Likes

Bermuda’s nice.

3 Likes

You could add me in Kelowna, BC to pull it west again

3 Likes

3 Likes

Birmingham sounds good to me!

And I’m in Des Moines, Iowa.

5 Likes

I did the world position maths in my brain and the middle location turned out to be Cardiff.

9 Likes

If one of the Cardiff people wants to organise an event, I’ll go.

2 Likes

I don’t have the time to organise this now, but you’ve got me thinking.

If we’re all still here next year then remind me

4 Likes