What are you watching?

Have you seen Logan Lucky? That’s a fun heist film.

The Curse is a decent heist series on UK Channel 4 that I’m enjoying but my wife hates

2 Likes

Dipped into Moon Knight, starring that chap I had to Google (it turned out he’d been in the last triplet of Star Wars films and I didn’t realise, which gives you an idea of the lasting impact those movies had on me), and Not Kevin Bacon.

A couple of episodes still to come and it’s starting to warm up. Too much of it is creaky old seen-it-all-before stuff as they try to establish a character who’s pretty tricky to depict onscreen, interspersed with some nice stunts and action sequences which initially, cheekily, miss the action because Our Hero seems to be blacking out and missing what happens.

Lots of surface-level characters drifting through—and I think the accent coach on this series was probably Russell Crowe—but it tries very hard not to trivialise mental illness or stereotype the Egyptian characters too badly… How worthwhile the show proves to be is going to be entirely down to the ending, though.

3 Likes

The only reason I watched Red Notice is because my wife is a huge Ryan Reynolds fan.

I commented to my wife that I’m so glad the hidden tomb of Cleopatra in the Great Pyramid was a lie, because that .was utter bullshit.

1 Like

The new blade runner movie was surprisingly good.

4 Likes

I thought it was either too long, or should have been a six or seven hour series.

2 Likes

I think if you love Blade Runner, you will like the new one. Definitely a bit too niche (non-fans are definitely not going to like it). But is very enjoyable, I watched it again when it came out on Netflix and still really liked it.

After a conversation with colleagues at work, I heard that 8 Mile was also leaving Netflix here in NZ soon, so I watched it last night. Surprisingly good, if grim at times. Besides Kim Basinger, I had no idea of who else was in the movie, and I was surprised to recognize a fair few faces. The one that had me puzzled three quarters of the movie was his mate, the presenter (sorry, cannot recall the name) with the rattails. On the last 20 mins of so of the movie it clicked, the surgeon from New Amsterdam(!).

I have to give credit to Eminem that before him, I used to not be into rap at all, but between him and Tom Morello and Zach de la Rocha with Rage Against the machine I overcame that phase in the late 90s. So even though is not my favourite music genre by far, I was able to appreciate it better in the movie now, after a few years. So I am glad I waited.

1 Like

Blade Runner 2049 is really good, but it desperately wants a big screen – I never picked it up on disc for that reason, and I think it would lose so much on the small screen. If you have a projector, definitely use it.

5 Likes

I am not watching any of the things that Customs are holding because the supplier sent every item individually and yet marked each parcel with the value of the grand sum total of the entire order, such that the apparent total value of my parcels was multiplied so much that it exceeded the threshold at which fees are charged for importing goods, and a Customs client account is required. I had to waste a painful amount of time trying to find out what was going on and why. I think I’ve now managed to demonstrate that the parcels are not worth anything like the value they had believed, so hopefully they’ll be passed along sometime soon…

5 Likes

Over the week-end, because my head was not up for games of the cardboard kind, we watched Episode 4 to 6 for the first time since… I don’t know… a while. I admit I had forgotten how many of the best lines of the prequels originated here. This is still the best Star Wars there is, never mind the “plan” they have to free Han is worse than any plans the Cylons never made. No roleplaying group would have got away with that ever, not even with the GM sleeping.

8 Likes

It sounds a lot like RPG plans I’ve met, to be fair. “So we get ourselves into the fortress, and then… play it by ear?”

9 Likes

I did find myself saying in a recent RPG session, ‘That’s the worst plan I’ve ever heard. And I’ve heard all our other plans.’

11 Likes

Yep. No plan works once the number stones start screwing you over anyway!

When playing the FFG Star Wars game, we talked ourselves into an Imperial Facility anD TOTALLY forgot what we went there for. The GM refused to help us so we just wondered about poking in rooms to see what was interesting!

5 Likes

On my like 100th rewatch of Band of Brothers. Love this show. Ill probably watch The Pacific afterwards but its nowhere near as good

2 Likes

Af first the Germans didn’t shoot at him…

I never watched more than first episode or so of the Pacific, just had no interest in it.

One thing that struck me about Band of Brothers, not when I first saw it, but later, is how much the actors look like that actual people. there are some pictures of Easy Company in Holland, and the likenesses are striking.

3 Likes

Yeah they show them side by side at the end. Lipton and Garnier are particularly like their actors I think

1 Like

Spent the week looking after my grandparents while mum was away. I also got through a bunch of tv series and movies:

Marvel’s Defenders, this was fine - I’ve only watched Daredevil of the previous series and… yeah not in a huge hurry to change that, as Matt Cox was clearly the best thing about the show. So yeah, not bad, not amazing.

Our Flag Means Death, Taika Waititi was the initial draw here, though Rhys Darby is also excellent. A wonderfully camp and queer take on pirates. Funny but also quite sweet and charming. Very much hoping for a season 2.

Death on the Nile, this was okay. Most of the criticisms seem to have been of how it measures up to other adaptations, but having not seen them - I enjoyed it well enough. Kenneth Branagh is quite watchable as Poirot at the least.

Nomadland, wow what a beautiful and melancholy film this was! Totally get the Oscar nods now (though it not winning best cinematography was criminal!) Real good.

Coco, another older film I finally got around to seeing. Took some twists and turns - it’s an interesting counterpoint to their more recent Turning Red. Two different looks at family and the complexity of navigating that big part of who we are. I wouldn’t say one is wrong and the other right, just that they tackle the topic in different ways and from different perspectives. I enjoyed both much the same, for what it’s worth.

4 Likes

Actually, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, at least the first seasons, are both quite good. I have not yet seen the later seasons to attest to their quality. Defenders (and Iron Fist) was mediocre in comparison. S2 of Daredevil is a mix of fantastic and…not…

2 Likes

My opinions:

Jessica Jones season 1 is daaaark, one of the most unflinching shows in a long time. S2 isn’t exactly jolly, but it’s less stressful. Very good tv.

Luke Cage is great, and just about every villain is a huge name actor now. (I mean, Mahershala Ali and Alfre Woodard in the same scenes? Damn).

Iron Fist S1 has some amazing supporting actors but is just quite bad overall (it’s important to remember that the main character being a spoilt entitled douchebag is a plot point ), but season two is much better bordering on brilliant.

5 Likes

I’m watching my cat having the best time with a toy mouse with zero intervention needed from myself – he’s rolling around with it, then picking it up and flinging it away so he can chase it (or sneak around and pounce on it), and then roll around with it some more. It’s been going on for ages : )

7 Likes