What are the "unique" zero-overlap games in your collection?

I asked. He said “But only if we can leave it set up on the dining table because we are not going to finish today!”

(I admit I am not fit for a game today though, migraines suck the joy out of games)

1 Like

Feel free to reply here so we can cancel out things in my list!

I have like boatloads of Hollandspiele titles, Cube Rails that are not from Capstone nor Queen Games. Also, 18xx games too.

I have loads of obscure titles, but these are the ones that 1.) doesn’t fit the criteria 2.) worth mentioning

• Tacticum - small tin box abstract 2 player from Kickstarter.
  • Zoocracy - need to play this one, but it’s a political area majority game a la Die Macher (from what I’ve seen)
  • Crime Hotel - trick-taking murder deduction
  • Tindahan - Filipino for “shop”. It’s a trick taking game from Peer Sylvester. Also known as Filipino Fruit Market
  • Power & Weakness/Macht & Ohnmacht - my favourite from Andreas Steding (Hansa Teutonica designer)
  • Magic Money - can’t resist a small box game from Indie Board & Cards
  • Planet Rush - a re-implementation of Tower of Babel
  • Albedo - SVWAG made me bought this
  • Homeworlds - highly regarded by my Geekbuddies
  • Chronicler -an eBay seller tossed it in for a few quid for me. I have zero idea what this game is.
  • Six Sons of the Sultan - old Button Shy game
  • Race for the Chinese Zodiac - not a well received Capstone Game
  • Tetrarchia - small co-op game about the late-Roman Empire. Similar premise to Pandemic Fall of Rome
  • Coyote - SVWAG mentioned this one.
  • 7 Ronin - IDK how it end up at the top of my wishlist
  • Kaivai - another well received game from my Geekbuddies
  • Push It! - a rare find that I am glad to get. So I’m gonna put it here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: @Suz
  • King Chocolate - mini-Container that goes on 2nd hand market for, like, 10 quid. @pillbox
  • Kenjin - I bought this because I saw a review of it from SUSD @Brattyjedi
  • Vampire Queen - have I ever told you guys that I love climbing/trick-taking card games?
  • Shores of Tripoli - SVWAG talked about it and I was one of its playtesters. So this game is a bit special to me.
  • Ortus Regni - another SVWAG mention, and it’s pretty damn good (and hard to find)
  • Spectaculum - imagine Knizia designing a Cube Rail game, but with a travelling circus theme.
  • Billabong - easily one of the best abstracts I’ve played this year and the best abstract I’ve played for years.
  • Bargain Hunter - trick taking game by Uwe Rosenberg
  • Euphrates & Tigris: Contest of Kings - Yep. Tigers & Pots the card game.
  • Terra Nova - my fave abstract for quite a while before Billabong showed up
  • Bridges of Shangri-La - one of my top games ever. Also, I know @yashima sold hers. @pillbox
  • Turn the Tide - awesome trick-taking from Stefan Dorra @Suz
  • Santiago - my fave negotiation game along with Bohnanza + Sidereal
2 Likes

I own all these

==========================================

Not the one from the 1980s, but mine is the latter FFG edition

I don’t own this one, but what are your thoughts? I am keen on getting it but it’s very pricey

1 Like

My thought on red flag:
Rules are simple and well written. Production is nice, with none of GMTs signature misprints.
Awaiting its first play in the next week or so.

Not very helpful!

2 Likes

I had this on my SPIEL list last year to give it a closer look. Never did though… are these good? What are they really?

My most likely candidate would be Dual Gauge. However I’m like 99% sure @lalunaverde has it.

Possibly Poison from Dr Knizia, or Durian from Oink?

2 Likes

Calming mazes with some light folding/flipping to solve them. One of the boxes has some misprints in early editions that are items you can’t reach if you stick to the rules.
Good if cheap or you plan to pass on. 7 mazes per box, 5-10 mins per maze maximum.

1 Like

I considered Coyote and it is still in and out of the carts…
I regret getting rid of Shangri La now that I have played so many games. But now that a new edition of Princes of Florence has been announced (my other regretted donation) maybe that will come back as well.

I looked at Shores of Tripoli when Spacebiff reviewed it but I think it wouldn’t see the table here. Would love to try it though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have Artifacts Inc, Kitten and the Tea Dragon Society (and Tea Dragon Society Autumn Harvest). Parter of my lighter small box game section that I can play easily with my wife without much effort in re-teaching.

Let’s have a look at my shelves…
Hand of Fate: Ordeals (KS based on the video game. Card drafting dungeon crawler. Quite good fun, haven’t really played it enough)
Pulp Detective (Elder Sign like dice roller, got mainly for the artwork)
Rifles in the Peninsula (solo wargame that comes in a bag)
Storm Above the Reich (another solo wargame)
Warhammer Quest (original version; kept for nostalgia more than anything)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Party (film spin off by Weta; family game for my daughter)

1 Like

Looks it up
OMG I must own this immediately.

3 Likes

Is this worth it? The base game is so simple, it didn’t seem like an expansion would be much point.

I also had Warrior Knights back in the day - also Blood Royale though I wasn’t such a fan of that. They don’t seem to have survived house moves though.

@Phil, I don’t have The Battle for Hill 218, but I do have Ogre: Objective 218 which I believe uses the same core rules.

@EnterTheWyvern, if I ever see Rush ‘n’ Crush going cheap…

@yashima, I still have most of Chez Geek (though I’d be happy to sell it), also Goth and Greek. Trivia: it came out about the same time as Munchkin, and everyone at SJGames thought M was an amusing one-off while CG would have staying power and get lots of expansions and so on.

Some obscurities from my collection. Not including anything that I’m trying to get rid of.

Games my wife likes:

• Rivers, Roads & Rails (basically domino-esque tile-laying)
  • Cats’ Mansion (get the cat to its toy, but only you know which cat is yours or which toy you want)

Games that are low-ranked on BGG:

• The Bird Told Me To Do It (Carl Chudyk tree-builder, a bit of a head-cracker)
  • Statecraft (which I bought on a whim to make a better version and never got round to it)
  • Bad Maps (pirate programming, bought because it was cheap and l enjoyed it the one time I played it but I’ll never get it out while I have VOLT and Robo Rally)
  • Witching Hour (twisty take-that set-collection, I only know about it because Indie were selling it one year I was demoing for them at Essen, I rather like it but don’t play it much)
  • Human Era (social deduction with time travel, not brilliant but I enjoy it, needs 3d-printed bits which I made)
  • Among Thieves (iterated prisoner’s dilemma the game, another Indie-Essen find)
  • Shogunate (move clans up and down the greasy pole, which ones you win with is secret, Indie-Essen)
  • Pirate 21 (blackjack with special card powers, Indie-Essen)
  • Hex Hex/Hex Hex Next (pass the grenade)
  • Blame Space (the starship is in trouble, your job is to avoid getting the blame, fast and frantic and I’d never play twice in a session but it’s a good mood resetter)

That’ll do for now…

1 Like

Have it

Have it

Have both

Got it

Got those two

Have it

Have it

Have it

Have that one too

3 Likes

This is exactly what I assumed would happen, now give us your games :wink:

4 Likes

I’ll work on it when the kids are down for a nap :grin:

3 Likes

I used to have Chez Goth and Chez Guevara as well.

Funny they should have thought CG had staying power over Munchkin. So did we. I sold Munchkin long ago… I don’t remember much about it except it becoming unpleasant after a few plays.

Speaking as someone who has demonstrated Munchkin professionally, I think that it’s nearly a decent light introductory sort of game, but:

• it takes too long (if it were reliably a half-hour game it would be better)
  • it usually ends in exhaustion when everyone’s spent their “stop the active player from winning” cards faster than they can replenish their stock, and because of that the winner can largely be determined by seating order.
2 Likes

Sorry, gotta cross this one off! We’ve got it (and we’re not even the only ones in our friend group who do!)

1 Like

Honestly, not really. It is very much of the same thing again!

1 Like