What are you watching?

Finished Boba Fett. Not enjoyed it that much tbh

2 Likes

One of our cats does the same, except with a hair scrunchie. She will carry it around in her mouth and occasionally leave it in the food dish.

2 Likes

Mine loves pipe cleaners for that.

2 Likes

Friday we went out to see the new Doctor Strange movie, but then realized our tickets were for Saturday evening. Still wanting to be out of the house, we went to see Everything, Everywhere, All at Once instead. It was really good! Weird, but good. Definitely recommend it!

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was good too, but Everything, Everywhere was even better.

4 Likes

I want to see both, but I just canā€™t build up the momentum to get my wife and me to a theater.

4 Likes

My wife is extremely angry about Doctor Strange.

2 Likes

I saw Dr Strange yesterday, liked it

And Bruce is in it!

Also cool to see Sam Raimiā€™s car

2 Likes

Itā€™s the way he says ā€œpenguinsā€ isnā€™t it?

3 Likes

Iā€™m just reading ā€œHail to the Chinā€ where Bruce talks about cameos in Spider-Man movies, and the car :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Been watching Outer Range on Amazon prime. I think itā€™s in some folks hereā€™s wheelhouse.

I can confirm that there are actual houses in the Midwest that look like the inside of the Tillerson ranch house and it is not even one standard deviation outside of what is out there.

1 Like

Itā€™s next on our list (after being recommended by my wifeā€™s friend who also recommended The Witcher) right after we finish the last episodes of Ozark.

1 Like

The last time I tried to go the screening was sold out, but I got to it last night, and oh yes itā€™s an excellent time. Also totally bonkers. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

2 Likes

Today I went to The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent which is similarly wonderful and recommended. Bless you, Nic Cage.

My local film society restarted very recently, so tomorrow Iā€™m seeing A Fantastic Woman (which I also saw at a festival in 2017, and it deserves a repeat viewing).

The first of the resumed screenings was Andrey Zvyagintsevā€™s Leviathan which Iā€™d been wanting to see ever since being stunned by his film Loveless a few years later, so I was very happy that it didnā€™t end up being bumped from the programme (even if, in the end, Leviathan didnā€™t have quite the same effect on me as the later film). Iā€™m hoping that at some point Iā€™ll get a chance to see his earlier films.

1 Like

I finished watching the first season of Altered Carbon.

Having read the bookā€¦ honestly, Iā€™m impressed. There were a few changes I remember (I read the book years ago), and sure, the nudity and violence are both over-the-top, but it was a pretty dang faithful translation.

I have now seen the first episode of season 2ā€¦ I am pleasantly surprised that Iā€™m still engaged, despite not knowing anything about the story moving forward. I doubt I will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed season 1, and I think I read somewhere that it wasnā€™t picked up to finish the story, but thatā€™s okay. I am enjoying it right now.

1 Like

I must admit after 2 or 3 episodes it was not really grabbing me. I probably was not in the right frame of mind when watching it, I need to give it another go, but thereā€™s so much to watch and so little timeā€¦

After finally figuring out a solution for a problem with a malfunctioning inherited home theatre system, Iā€™ve taken a day off work and treated myself to a mini film festival, which ended up having a psychedelic horror theme ā€“ starting with Nicolas Pesceā€™s Piercing, followed (with no real connection) by Peter Stricklandā€™s Berberian Sound Studio, then (by way of the giallo tie-in) Luca Guadagninoā€™s Suspiria (2018), and finally (via dance) to Gaspar Noeā€™s Climax (which Iā€™m about to go and watch : )

With Covid having spoiled real film festivals for so long, itā€™s been an excellent day.

4 Likes

I watched Free Guy and am full of regret. Itā€™s aping a style of video game Iā€™ve never played (or even wanted to play), and all of the tech stuff was annoying nonsense for me, and I think that covers at least 85% of the film. Not for me.

3 Likes

Watched Bill yesterday evening, a 2015 film from the Horrible Histories troupe.

Very enjoyable overall, really working hard to make the most of its budget (which I estimate to be at least several tens of pounds) and with some wonderfully sly jokes about Kit Marlowe and Sir Francis Walsingham. The single funniest line was, of course, a bum joke.

7 Likes

I do love that even on the poster they are playing multiple roles.

3 Likes

Last night we watched the Chip and Dalesā€™s Rescue Rangers movie that just came out on Disney+. I had only seen a few screenshots, seeing the odd mix between classically animated Chip and CGI Dale, so really had no idea what to expect.

It was a hilarious love letter to your inner child of the 80ā€™s, if you happened to grow up in that time frame. So many references to things you likely watched. It is done in the style of Who Framed Roger Rabbit (and honestly could be considered a continuation), with humans and toons living together in the real world, and Rescue Rangers was just a television show the titular characters were in. Years later, the duo are estranged from each other, but are reunited while trying to help out a friend.

It may not be for everyone, but it certainly was for us!

4 Likes