What are you spinning?

I live to serve, my dude.

2 Likes

ME right now: :face_with_raised_eyebrow::laughing:

1 Like

I also love Faunts, a great Edmonton band, and Dragonette; I don’t know what part of Canada there’re from. What im trying to say, is look to Canadian bands. They’re great! :smile: :+1:t3:

3 Likes

I’ve been on a Rage Against The Machine kick recently, and reminding myself how damn good those albums are. In the process I ran across this funny story:

I particularly liked

“I used to like peanut butter until I found out it has goddamn peanuts in it. Now as far as I’m concerned it’s completely done.”

and

“I used to be a fan until I found out how your band feels about The Machine.”

4 Likes

The changing of ‘Are we the baddies?’ to ‘Are we the Machine?’ was my favourite.

I just don’t get people raging at celebrities, whether they be musicians, film stars or whatever, for having political opinions. They are human and therefore almost certainly have an opinion.

5 Likes

Subtype of the general assumption that everyone is Just Like Me, and then they suddenly prove they aren’t?

5 Likes

Been eyeing up an amplifier and pair of speakers for a while now but had been putting the purchase off to see whether prices would stabilise. Covid, the components shortage and inflation all did a number on hi-fi prices.

Took the plunge today, they arrive Friday :smiley:

6 Likes

Ooh, whatd’ja git? I’m a recovering stereo weirdo.

Yamaha amp, Elac bookshelf speakers and the company threw in all the interconnects I’d need and some free stands.

3 Likes

Free interconnects? But that’s how they gitcha! I already like your seller. Heheh.

1 Like

So I’ve just noticed one of these in my pantry…

pics-peanut-butter

Which is, you know, not unlike…

pics-peanut-ratm

Part of me wants the whole thing to have been a marketing stunt :‍)

3 Likes

My living room has been taken over by cardboard boxes.

Amp is unpacked. Stands are assembled. I’ve just spent the last little bit terminating some speaker cable.

Took me longer than I’d like to admit to realise the speaker terminals on the amplifier had little plastic bungs in them. Wondered why my banana plugs didn’t seem to fit.

Tea break now, then just got the speakers to unpack.

7 Likes

I bought some banana plugs that had shrink fit plastic on the plugs. (Why? Why?). It took a while to figure out why nothing worked. (A review of the plug mentioned it….)

3 Likes

Finished!

Now I need to decide what to play first.

9 Likes

Anyone else listening to 100 gecs. If nothing else you have to love their album naming convention (album 1 - 1000 gecs, album 2 - 10000 gecs).

My YouTube algorithm has thrown this at me. I recommend winding on until 13 minutes

Babymetal’s new album is currently on repeat for me.

1 Like

I just watched that bit and… he didn’t do any beatboxing? And he started on a popular song which made the crowd go crazy, but in the end it was just the musical riff and him going “ugh ugh” in a really rubbish way. Given the title of the video, I’m totally confused.

1 Like

I had to look it up. At the start of his 3 minutes he programmes that piece of kit with noises that he makes himself.

He then uses that to create the music, so he’s not playing Thunderstruck. He recorded himself making the guitar riff and then the drums and the beat and then loops it all together to get the end effect. Which I think is why everyone goes crazy, watching the other stuff it’s unusual to do a guitar heavy track. Then he does a bit over the top as well.

2 Likes

Ok, if that’s him doing the guitar, he has my respect :‍)

Obligatory Michael Winslow link:

3 Likes