Where on Earth are you!? Show us the sights from your part of the world

Sounds very plausible, specially the guided rocket story one. Boludos! :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Any excuse to post a link to that terrifying helmet they have at the Armouries:

6 Likes

< redacted >

5 Likes

Has it changed a lot since the '50s?

2 Likes

This is in the part of town where I grew up: Durlach (soft D, a long u like “oo”, swallow the r and, short open “a” then the “ch” pronounced like the Scottish “loch”). ITAP of the old Pfaff sewing machine factory which has been transformed into offices for a number of tech companies.

My parents’ home is about 2km behind me on a hill overlooking all of Karlsruhe. I’ll post a picture of that view when I find the one I am looking for.

And here are some pics I just took of my immediate surroundings. The next brewery (awful beer though–no one in town knows how they survive) is 500m down the street in one direction, a really great gelateria is 200m in the other.

8 Likes

I live in the quaint town of Milford, New Hampshire (pop. about 15,000). Here’s a view of the Souhegan River as it runs past the old textile mill buildings “downtown”.

The center of town is dominated by the “Oval”; a small park and quasi-traffic rotary (or roundabout if you prefer) that has a stereotypical bandstand at one end. Despite its name, the central island is triangular in shape; more of a tri-oval in NASCAR parlance. It hosts the annual Pumpkin Festival seen in progress here:

And here again at night:

NB: Off in the distance you can see Pack Monadnock Mtn. (left), and Mount Monadnock (right). Mount Monadnock has the distinction of being the second most climbed mountain on Earth behind Mount Fuji.

8 Likes

I forgot to add a picture I once took that perfectly encapsulates small town New England: the combination District Court and pizza joint!

(Yes, the same building! :laughing:)

9 Likes

When I lived in San Diego, on the way out to games in Santee, one of its suburbs, we used to drive past an establishment whose sign read “Pizza * Fish * Live Bait”.

6 Likes

Pictures from our loft

From the front. We live right at the East edge of Cardiff so the hills are probably the Malverns (geography not my strong suit!)

From the back

Zoomed in. That’s the Severn Estuary/ Bristol Channel and we can see England.

6 Likes

Just to add, the Space X is going to fly right over that bit of sea at 935ish BST tonight.

5 Likes

Got your net on a long pole, I trust?

5 Likes

I know Milford! (as the global headquarters of Waters, a mass spectrometry instrument company)

1 Like

Ah, they’re in Milford Massachusetts, which is near the Rhode Island border. Still, no place in New England is all that far from any other; Milford, NH and Milford, MA are only about 60 miles apart. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m surprised there’s only one in each state.

1 Like

Twenty years ago I visited an old friend in Amherst for her fiftieth birthday. She picked me up at the New Haven airport, and while I was there we passed through New Hampshire and visited Maine.

1 Like

I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
It’s lockdown. So I think I shall share very local pictures.

11 Likes

It might seem strange to see a name like Milford pop up commonly; but back in the days before running electricity and water-grids, natural rivers and creeks were required for a town/village of basically any size; and when a mill would set up their water wheel I’m sure it naturally coincided with a part of the river that had a natural form to create a rapids (where you would place the wheel) and then immediately followed by a broader section… where you might establish a ford.

The name “Millcreek” is exceedingly common around here; I think every county in the surrounding areas has a creek called “Millcreek”… because… it was the creek… where the mill was built.

It’s so pervasive, that my partner (before leaving her job to stay home with our children) worked at two different elementary schools called Mill Creek (and also two different elementary schools called Sunflower; this is the Sunflower State, after all - in all, she worked at a total of 5 different schools sharing a total of 3 different names)

6 Likes

It’s funny you say that, when I lived in the UK I saw mainly loads of Eastons, Westons and Nortons, but hardly anything relating to the South with that end. South is nearly always with End of Hampton…

1 Like

Although I think the most commonly repeated name in UK is Newport…

1 Like

Southwark.