What are you spinning?

Having not listened to much of them for a few years I have to say I’m loving this new Maximo park song. Although I’m not sure how good the German is.Versionen von dir

1 Like

I’m not QUITE done with the new Blind Guardian album, The God Machine, but I feel comfortable saying this is their best since their legendary 1990s run, and I would even say it’s on par with it. Holy smokes, is this ever a banger.

Update: Yeah, confirmed. Album of the year for me, unless somebody pulls a rabbit out of their hat, and it better be a hell of a rabbit.

3 Likes

An embarrassment of riches this weekend! Clutch and Rina Sawayama released new albums yesterday, so I’ve been listening to those two a lot.

Then tonight I got to see Tricot live for the second time (in the same tiny venue as five years ago). Still an amazing band. Just crazy how they can play such complex music so effortlessly and with such energy. Ridiculously fun gig.

The hi-fi is still dominated by Cliff Edwards at the moment (searching the Internet Archive turned up a load of files taken from old 78s he recorded, including quite a few not on any compilation albums), but last night we went to see Loudon Wainwright III in Manchester. Well, Tina didn’t really know what she was going to see as she’d never heard of him, but I’ve been waiting for the opportunity for years.

At 76 he inevitably looked a little frail at times (the tour T-shirts carry the slogan “No nap, I’m crap”) and there were odd moments of a forgotten chord or lyrics, which he handled as easily as you’d expect from someone who’s been doing this stuff for more than half a century. His voice doesn’t seem to have lost anything. This track is from his new album:

4 Likes

I’m slowing getting into Sierra Ferrell. The vibe is just right :ok_hand:

Having just finished the soul-scathing Cyberpunk Edgerunners (so good, so sad), I’ve been listening to this on a loop:

(Hey, any excuse to revisit Franz…)

(I’m not your average sicko… my bank account is zero zero zero… I feel ya, Rat Boy. I feel ya…)

(Broke me into pieces indeed)

(BECCA! TRIP HIM UP!)

And so on. The soundtrack as a general rule is a bunch of bangers… a few too heavy for my tastes, a few too synth-y, but overall, a solid 9/10.

1 Like

Listened to a lot of Franz Ferdinand in the mid-late-2000s when I was at Uni. Think I even saw them live once. Seems like they’re still going?

2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Aahh I didnt know Taytay released a new set of bangers back in Oct!

2 Likes

Sharing this because the audio and video are gorgeous.

Right now I’m copying this CD of Ukulele Jazz by Benny Chong over to my PC so I can listen to it. Took a long time to track down a copy at all, but longer still to drop on one that wasn’t going for silly money. And it’s signed!

Arrived this morning. Madeline Kahn gave it a thorough inspection, as you can see here, so it should be ready to roll.

5 Likes

Stumbled on this while flicking through Instagram reels the other day. They remind me a little of Mad Capsule Markets in their blend of genres, though not so much their actual sound.

1 Like

Ten years since this album came out and I get to hear the whole thing live in September:

1 Like

Went all the way to Manchester last night with a friend to see Messa, an Italian doom band. Despite the trip being not so great in certain areas (missed trains, horrible hostel stay, venue being an old warehouse in the middle of an industrial estate, etc), the gig was amazing. Astonishing how good they sounded, especially their vocalist.

1 Like

I’m enjoying my favorite Canadian Alt-Rock band: Metric - Risk - Official Music Video [HD] - YouTube

1 Like

I love Metric. Thanks for the link, I hadn’t heard that one!

I will say that they have a weird thing for understated videos, as a general rule. Single-shot a lot of the time… my favourite (video, not necessarily song) is probably “Gimme Sympathy”

1 Like

I am a MASSIVE fan of Metric. They are one of a handful of bands that have no bad albums, in my humble opinion. Herself loves them too. This song reminds her of me. All I can say is; right backatcha, Babe! :smile: :hearts: Metric - All Comes Crashing (Official Video) - YouTube

1 Like

I discovered Metric with Scott Pilgrim Vs.The World and was a big fan for a while. I fell off after Synthetica, not through any fault of theirs, just my tastes didn’t align with their music any more. They’re a great band.

2 Likes

I was thinking about saying “I am a MASSIVE Metric fan! I can even name all the members: Envy Adams, Lynette Guycott, and Todd Ingram!” all morning.

Thank you for saving me from myself! :slight_smile:

4 Likes