Where on Earth are you!? Show us the sights from your part of the world

“Don’t worry, we’ve called the ambulances for 9.15.”

6 Likes

I have run in Halifax! It is hilly AF, as the kids would say.

Beautiful, though. And lots of really, really lovely tracks through parks or along the waterfront or both. And a fort at the top of a hill that, if you plan for it at the very end, feels like you’re storming the Bastille.

2 Likes

I suspect we’re talking about different Halifaxes! It doesn’t surprise me that Halifax, Canada is also very hilly though

3 Likes

… I legit didn’t know there were other Halifaxes (Halifaxi?)… and today I learnt that there are 13 others aside from the one I know.

Huh. Who’d thunk.

Which one are you at?

2 Likes

We were visiting a friend in Halifax, West Yorkshire. The only other one I knew about was the one in Nova Scotia, unfortunately because of the 1917 explosion.

3 Likes

But are they all hilly? That’s the real question!

4 Likes

Slightly rude image, but my partner just posted this real genuine respectable antiques shop window from St Leonards (south coast England, next to Hastings) :

8 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome, and makes me wonder if someone got fired shortly after setting up the display. :smiley:

4 Likes

If it helps, there are 30 Cordobas in the Americas. There was an expedition in the 90s filmed that went from Spain in Land Rovers (very much like an Enduro thing) to visit them all, and it was quite the achievement. I believe it had something to do with the Columbus 500th anniversary or similar.

3 Likes

Found an excellent wall hanging called ‘The Battle for the Hoe’ in Plymouth Market today by a local artist (James Fletcher), and had to have it.

Also found an antiques shop in a quiet corner of the Barbican which had some unexpected items including…

A signed Salvador Dali lithograph.

A letter of condolence from the New York State Assembly to Robert Falcon Scott’s grieving widow.

A wig worn by and made from the hair of Audrey Hepburn.

And, of course…

The orginal piece of art which was used as the movie poster for The best little whorehouse in Texas.

Or so the plaque said. It doesn’t look like the posters I’ve found since….

Still, a shop to rival the one we found in Salem which sold ukulele sheet music, cars, and human brain tissue.

15 Likes

That looks like a normal Saturday night in Plymouth to me!

5 Likes

There’s usually fewer tentacles.

5 Likes

Something quite amazing happened on the hills south of Hastings where I live. We had Southern Lights!

I was driving South to go to a friend’s house for our campaign of ISS Vanguard, and the sun had just set, so I thought it was just the dying light reflected on some low clouds. When I was at my friend’s place, it was all over the media, so I am sort of kicking myself for not realising what it was. On the other hand, we are on the Antipodes of central Spain, so I was not expecting them.

And funny enough, as I was starting to type this, we’ve just had a good shake of 5.4 that made my office chair sway a bit around. Gotta love this country.

22 Likes

Found the mole from the tourism board.

3 Likes

Wow, those skies are incredible

1 Like

There’s a rather lost and confused cop car parked in front of my hotel.

(Claims to be from Memphis county Tennessee, which doesn’t exist, and sheriffs don’t often have highway patrols)

7 Likes

Did he say he was on a mission from God?

5 Likes

How many cigarettes did they have?

4 Likes

It is a valid UK plate, though Q is generally “we don’t have reliable information about this vehicle”.

2 Likes

Q normally means a kit car or something similar.

2 Likes