Where on Earth are you!? Show us the sights from your part of the world

That is amazing! I’d mention a few of my favorites… but It’s a Family Show Site!

2 Likes

Is that -kaber, -chaber, -saber, -kyeber, -chyeber, -syeber, or something else I haven’t thought of?

1 Like

This is a fun game! Here’s my guess! :wink:

1 Like

I’m not sure how to write it phonetically

khy-ber like the crystals you need to make a lightsaber

How about phlegmetically?

3 Likes

So, the Thames River runs along Isleworth and Richmond, and this one is upstream in West London, so it doesn’t look like a sewer passage yet.

This one is Richmond Bridge.

And these two from the function room upstairs in a pub in Isleworth where we do our games night. During the Summer like this, we would have more daylight.

8 Likes

Dang, (not that anybody will believe me) but I actually meant to guess -kyeber but clicked the wrong one in my haste.

I don’t know a lot about Welsh (I occassionally practice the Ll sound because at some point I’m going to have to teach Snowdonia) but I briefly studied Irish.

2 Likes

Is that initial sound like a Scots or German ch or a Spanish j?

1 Like

Welsh is ok once you know the phonetics. Gaelic is impenetrable. I still get laughed at occasionally with place names. Beddau is one that springs to mind.

Then again, I can’t imagine what learning English must be like as a non speaker

1 Like

Ah yes. Staines and Shepherd’s Bush. I’m familiar with those :laughing:

3 Likes

You must love it when England are at Twickenham if that’s your local. Looks beautiful

Ah no. I hate it when there’s a match in Twick. Drunk tossers littering the place, traffic, crowds, etc

Army V Navy matches are the worst.

4 Likes

I’ve read a book on statistical patterns of sound usage in human languages, with an appendix giving the phonetics of over 400 languages. Nearly all the European languages had generally similar systems, with a few different sounds—the voiced and voiceless th of English, the nasal vowels of French or Portuguese, the rounded front vowels of German, and so on. Then there was Gaelic, whose sound system was radically different and seemingly impossible to represent with the Roman alphabet.

3 Likes

I’m comfortable mentioning Wetwang as it’s been deemed fit for ecclesiastical functions:

5 Likes

It’s time for Wangernumb, let’s rotate the board!

3 Likes

Go on, I’ll add one. Near Manchester, UK there’s Cholmondeley…

Pronounced Chum-lee

1 Like

Like Mr Cholmondley-Warner

DkZfS_iWsAA6cBn

3 Likes

That’s the one, I used to work in Clipstone, north of Mansfield. I remember seeing the signs…

Much easier than Welsh, believe me…

It’s also okay to talk about Rotwang if you’re a film historian.

1 Like