V-Commandos: Helmet

Bruno already has one, so we could all have an enemy uniform. How important is it to keep a crowbar? And is it worth giving up a silenced weapon at this point for a stronger but noisier one?

We can’t give up the weapons that are printed on the cards, though the other slots are flexible. The MG42 is great for when things have gone to pot, though ideally one tries to play so that it’s not needed. Crowbars depend on the map, but blocking enemy entrances can be pretty useful.

Bruno will do as you suggest. I reckon it’s worth keeping one crowbar, and it might as well be his, given that he can get places to use it. He’ll hang onto his enemy uniform; having us all in that for the next terrain might well be useful.

I will drop the crowbar and take an enemy uniform as we move N. I currently have TNT, but looking at the objective, it may not be as useful to us as the MG42. Thoughts?

Either will set off the alarm. TNT isn’t needed for the objective. A charge will kill everyone in a tile; an MG42 shot will on average kill two enemies in a small tile, 2⅔ in a medium tile, and of course is reusable.

So that sounds as if we’re going for:

Medic: first aid kit, uniform
Bruno: crowbar, uniform
Officer: MG42, uniform

Looks good to me.

I concur, let’s go

@RogerBW asked for a die roll:
Sorry about the delay - a busy evening.
Not that it really matters, but Medic attempts to retain the first aid kit:
d6: 6 for 5+

That enemy drops another Spotted token, which at least gets it out of circulation.
So we just have to survive this

Enemy phase

Enemy reinforcements

• N: enemy-3
    enemy-2-hammer
  • S: enemy-1
    enemy-2
  • E: enemy-2
    enemy-1
  • W: enemy-2
    enemy-1

Enemy movement

Those that can, move east.

Enemy shooting

No commando is visible

Turn 7

OK, we can get out. Each of us can save one and exit via the trapdoor – and there are more than 8 enemy left in the bag.

I’ll set up the second terrain in the morning.

Looking at the setup cards, we missed a rule - if there’s any enemy on the cable car control objective, the cable car doesn’t move. But the only way I can see to make that work is if you leave someone behind, because it’s an entrance tile, it’s not in shooting range from the cable car, exploding a non-explodable objective loses you the game, and it has to be empty at the end of the enemy phase.

This is a map that John and I have played before, though not as part of this operation. We do get to remove one entrance of our choice, before we turn the event card; I think I probably favour north.

Current status of enemy bag:

30 enemy-1/2
  5 enemy-1/2-hammer
  7 enemy-3
  3 zero

Equipment bag:

3 MP40
  2 StG44
  6 TNT
  2 bombardment
  4 crowbar
  4 enemy uniform
  4 first aid
  7 grenade
 10 spotted

I’d agree with removing the North enemy entrance.

Which guy is our target and where do we need to interrogate him?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see. We just spend 8 AP in the room with the objective marker.

In that case, I think North is good.

Should we just move to the small room to the E and hold there, or use all our moves to get into the medium size room to the NW? The latter runs the risk of enemies coming in through the W door and moving N into us though.

Or we could gather in the medium room just to the N, crowbar the W door and try to shoot the guy to the E. Has the same problem though with enemies coming from the S if they move W.

Bruno can jump from the alarm room directly into the objective room, though it needs a stealth check (he
can’t shoot through walls).

We can check the event, anyway:

So if one of us burns an action to don the uniform that’s quite promising…

I will totally do that. Out of the hole, don uniform, move E. I do not need to be on a tile with enemy units to order them around, right?

Correct.

@JGD, shall we all uniform up at this point?

Yup, let’s do it. Up, uniform, East.

OK, done that for everyone. (As a reminder, I’ve put a large semitransparent uniform icon over each of our player cards.)
Enemy in order, east south west:
enemy-3
enemy-2
enemy-3

(In this mode, an enemy-3 gets 3 dice and doesn’t lock on to objectives, but otherwise acts like a standard enemy.)

So those three newcomers are our targets for moving. My thoughts:

Western 3 could go into the alarm room, which would make life easier for us. Eastern 3 might go south. Southern 2 might as well stay where he is. And whoever does this won’t be able to be stealthy in the NW room next turn.

Those moves look sound. My plan is N, crowbar the W entrance, N again. Does that make sense?

Ah, I didn’t take account of our being en-uniformed. So for two actions each of us can get to the NW stealthily next turn. Third action for officer can be re-saving an AP after the one they’re about to spend; for Bruno, crowbarring the W entrance; for me, perhaps take a shot into the S entrance room, though there’s the risk of being spotted.

Definitely agree we move the W3 into the Alarm room. I’d say also move the one in the Alarm room E, which makes it less likely he will be near us when moving back to the trap door. The E3 could go S.

Move N, N, shoot open lock