What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?

I met a vegetarian who said she was the love of my life, but I’d never met herbivore.

5 Likes

Due to some personal difficulties I’ve been having, I’ve decided to start saying “Aye!” and “Arrr!” instead of yes and no. I politely request that you all respect my piracy at this time.

10 Likes

I have to put my favourite pirate silly joke now.

• Why are pirates called pirates?
  • Because they Arrrrrrr!!
8 Likes

Warum können Seeräuber nicht im Kreis fahren?
Weil sie Pi raten!

(Why can sea robbers not go in circles? Because they are guessing Pi… raten = guessing and Piraten=plural of Pirat. Yeah I know fun gets lost in translation but anyhoo…)

10 Likes

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster watch over you and your accent during your difficulties.

6 Likes

Late response and I don’t have a favourite sketch to send you, sorry.
Baroness von Sketch
Also I don’t know if the CBC Gem service works outside of Canada.
Here is a link to one skit on YouTube

2 Likes

Not too long ago, I went through and watched a portion of Mitchell & Webb’s output (Peep Show, The Mitchell and Web Situation, That Mitchell and Webb Look). I failed to mention this anywhere else for roughly two reasons:

A) I’m not sure it warrants discussion
2) there is no second reason

That said, Robert Webb’s Sir Digby Chicken Caesar character reminds me of various throw-away characters that Quinns has put into his videos.

3 Likes

I know it is very non-PC, but I used to love the extreme on Little Britain… I don’t know how well it has aged, though.

2 Likes

Some of it very badly, to the point Lucas has publicly apologised.

Other bits, seem strangely contemporary.

3 Likes

My partner used to regularly start that one with “Why do they call pirates ‘pirates’?” and then immediately realise that it had already gone wrong : )

4 Likes

I think my favourite Big Train sketch is probably the Cake Department:

(You may need to pause that immediately to unmute it, before continuing. Starts at 3:06.)

1 Like

With all due respect to the British and your bonkers monetary system:

There are 20 shillings in a pound.
There are 14 pounds in a stone.
There are 83 stones in Stonehenge.

Therefore there are 23,240 shillings in Stonehenge.

7 Likes

With all due respect is a great phrase.

4 Likes

Because it means absolutely no respect whatsoever… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

To me it implies the exact oppo… well @Griffster77 said it already :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Rather like ‘I take full responsibility’ as if saying that makes it so.

4 Likes

1 Like

In David Frye’s Richard Nixon: A Fantasy this is formatted as:

I accept the responsibility but not the blame. Let me explain the difference. Those who are to blame lose their jobs. Those who are responsible do not.

6 Likes

“With all due respect” needn’t mean “no respect”. It might do, though : ) It means merely that you have whatever amount of respect you deem to be appropriate. That might be any amount at all, and it’s entirely subjective and hence open to variable interpretation by both sides. A great phrase indeed!

2 Likes

The respect that is due. Which is always subjective. Clear as glass (or mud, it depends) :slight_smile:

1 Like